LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LTCC is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:31 AM

LTCC is driving me nuts

I have had a low RPM miss since I put the thing on. Few friends of mine that have it told me to ground the coils better. I have done that. Yet I still have this damn miss. Anyone have any ideas what to try next. I am running the Taylor wires and the coils are mounted on the cowel. This miss is driving me nuts.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:06 AM

Have you contacted Bob? I'll be installing mine this weekend if my coils get here by then, hope I dont run into any issues like that.

-Tony
Old 06-23-2004, 05:57 AM

Re: LTCC is driving me nuts

Originally posted by dreamer1q
I have had a low RPM miss since I put the thing on. Few friends of mine that have it told me to ground the coils better. I have done that. Yet I still have this damn miss. Anyone have any ideas what to try next. I am running the Taylor wires and the coils are mounted on the cowel. This miss is driving me nuts.
Was the opti in good condition when you installed the LTCC? Also I remember reading a while back that some people had issues running certain plug wires.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:22 AM

I have been speaking with Bob, and as of right now I am moving the grounds to a different location and adding a *** load more of them. DONT BE AFRAID TO GROUND THIS SETUP. Ground the crap out of it. I have new plugs and new O2's that are going in too. Hopefully that and the dyno tune on Monday will find and fix the problem.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:39 PM

Did you find the problem yet? I'm so pissed off right now, I've had the LTCC for a long time now, but when I installed her I was running a big cam, problem is almost a year later I find out that its not cam surge blow 2krpm, its a freaking MISS, then I finally descided to do a search on the LTCC, aparently a bunch of guys are having the same problem, my coils are grounded well, I doubt grounding them any better is going to help any I'm not that nieve, I also don't have MSD wires, taylors all around, thing that pisses me off the most is I finally opened up the LTCC box to see if there are any errors & what do you know, I should have done that a year ago, I get 3 blinks, I talked to Bob Bailey on this issue & he told me its probably the optispark which was pretty darn new but I figured what the hell & ordered a brand new opti, what a waste of time & money, put the new opti in & in the process made a hole in the radiator cuz I was so darn tired, well got a new radiator & got that optispark in & said finally this better be the end of all my problems, so now i have a pretty new opti sitting at home because the new opti I just put in didn't fix my problem, everything is routed away real nice, I'm just so darn pissed off because for a year what I though was cam surge was acctually a miss fire, ofcoarse when I first start the car I don't get the 3 blinks so when I checked it in the past it showed up with no errors, but if I drive it around for a bit I get the error 3 blinks, the next thing will now be new PCM, but I bet anything its the LTCC.

Thing is I recommended the system to my other friends, one sold his brand new & the other system is sitting at my house, I swapped the whole wriing harness & box over & still same problem.

I'm out of ideas boys, I haven't heard anything good about Delteq either as far as resolving problems, some say its all good some have nothing but problems, well anything with a mystery I tend to stay away from.

Pretty chocked, unless someone helps me I'm prolly just going to get an LS1 already.

matt
Old 07-08-2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by bunker
...I've had the LTCC for a long time now, but when I installed her I was running a big cam, problem is almost a year later I find out that its not cam surge blow 2krpm, its a freaking MISS, then I finally descided to do a search on the LTCC,
matt
How did you determine that it was not cam surge?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:21 PM

Well, my problem isnt solved yet, but I cant say for sure it is the LTCC. We went to the dyno and found that we were getting oil injection, ended up pulling the heads and found broken springs. The machine shop put the wrong springs in and they broke and ate the valve seals. So he is now warranting that, hopefully it will be done this week. Once that is fixed I will put it back in and try again. But it is quite possible that miss was due to the springs. Although, having the motor out did give me a chance to check my grounds and add a few more. Wish I could help you out more, but that is all I have right now. I will see if a few of the other guys in the area that run the LTCC will stop in and post. They are both on here, but I will give them a heads up. I know one of them had a problem similar to this as well.

Q
Old 07-08-2004, 05:07 PM

I just installed mine this passed week and I had a low rpm hesitation. I have an exhaust leak too but it would sound like it's studdering forward from a stop. It got worse the longer I drove the car. Also loss of power obviously.

-I had 6 ebay used coils on and two brand new coils.
-magnacore wires
-new opti. w/ the washer inside instead of a roter.

So I put on the 6 new coils I just got from Jason. Problem went away, but I still don't have all my hp at wot b/c my stupid exhast leak is pulling timeing. Does anyone know how to check the ls1 coils to tell which ones are bad?? I'd like to sell my used one's that are still good on ebay.

I still have one thing that is kind of bugging me though, it takes me like 2 seconds of cranking before the engine starts! Is anyone else experanceing this problem????
-brandon
Old 07-08-2004, 05:32 PM

But it is quite possible that miss was due to the springs
Yes

I have broken two valve springs and it caused a big miss fire. After I got the car back I developed a mid RPM miss that could never figure out... took me about 6 months to determine that my fuel trims were all messed up due to the broken springs. I also decided that the O2's were in bad shape from all the problems and the fact that the car had 100k on it. Well the point was that the miss was fixed by changing the O2's and resetting the computer to my original program ( done by pulling the PCM BATT fuse for 30 secs.) So try that when you get it back together if it still has a miss fire. Good Luck!!!

-Matt
Old 07-08-2004, 06:42 PM

I did all that, I'm getting 3 blinks from the LTCC indicating HIGH RES FAILED, well I changed the opti & my opti harness is practically new, all wires in the opti harness pass the continuity test 100%, I'm really starting to get irratated, its got to be the design of the LTCC or something, maybe my cam is too big causing the opti to slow down intermetantly durring surging & messing up the LTCC?? Hmm...

The reason I thought this was part of surging is cuz my cam is pretty big & it does surge, but everyonce in a while it will hickup at low rpm if I"m accelerating, I thought its normal cuz the cam is big & its causing reversion or something, well that hickup started getting suspecious, so I opened up the LTCC one day to check & what do you know, the error LED is blink 3 times indicating HIGH RES FAILED, changed the opti, went over everytning & even added brass battery terminals & extra ground wire & still nothing!!!!!!!!

Matt.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:45 PM

bunker: did you get new or used coils?
-b
Old 07-08-2004, 07:07 PM

New coils, but even if a coil was failing, how would that cause the LTCC to blink the Error code 3 times? Its saying high res failed, can a coil cause this? I belive Bob said no to that.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:37 PM

sorry I knew that but forgot bunker.
dreamer1q: do you have pics. on how you grounded the crap out of it?
-b
Old 07-09-2004, 12:05 AM

no kidding give us some pics, btw what error codes were you getting?

Matt.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:14 AM

Sorry guys, I dont have any right now, but I will try to get some. It is very hard to see the grounds with the engine all installed. Basically what I did was run a ground wire from one of the bolts on each coil to the firewall. I used a wire wheel to clean them up and a self tapper to put them on. So I have 8 grounds coming off the firewall to the coils, and 8 grounds that are on the wiring with the LTCC that are grounded to CLEAN grounds on the block. Dont ground them with anything else on the ground. Also, I wasnt getting any error codes, that the thing that really made it hard to track down. I still cant say for 100% that it was the LTCC, but I took no chances when we put it back.

Heres the good part, We fired the motor for the first time yesterday. The heads were redone due to the broken valve springs I posted about before. ANd the new grounds were run while I had the motor out. I have no miss on the jackstands. Normally under light load it would sputter like a 16 year old giving her first blow job. But it was perfectly smooth as glass. Once I get the new Master cylinder for the clutch installed, hopefully tomorrow, then I will put it on the ground and flog on her. I will let you guys know how it goes, and TRY to get pictures for you. Understand if I get a picture it will be HUGE so you can kinda see the wiring.

Q

Quick Reply: LTCC is driving me nuts