LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

lt1 not turning over still!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:57 PM

lt1 not turning over still!

my lt1 is not starting. i installed a new starter and dropped a new battery in. i figured out that the motor was not locked up. i pulled out all of the plugs, disconnected the fuel lines and, pulled the fuel rail with the injectors. i cranked it over and the motor rotated with no problem. i examined the fuel rail and the injectors and everything looked good. i soaked the injectors with seafoam to clean them. then i connected the fuel rail and injectors to the fuel lines and turned the key, no leaks. so then reinstalled everything with new plugs and injector fuses. tried to turn it over, still the motor will not rotate or start. i still think its the injectors and fuel rail leaking fuel into the combustion chamber. so what do yall think?

Last edited by texas94z; 01-19-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:16 PM

Is the starter solenoid engaging?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 PM

yep the starter turned the motor over freely when i pulled out the plugs. i put my thumb over the spark plug hole and felt the compression.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM

Check your battery connections and grounds. Make sure they are clean and tight.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by texas94z
my lt1 is not turning over...... i turned it over and the motor rotated with no problem... tried to turn it over, still the motor will not rotate or start. i still think its the injectors and fuel rail leaking fuel into the combustion chamber. so what do yall think?
So the engine will not rotate with the plugs in but when you disconnect the fuel rails, plugs, etc. it would turn over ....I am assuming that when you say "turn over" you are referring to the engine cranking or rotating....
Hope I am not the only one who got a little confused when I read that
Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

were the plugs soaking wet?

take the complete rail of with the lines on and turn the key on...see if one is leaking. You could also see if the fuel pressure is bleeding off after you cut the key on to prime the pump.

If you think its hydrolocking don't keep trying to crank it
Old 01-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
were the plugs soaking wet?

take the complete rail of with the lines on and turn the key on...see if one is leaking. You could also see if the fuel pressure is bleeding off after you cut the key on to prime the pump.

If you think its hydrolocking don't keep trying to crank it
i thought it was hydrolocking. when i checked the old plugs it smelled like fuel. a two were a little wet and the others had normal wear. i think i need a new fuel rail and injectors to solve the problem.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
So the engine will not rotate with the plugs in but when you disconnect the fuel rails, plugs, etc. it would turn over ....I am assuming that when you say "turn over" you are referring to the engine cranking or rotating....
Hope I am not the only one who got a little confused when I read that
sorry ill edit to avoid confusion.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Did you check the Fuel pressure regulator. Take the vaccum line of that feeds to it and see if it is dry inside. You should NOT have any fuel in the line.

Last edited by 94zgreenmachine; 01-19-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
Did you check the Fuel pressure regulator. Take the vaccum line of that feeds to it and see if it is dry inside. You should NOT have any fuel in the line.
ill do that asap. Do i need a new fuel pressure regulator if the vaccum line is wet with fuel.

btw GO PACKERS!
Old 01-20-2008, 08:02 AM

ill do that asap. Do i need a new fuel pressure regulator if the vaccum line is wet with fuel.

btw GO PACKERS!
Yes, there should be no fuel in there. I had this happen to my silverado. It acted like it was flooded and would take for ever to fire up. It progressively got worse.

It is -12 here right now, without the wind chill. Perfect weather to play football. Especially a NFC championship game
Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM

ok that fuel pressure regulator could be bad. ill replace it and see what happens.

the giants have no chance with that weather. farve is undefeated in 20 degree and below weather i believe. hehe

Last edited by texas94z; 01-20-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 PM

the giants have no chance with that weather. farve is undefeated in 20 degree and below weather i believe. hehe
I am just glad it is the Giants coming here and we didn't have to go to Dallas. We got no luck in that damn stadium!!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM

This is a little confusing since you stated in your original post that you checked for leaking fuel injectors and you said there were no leaks. Then you said you think you need a new fuel rail and injectors. What would make you think that?

The plugs are going to smell like fuel if you have been trying to start the motor due to the fact that fuel has been added by the injectors. Unless you are getting massive amounts of fuel blowing out the spark plug hole(s) in the cylinder head when turning over the motor with the starter (obviously with the spark plugs out), then you are not "hydraulicing" the motor.

Put a voltmeter on the battery when you are attempting to actually start the car to ensure the battery voltage is great enough. What is the voltmeter reading? Are the battery cables getting warm when you are trying to start the car? You should first determine if the starting system is adequate to start the car.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:16 PM

ok that fuel pressure regulator could be bad. ill replace it and see what happens.

Romo > Farve lol j/k man

Quick Reply: lt1 not turning over still!