LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 will not turn over

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:26 AM

LT1 will not turn over

I bought a 1996 TA LT1 six speed car. The clutch pedal will not push down something is jammed. I tried removing the solenoid from the tranny thinking it might be the fork but it still won't push down. So I wedged something under it to depress the sqaure black switch that the pedal would normally hit, turn the key and nothing to the starter at all. I have full power to everything else in the car it just won't turn over. I have no experience with a six speed so I'm lost. Does anyone have any suggestions what I can try next?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Re: LT1 will not turn over

There's no "solenoid" on the clutch fork.... let's assume you mean you pulled the hydraulic slave cylinder. What did you "Wedge something under"? Do you mean you jammed the switch that confirms the clutch is depressed?

By "something is jammed" do you mean that no matter how hard you push on the clutch pedal, it won't move? And even after you pulled the slave cylinder off, and pressed on the clutch pedal, nothing happened? Normally you would have destroyed the slave cylinder by doing that, blowing it apart.

When you turn the key to the "start" position, what exactly happens? Do you hear the solenoid click? Does the starter engage. Does the starter attempt turn the engine at all?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah slave cylinder, that's what I meant, couldn't think of the name of it, brain fart.
I removed it and the pedal still wouldn't push down. It will move maybe an inch, I tried appling a fair amount of pressure and nothing.
I wedged a piece of wood between the clutch pedal and the black switch under it where the pedal would normally hit.
When I turn the key I have full power to everything, I can hear the fuel pump run, but when I turn the key to start you hear nothing, not even a click from the starter.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Is the "SECURITY" light flashing?

Verify with an ohm meter that the clutch switch is actually closing and completing the circuit.

Check the battery terminals and the starter connections for corrosion. Check the wire from the battery to the starter for corrosion or damage.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 AM

I verified the security light goes out after the normal few seconds. I will have to check the switch. One thing I didn't mention is the battery is in the trunk. I am getting 12 volts to the cable under the hood. Starter will be next to check as well.

Thanks for the tip about not removing the slave and pushing the pedal in.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 AM

I unplugged the neutral safety switch, jumpered it and now the car turns over. Now on to the clutch problem.