LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT4 Hotcam issues and gains

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 PM

LT4 Hotcam issues and gains

im really serious about getting the hotcam kit and i also want to get headers. i was wondering if i just bought the hotcam kit, would it be alrigth to use factory lifters, pushrods and everything just replace the cam, rockers, springs and then the other stuff that comes with it. i really dont want to start replacing a whole bunch of stuff. also i was wondering waht kind of gains i would expect to see from jsut the cam, i have the other mods in my sig. car is pretty much stock with a few exceptions. it can turn a flat 14 with a 2.2 60' and bad tires. if i had some DR's and was able to pull a 2 flat 60', what kinda times would i expect to see with this cam only. thanks alot
Old 06-21-2005, 09:38 PM

Re: LT4 Hotcam issues and gains

Well, I'm using one in a 383, so I can't give you any info but I can tell you that I am upgrading soon and will have all of the hotcam kit available if you don't mind used and waiting alittle while.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:40 PM

You really need a set of headers to complement a hotcam kit but yes you are ok to use stokc pushrods and lifters when using that kit. All you really need to replace mechanical wize is what comes in the kit.

You will also need tuning. Some of the 93's will actually slow down with a cam until they are tuned. We can make them drive like a factory car with the hotcam.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:43 PM

yea, i wanna get a tune too, but im gonna wait till i get headers, and i think i will get some headwork done too. not all too sure yet. on 93s its just a chip right? how is the difference with the hotcam? can u actually tell it has a little lope to it and everything, or would it just sound like any other lt1 with a flowmaster or something. u knwo what i mean? i wanna break into 11's but i also plan on using nitrous.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 PM

Theres definately a lope to a hotcam.

What I like to do is get people in a chip.. Theres pretty healthy gains to a chipped stock car even without headers. Then when the person gets a cam they mail it back for a reflash and by the time they are ready to go the chip is back reflashed.

You can do all of this for less than what you pay for a hypertech.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 AM

what i plan on doign overall, is the hotcam kit, i want to do like 2.02s on the stock heads and have them ported and polished, and then i also plan on porting the stock intake and pretty much cleaning it all up on the inside. then i want to do headers and put a regular pipe in place of the cat, but reinstall the cat for emmisions. if i had u program a chip for me, would u program it to run without a cat most of the time, or with a cat for emmisions, or how does that work? do i put the stock chip back in for emmisions or would that cause SES light and problems to occur, that would make me fail for sure. thanks alot for all the help.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:44 PM

Actually alot of times if i'm disabliing emmissions (nothing is cat dependant on that year, so if you t ake the cat off and only that it won't trip a code).

Anyway, if somneone needs a emmissions piece removed I'll remove the diagnostic but leave the functionallity alone that way if they ever need it they can just plug it back and it works.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 AM

i was just reading about the LE packages. can u tune for an LE2 Head/Cam setup. also does anyone know if the LE2 setup with other small mods can pass emmisions? if im not mistaken this is comparable to a cc306 somewhat? thanks for any help again.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 69z-28
yea, i wanna get a tune too, but im gonna wait till i get headers, and i think i will get some headwork done too. not all too sure yet. on 93s its just a chip right? how is the difference with the hotcam? can u actually tell it has a little lope to it and everything, or would it just sound like any other lt1 with a flowmaster or something. u knwo what i mean? i wanna break into 11's but i also plan on using nitrous.
The Hotcam sounds a lot nastier than it really is.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:12 PM

Smile Re: LT4 Hotcam issues and gains

Originally Posted by 69z-28
im really serious about getting the hotcam kit and i also want to get headers. i was wondering if i just bought the hotcam kit, would it be alrigth to use factory lifters, pushrods and everything just replace the cam, rockers, springs and then the other stuff that comes with it. i really dont want to start replacing a whole bunch of stuff. also i was wondering waht kind of gains i would expect to see from jsut the cam, i have the other mods in my sig. car is pretty much stock with a few exceptions. it can turn a flat 14 with a 2.2 60' and bad tires. if i had some DR's and was able to pull a 2 flat 60', what kinda times would i expect to see with this cam only. thanks alot
I have two '94 z-28's both M6 one stock and one w/hot cam kit, pcm tune, SLP shorties and gutted cat. This give me the unique opportunity of comparing the stock one vs. the one with mods. The hot cam car full throttle performance feel pretty close to the stock car up to about 3500rpm, from 3500 to 6200rpm the hot cam car pulls harder. The stock car's performance is greatly reduced vs. hot cam by 5000rpm on up to 6000. The hot cam does lope slighlty and it is obvious that it has a performance cam. The car will surge at very low rpm (idle-1800) in first and second gear when holding the throttle steady. Under load accelerating no surge is noticed from 1200 rpm up. I lost some very low rpm driveability but quickly learned driving habits to mask the problem....use the clutch when at very low speed going thru the parking lot and keep the rpms over 2000 when holding steady speeds in first and second. The hot cam car is more fun for those full throttle romps and not as fun in heavy traffic. Don't expect huge performance gains but a modest upper rpm improvement can be expected if your car responds the same way mine did to the changes. I would suggest getting the PCM tuned for the hot cam. I used PCMFORLESS and was satisfied working with Bryan Herta. It's a big job but you can make it fun if you do it right and can take your time. I replaced the valve seals with new GM stock seals while mine was apart. Have fun and good luck with your project!