LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 & LT4 corvette valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by RUDEDOG
Yes. That's all you have to do is bend them. That's what I did and it works well. No need to cut anything and compromise the structure.
They're discussing the composite valve covers here, not the metal ones.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro350z28
The LT1 covers and LT4 covers are the same except the insides. The LT1 covers you have to modify by removing all the drip tabs, and the LT4's are composite and everything is already removed to fit the Crane 1.6's that came with the LT4. Just sold some LT4's not to long ago from my vette on the vette site. They gave me the complete run down.
GM has this "thing" about changing stuff. Here's an example:

My son and I both have 96 LT1 Vettes. Both engines originally came composite valve covers. None of the four valve covers have drip tabs.

His stock valve covers fit over his Scorpion NSA 1.7 RRs without any cover modification whatsoever.

However, since my AFR heads had longer valves, etc., I had to go with after-market covers to clear the poly-locks of my RRs. It was the height of the poly-locks that hit the underside of the valve covers, but all else cleared.

I could have increased my lifter preload, which would have lowered the poly-locks giving me the needed clearance, but I decided just to go with new covers instead of doing that.

So my thinking is there's a difference in what covers GM put on "Y" body cars and 'F' body cars. I've been caught in that trap before; assuming what applies to a 'Y' body also applies to a "F" body.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
I had the worst luck with the gaskets on the valve covers. Every time I pulled them off, the gasket would expand by like 3-4 inches. I ended up having to cut them down and attach them with RTV into the groove in the valve cover.

I have bad luck with simple things.
Mine do that too. I just stuff the gasket back in the pocket. Seems to work.