LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT4 Hotcam Kit & LE1 Heads.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:19 PM

LT4 Hotcam Kit & LE1 Heads.

So right now, I'm pretty dead set on the LT4 Hotcam Kit, I like it. Since I am going to be in there already, I kind of want the heads to get done at the same time. I did a search and read up but I want more opinions. I don't know that much about head porting so bare with me. Is matching up a set of LE1 heads with the Hotcam kit a good idea? I think that it would be a pretty cost effective way of making some nice numbers. Also, what kind of options do you have with LE1 heads? Is there someway to get upgraded valves, or something along the lines of that? Like I said, I'm pretty new to all this so if someone who has some paticents could help me out I would appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 PM

Re: LT4 Hotcam Kit & LE1 Heads.

Ported heads are always a good idea, especially with upgraded cams. I would call Lloyd Elliot himself and talk to him, that way you will get all the information you need.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Z-28
So right now, I'm pretty dead set on the LT4 Hotcam Kit, I like it. Since I am going to be in there already, I kind of want the heads to get done at the same time. I did a search and read up but I want more opinions. I don't know that much about head porting so bare with me. Is matching up a set of LE1 heads with the Hotcam kit a good idea? I think that it would be a pretty cost effective way of making some nice numbers. Also, what kind of options do you have with LE1 heads? Is there someway to get upgraded valves, or something along the lines of that? Like I said, I'm pretty new to all this so if someone who has some paticents could help me out I would appreciate it!

Thanks!!

Haha it's about time ed. I've been telling you to go Hotcam for years now. I like Lloyd's heads but i don't know if i'd match up the hotcam with it. Maybe a 220/230 custom grind.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Banned

Get a custom from LE 'cause it matches the heads whether it's a LE 1-2-3. He will know what is best what cam makes the most HP with his heads. Talk to him about valve size too.
If I use stock castings in a customers build I always move up to 2.0/1.56 valves.Might want to ask him about the Comp beehive springs also and let him ship ya a set up ready to bolt on.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:43 AM

Matching up a good set of ported heads and a proven cam like the Hot cam is always a good idea and you will make good power. On the other hand there are always other options as well. I decided to get Lloyd's LE1 package and I couldn't be happier. I too decided to upgrade the valves in my heads to 2.02/1.60 and I think it worked out pretty well. It is important to put together a good combination of parts that work well together, so my vote goes for the LE1 package since Lloyd and Bret are constantly finding ways to improve on an already great product. Like I said before tho, you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited by ulakovic22; 12-10-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 PM

little advice from a previous hotcam owner. Get a bigger cam.

I ran the Hotcam and yes I put down decent numbers and was happy with the car. But I really could have used a lot more cam. The hotcam is loppy like the bigger ones, so you might as well get something that backs that lope up. Especially if you are doing the heads at the same time.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 AM

I assume your from PA, do you have to pass emmisions? If so, a hot cam and LE1 heads will be a good combination. I discussed the same thing with Loyd a year or so ago. Seems his cams aren't emission friendly. He told me to go with the Hot Cam or the CC305. the Comp Cams 224-230 is also a possibility, but your gonna need a good dyno tune to get it through emissions.

How big you go on the cam depends on if your car has to pass emissions.