LT1 swap LS7

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:07 PM

LT1 swap LS7

motor mounts same?
or will it even fit?
just a question off the top of my head but like to find out more about it
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM

It will fit. Motor mounts will be completely different. I'd suspect that the swap would be in line with that of an LS1 swap being thats the closest kin to an LS7 thats seen the light of day in a production F-body. Engine management, motor mounts, exhaust, etc will probably be a huge pain to get figured out but cool nonetheless.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:40 PM

They crammed one of those in a Solstice and a GTO as well I believe. With a little effort and persuasion, I'm sure you will get it in the f-body engine bay as well. I'm sure the cost factor of everything will not be very pleasing though.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:46 PM

ive actually thought of this as my college project (going to college for auto resto), but i think i'll end up doing a LS2
Old 12-11-2006, 08:50 PM

Man, I've been away from this forum for a while, and more so from the LT1 Tech Section. It blows me away we're now talking about an LS7 transplant on an LT1 powered car.
A local shop had done this, but into a 65 Chevelle. The Chevelle has decent room to work with. I can tell you that a project like this will require quite a bit of fabrication. Perhaps the headers will need to be fabricated, motor mount support brackets, and things like that. If the way the Chevelle came out is an indication of what you would get, I'd say it's worth it.
Goose
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 AM

It has been done before, over at LS1Tech.com, Katech had done this swap into an LS1 car. Do a search over there and see what you come up with. I believe it was a pretty extensive swap, due to the dry sump oiling system.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by zhevy-1
Man, I've been away from this forum for a while, and more so from the LT1 Tech Section. It blows me away we're now talking about an LS7 transplant on an LT1 powered car.
A local shop had done this, but into a 65 Chevelle. The Chevelle has decent room to work with. I can tell you that a project like this will require quite a bit of fabrication. Perhaps the headers will need to be fabricated, motor mount support brackets, and things like that. If the way the Chevelle came out is an indication of what you would get, I'd say it's worth it.
Goose
well fabing motor mounts and rails and cross members i can do. now headers i have no idea how to fab them. like angle and bends should be at and not exceed. so i guess it will be a trial and error process
Old 12-16-2006, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
ive actually thought of this as my college project (going to college for auto resto), but i think i'll end up doing a LS2
are you going to wyotech or uti? i went to wyotech in PA and i can say when you get into high performance and chassis fab that you will be able to do it but you need perfect attendence and not **** off the instructors and you will have the tools to do it. and you got about 2 month about 40 hrs a week to do it in. plus you got two to three other people to be your grinders and **** but you got to do the angles. but they teach you EVERYTHING and the instrutors have dirt cars and drag too so they know what works and doesn't. think about wyotech. the first 6 months suck but the rest of the time is amazing
Old 12-16-2006, 12:54 PM

They just put one into an 98-02 camaro in the latest issue of GM high-tech performance...i think it was actually done by GMPP if im not mistaken
Old 12-16-2006, 01:06 PM

yup, they just did it and used Kooks headers, basically everything that will fit in the LS1 cars will fit in an LT1 car outside of hood clearance they are demensionally exactly the same. In the article hey commented that the dry sump sat where the battery is and they had to remove a couple inches from it as it was too tall from my understanding. The battery was of course relocated to the rear. They also used a BMR k member to clear the oil pan, stock LS1 motor mounts bolted right up. They used aftmkt engine management and the racepak inst cluster... I only remember racepak because I've looked at purchasing thier stuff. Keep in mind that the LT1 t56 wont bolt up to the LSx motors without swapping out the input shaft. Don't know if the 4L60E is interchangeable, or if you even want to use it in that application.

It's involved, but not more so than many of the projects out there. Physically getting it in there shouldn't be too hard. The biggest drawback is of course expense. An LS7 isn't cheap, and neither is the hardware to run it. You need some deep pockets to play with that swap, and probably more than 2 months to work out all the kinks.

With that said I can think of easier and cheaper ways to get 500+ horses.