LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Re: LT1 running Rich

Originally Posted by numskull

Since i was messing around with it today a had it running after i drove it about 1/4 down the rd and i raised the hood and i smelles gas. So i put the vaccum hose back on the fpr and the smell went away...that norm? i saw no gas coming out of it tho.

thanks for all your help man!!
If you smelled gas without the vacuum hose connected, it may be a sign of a leaking fuel pressure regulator (FPR). The fuel would be dripping out of the nipple on the FPR, not on the vacuum line. If the FPR is leaking, it would explain the rich condition, but I would expect to see the worst carbon buildup on the plugs on the passenger bank of the engine.

If it is leaking, check the oil and make sure it isn't getting loaded up with fuel. If you get enough fuel pouring out of the FPR, you can wash down the cylinder walls, damage the rings and dilute the oil.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The date on the files indicate 2/2/12. Would appear to be BEFORE you replaced the t'stat. It isn't getting hot enough to go into closed loop.

You have DTC 33, high MAP. MAP is 80-83kPA at idle, vs a barometer of 100kPa. You either have a large cam, a not-so-hot-tune, or a valve adjustment problem, etc.

Run a log with the t'stat in it. It should be running around 180*F.
Yeah its a pretty big cam. I can take another log this weekend...i have to drag my desktop pc out to the car since my laptop will not connect for some reason. I have the LT1 Edit Software for the car but im too new to this to try and no one close to me knows much and the 1 place that does wants like 400 bucks to check my tune and change it if it needs it.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM

If you smelled gas without the vacuum hose connected, it may be a sign of a leaking fuel pressure regulator (FPR). The fuel would be dripping out of the nipple on the FPR, not on the vacuum line. If the FPR is leaking, it would explain the rich condition, but I would expect to see the worst carbon buildup on the plugs on the passenger bank of the engine.

If it is leaking, check the oil and make sure it isn't getting loaded up with fuel. If you get enough fuel pouring out of the FPR, you can wash down the cylinder walls, damage the rings and dilute the oil.
It has a holley fpr on it...will a stock on do the job of reducing the flow to the proper pressure? I was planning on changing the oil this weekend. I cant check the oil level because the jacklegs that built the car in NYC speedshop took the dipstick out and welded it up because of the hi compression.....never heard that before....but ok. So i change it about 1 time a month to keep an eye on it and see if its using oil.
As far as carbon build up, both sides seem to be equal, when you look at the plugs all good and black..lol
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Stock FPR should work fine. What is the pressure now?

What exactly did they weld up - the tube for the dipstick of the hole in the block for the dipstick tube? Never heard of anything like that either.... and that's due to "high compression"? Maybe it had massive ring blowby, and the pressure was blowing the dipstick tube out, and pouring oil out.

Some of the 4-bolt main conversion caps will block the dipstick path.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM

Stock FPR should work fine. What is the pressure now?

What exactly did they weld up - the tube for the dipstick of the hole in the block for the dipstick tube? Never heard of anything like that either.... and that's due to "high compression"? Maybe it had massive ring blowby, and the pressure was blowing the dipstick tube out, and pouring oil out.

Some of the 4-bolt main conversion caps will block the dipstick path.
That could be it, it has splined 4 bolt billet caps. Probably so, since theres no blow by up top at the valve covers.

FPR is currently at 30. I can adjust it to 40-42 and it with flood the completely engine out.

Here is all the info off the spec sheet I got with the car.

There are roughly 10,000 miles on the motor and even less on the rear. The car only has <52,000 miles and a clean title. It was professionally built by a speed shop in New York. Below is a list of most of the modifications:

Engine

Forged 383 short block

Splined Billet 4-bolt caps

Eagle forged crank

Eagle forged H-beam 5.7 rods

SRP Forged flat top pistons

Lunati hydraulic roller cam

Cloyes double roller timing chain

CSI electric water pump

ATI serpentine balancer

Heads

Ported LT1 castings

Crane 1.6 roller rockers

Crane valve springs

Stainless steel valves

Intake

Port matched LT1 intake

BBK 58mm throttle body

Volant LS1 ram air intake

Ignition

Stock PCM conservatively tuned with LT1 edit (included)

MSD 6AL ignition box

MSD Launch control #8735

MSD coil

MSD wires

Auto Meter tach and shift light

Drive Train

T-56 6-speed transmission

B&M Ripper shifter

S.P.E.C. stage 4 ceramic clutch (extremely grabby, but totally awesome)

Custom 3 %u00BD driveshaft

Moser Engineering 12 bolt rear with newer 4.11 motive gears / full spool

Suspension

Hal QA1 12-way adjustable shocks (front)

Competition Engineering drag shocks (rear)

S&W adjustable torque arm w/ driveshaft safety loop

Pete Z lower control arms/traction bars

Weld Prostar wheels

Exhaust

Hooker Super Competition long tube headers w/ O2 sensors & AIR tubes

Custom Y-pipe with cut-outs

Q-Tec electric cut-outs

Borla stainless cat back

Fuel System

Dual Walbro 255 LPH in-tank fuel pumps (second pump turns on when N2O is armed)

Accell 36 lb injectors

Accell fuel pressure regulator

Auto Meter fuel pressure gauge

Nitrous system

NX Gen II LT1 kit (adjustable HP levels)

NOS Time-based progressive controller #15835BNOS

MSD timing retard control #8982

MSD RPM window switch

Chassis

10-point custom roll bar

Tubular sub frame connectors

G-Force 5-point restraints

EGR, PCV, HVAC delete

Battery relocated to trunk

Moroso sealed battery box

Mr. Gasket main power switch

Harwood functional ram-air hood

Line-loc on front brakes

Power brake vacuum reserve canister

Last edited by numskull; 02-28-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Can't have the right injector size in the program. You're pulling 17% of the fuel out by running at 30psi instead of 43.5psi. Switching to a stock FPR is going to push it back up to 43.5psi.

Who tuned it?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:53 PM

Can't have the right injector size in the program. You're pulling 17% of the fuel out by running at 30psi instead of 43.5psi. Switching to a stock FPR is going to push it back up to 43.5psi.

Who tuned it?
I assume the engine builder in NYC. Whats crazy is that is I drive it normal, I still get 17-19 mpg...lol

Here is a quick video I took, as you can see its not smoking at idle, but if I rev it it will, and you can smell gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e1KF...eature=related

Last edited by numskull; 02-29-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:59 AM

Who tuned it?
I have my datamaster log of the closed loop. Its in open loop for 20 secs then goes to closed loop....I forgot to turn my water pump on till the end....When its idled down to abot 700-800 in closed loop the fuel pressure is a touch under 30?

closed_loop_eng.uni - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

Ii have also located my LT1 edit file that is supose to be in my pcm is you have access to that software I can send that to ya.

Last edited by numskull; 03-01-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Administrator

I'll look the file over when I get a chance. I don't review PCM tunes - I ditched my stock PCM 12 years ago. I had LT1_Edit, but was using it for odds and ends, not a full performance tune.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM

I'll look the file over when I get a chance. I don't review PCM tunes - I ditched my stock PCM 12 years ago. I had LT1_Edit, but was using it for odds and ends, not a full performance tune.
Thanks. Im reading up on that software incase I need to change something...But i was thinking, I have a large cam, in return has low vaccum, reason for my map code? but i also have a vaccum canister, shouldnt that help, my brakes are fine.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Administrator

It goes into closed loop at 206 seconds run time, with the O2's active and the coolant temp high enough. That's what yours did.

High MAP code is still there, and will probably remain with the 80kPa MAP at idle.

Major case of split BLM's - Cell 16 is the idle cell, and by the end of the log, the left BLM has dropped to 117 (pulling out 8.6% fuel) and the right BLM has elevated to 151 (adding 18% extra fuel). This is a common problem with large aftermarket throttle bodys.

TPS voltage at idle look OK.

Its idling at 700RPM, when its programmed to idle at 600RPM. The idle air controller has dropped down to 9 counts at some points, in response and still isn't pulling the idle down. May be a vacuum leak, faulty IAC, or a stuck throttle cable or blade (although that would throw the TPS volts off). Later in the log, the IAC is 25 counts, and its still idling high - say 675RPM.

MAF flow (8.84 GPS) looks correct.

Injector pulse width is high on the right side due to the elevated BLM.

System voltage is a little low at 12.4V.

Inlet air temp stays at 57.2*F. Is it possible someone stuck a resistor in the IAT sensor?
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 PM

It goes into closed loop at 206 seconds run time, with the O2's active and the coolant temp high enough. That's what yours did.

High MAP code is still there, and will probably remain with the 80kPa MAP at idle.

Major case of split BLM's - Cell 16 is the idle cell, and by the end of the log, the left BLM has dropped to 117 (pulling out 8.6% fuel) and the right BLM has elevated to 151 (adding 18% extra fuel). This is a common problem with large aftermarket throttle bodys.

Its idling at 700RPM, when its programmed to idle at 600RPM. The idle air controller has dropped down to 9 counts at some points, in response and still isn't pulling the idle down. May be a vacuum leak, faulty IAC, or a stuck throttle cable or blade (although that would throw the TPS volts off). Later in the log, the IAC is 25 counts, and its still idling high - say 675RPM.

Inlet air temp stays at 57.2*F. Is it possible someone stuck a resistor in the IAT sensor?
IAT and BLM, sry, but what is these. It was about 65* out today when I did the log,I can look for a resistor of I know where its at..
But of not??. I have already Changed the map and IAC sensors...

In your professional op what should I do first. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM

I spoke with a person about my car this weekend, the last owner was an older guy and wasnt keen on computized cars, I was told he didnt like how low it idled so he tryed to adjust the screw on the throttle body....urg.
I checked for vac leaks this weekend, didnt find any. Also the car was tuned with a 4.11 gear but the owner before went to a 3.73, does this need changed in the tune?
And is there a way to properly set the screw back on my throttle body? There is a link in my sig, i have a clip of idle with a few revs all in one clio, ypu can see running in closed loop

Last edited by numskull; 03-05-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Screw the screw out until the RPM starts to climb, and the IAC counts hit "0". Then start backing off the throttle stop screw SLOWLY until the RPM drops to the programmed idle speed and the IAC counts are in the range of 20-30 counts. Then check the TPS voltage to make sure it is within the range of 0.30 - 0.80V. Some people feel they get the best results with the TPS voltage near 0.50V but there is no reason for that to be the case. The PCM will accept anything between 0.20 - 0.90V and use that value to set the baseline for 0% throttle position.

If the PCM was programmed for 4.11 gears, and they installed 3.73 gears, your speedo will be reading 10% lower than actual speed, or about 54MPH at a true 60 MPH.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 AM

Screw the screw out until the RPM starts to climb, and the IAC counts hit "0". Then start backing off the throttle stop screw SLOWLY until the RPM drops to the programmed idle speed and the IAC counts are in the range of 20-30 counts. Then check the TPS voltage to make sure it is within the range of 0.30 - 0.80V. Some people feel they get the best results with the TPS voltage near 0.50V but there is no reason for that to be the case. The PCM will accept anything between 0.20 - 0.90V and use that value to set the baseline for 0% throttle position.

If the PCM was programmed for 4.11 gears, and they installed 3.73 gears, your speedo will be reading 10% lower than actual speed, or about 54MPH at a true 60 MPH.
Thanks I will do that. I guess theres no point in worrying about the speedo, since it doesnt work.lol

Quick Reply: LT1 running Rich