LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

???LT1/M6 car No Crank Sometimes, Other Times Fires Right Up???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:22 PM

???LT1/M6 car No Crank Sometimes, Other Times Fires Right Up???

OK, this could be a lot of things but I'm hoping to know where to go next...

First a summary. The first time I go to start the car, whether it's been in the garage or outside, if it's sat overnight it WILL start the first time I turn the key. Meaning the starter engages. After that, it's anyone's guess. After I drive it a mile or 30 miles, doesn't seem to matter, then try to restart it, it may or may not start, meaning that when I turn the key to the 'crank' position, the starter does NOT crank. It acts like there's no juice to the solenoid.

What I HAVE done to try to fix it... First, I tried a new key, as the VATS module came up here in the searches. New key did the same thing. Next I tried replacing the resistor in the key with a regular resistor in the wiring as directed by help from folks here on this forum, but still the same problem.

One odd thing is that it is somewhat temperature dependent... Meaning that if it's a hot day out and I drive a lot, getting the motor up to full temp, I'm less likely to get a crank. If it's a cool day and I only run short errands, I'm way more likely to get a crank. Solenoid?

I figure this could be several things, from the clutch switch that keeps the car from starting in gear to the starter solenoid or several safety switches in between. Is there another safety switch that I'm missing besides the clutch?

help

Last edited by 350350; 04-13-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:46 PM

Re: ???LT1/M6 car No Crank Sometimes, Other Times Fires Right Up???

When it dosen't start does the car have any power inside meaning lights/radio etc. If not check the battery cables. Ask me how I know? Just give them a shake and try to start the car or have someone do it while you r trying to start.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Whitlock97
When it dosen't start does the car have any power inside meaning lights/radio etc. If not check the battery cables. Ask me how I know? Just give them a shake and try to start the car or have someone do it while you r trying to start.
Yeah, all the other power stuff works exactly like it would if the car was cranking whether it actually cranks or not. I'll try the battery cable thing though, I don't know why I hadn't thought of that as I used to drive beaters and that happened a lot.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:52 PM

Coming from the son of an Alternator and Starter repair business owner (I just asked him about it! ), I'd check all your cables first. Battery cables and the ones on the back of the starter. Make sure they're all tight and the ones next to the battery don't have corrosion. Then if that doesn't help, you need to have that starter checked out. The only thing bad about it though is it's hard for them to check it if it only messes up when hot.

Next time it won't turn over, try LIGHTLY!!!! tapping on the solenoid with a screwdriver or something while someone is trying to start it, that could answer a lot of questions.

Good luck.
Kyle
Old 04-13-2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by KyleBlue85Iroc-Z
Next time it won't turn over, try LIGHTLY!!!! tapping on the solenoid with a screwdriver or something while someone is trying to start it, that could answer a lot of questions.
Exactly what I was thinking. Starter or solenoid. Tap on that bastard and I bet it starts.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 PM

my car does the same thing. i tried different keys like you to no avail. i have been stranded in a parking lot numerous times because of this. this has worked for me so far, i turn the key to the on position and let the security light go out, once it goes out it fires right up. so far so good it has been over a month without one hiccup.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:02 PM

Give the starter a direct 12V and see if it turns over. If it does, likely culprits are your battery/starter wiring or ignition switch.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 961le
my car does the same thing. i tried different keys like you to no avail. i have been stranded in a parking lot numerous times because of this. this has worked for me so far, i turn the key to the on position and let the security light go out, once it goes out it fires right up. so far so good it has been over a month without one hiccup.
I need to try this for sure, because another piece of the puzzle I forgot about is the security light and the red light on the dash. If the red light on the dash is NOT lit with the ignition in the 'ON' position, there is NO chance of a crank. I can just sit and turn the key on and off without even trying to crank, and if the red light on the dash is not lit, there's no point in even trying to crank. The second that little red light comes on, CRANK FAST! And it starts every time that red light is on. Then, my security light is on sporadically throughout my drive. I guess I haven't tried to see where the security light is when I turn the car off, if that makes any difference. Shouldn't the security light shut off once the car is running?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by KyleBlue85Iroc-Z
Coming from the son of an Alternator and Starter repair business owner (I just asked him about it! ), I'd check all your cables first. Battery cables and the ones on the back of the starter. Make sure they're all tight and the ones next to the battery don't have corrosion. Then if that doesn't help, you need to have that starter checked out. The only thing bad about it though is it's hard for them to check it if it only messes up when hot.

Good luck.
Kyle
If it turns out to be the starter or solenoid, can you get me a deal on a replacement???
Old 04-15-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 350350
If it turns out to be the starter or solenoid, can you get me a deal on a replacement???
Sure!