LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LTCC is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 10:25 AM

Hopefully I'll have my install complete today. I grounded the coils by using a bolt and nut to tie the four coils on each side together + a heavy guage wire that runs directly to the grounding lug on the passenger side near the battery. I can't imagine grounding them any better than that.

-Tony
Old 07-11-2004, 11:53 AM

I had nothing but problems with my LTCC when I put it on. Finally got fed up with it and sold it. Im running the delteq with msd blaster coils and an msd DIS box and ZERO problems now

Bob's idea is cool and all but it's just not all there. The reason my box never worked right is the same reason that I have heard most other guys LTCC's don't work right which is because bob get's the wiring mixed up sometimes when he's putting those harnesses together and one wire in the wrong spot causes all kinds of problems. I think he needs to start testing all his harnesses before they leave his shop IMO!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:17 PM

Ok well I think I fixed my problem, I was getting an error code as you all know the 3 blinks, I tried everything & my grounds are OK so I doubted its that, I just grounded them to the intake manifold 2 at a time so I had 4 grounds. I changed the optispark & no difference but finally I think I found the problem, I changed the alternator & the problem went away, I was getting weird voltage readings, they were never too high just always fluttering down like something was comming on & the voltage would come down for a split second, needless to say I did that & relocated my box 5 inches away from where it used to sit just for fun & the problem went away, car runs smooth as butter & it had nothing to do with grounds, msd wires, or optispark, I doubt relocating the box 5 inches away from its original spot is what did it but who knows, I don't want to try to relocate anything back LOL, but basicly where it sat before was where the air filter was but closer tho the fender side of the airbox, now it sits closer to the radiator side of the airbox, so you see my harness location hasn't changed just the box 4-5 inches away. The alternator I put on is a 140 AMP caprice alternator.

What I'm thinking is either where the box sat 5 inches away had some sort of a curse (doubt it) or, the old alternator was shorting out on itself in the armature or, the coil setup requires a 140 amp alternator, hmm... I'll go with the bad alternator that caused the problem.

That thing I thought was cam surge was a misfire, car runs extremely well now!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:25 PM

Got my LTCC install finished up today and it runs perfectly! After all the stuff I've read here lately I was really beginning to worry. The only problem I had was my own fault (#6 plug boot wasnt on the plug). I have pics of the completed setup with the coils mounted on the MBA fuel rail covers, all in all I think it looks great. Just shoot me an email, and I'll send the pics.

-Tony
Old 07-11-2004, 07:39 PM

Yeah I've never had problem with my old cam either, after my new cam install I've had these problems, turns out my alternator went south & that drove the LTCC nuts cuz the power kept surging & all the lights would dim a little while driving/idling, I"m back to being a happy LTCC customer
Old 07-11-2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Mystic95Z
The only problem I had was my own fault (#6 plug boot wasnt on the plug-Tony

I bet that was a really big sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach
Old 07-12-2004, 06:43 PM

I think (or am hoping) bunker that our problems are the same. Even though my alternator is only a couple of months old I think it might be going bad or I need a more powerful one(maybe bob can chime in here). I took my car to Sear's and there machine said the alt. was putting out irregular wave forms. The guy said that the alt. was always under load for some reason. It was constanty applying 30-35 amps of juice with no acceseries on. I was wondering if it could be a mixture of my ltcc, racetronix fuel pump (the guy thought it wasn't a good idea to have it hooked up directly to the alt.), and my electric wp. I also have a ud and od pulleys on my car. But I have a lifetime warrenty on the alt. from oreily's so I'll go and get another one and hope that fixes my problem. Oh I forgot to state my problem. For some reason last friday before I was going to go on a roadtrip with my friend the car didn't want to start. I just ran in the hospital to pick up my paycheck. My friend was listening to a cd w/ the radar detector hooked up (KOEO) for just a minute or two. When I tried to start it nope, tried several times nope, nope, nope. We waited a while then tried again, fired right up. Then it was ok on the rest of the trip; no problems. Then out of the blue this morning it didn't want to start again. It had been sitting all night. I tired several more times in a row, no, no, no waited a while tried it again, yes started right up.
-brandon

Last edited by bdc95ta; 07-12-2004 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:08 AM

Yeah I definite thats what my problem was, the alternator was acting pretty weird while still charging no problems, with volt meter hooked up it wouldn't stay steady & would jump around in voltages from 13-14 sometimes only .2 volts sometimes even 1 whole volt, this whole time I owned my car & that the lower rpm misses where just how the cam acted was all my charging system's fault!!!

Also after fixing the LTCC up I even added a few grounds just to make sure everything was sweet, didn't make much of a difference but hey, whatever.

I have a battery that has side terminals like the stock one & upper terminals for different cars that hook up at the top, I even baught a 4 guage ground cable & hooked it up to the top ground terminal & then to the strut bolt.

Then, baught 2 more 4 guage ground terminals & added one going from the passenger side rear intake manifold bolt to another strut bolt on passenger side. And a 4 guage ground cable going from the driver side rear intake manifold bolt to the driver side strut bolt. Plus my Racetronix fuel pump kit came with brass fittings for the battery & another ground cable to from the side terminals to the ground terminal on the car, thats a lot of grounds.

Needless to say I just did that for the heck of it to make sure I had unlimited grounds since some people reported that it helped them out, didn't do much for me but its good to know I did it & I made it look all hiden & look pretty stealth & stock
Old 07-13-2004, 12:23 AM

bunker im just curious what bad things have you heard about delteq.my experience with them has been great,i dont have one but i helped a friend install one and it was so easy,his car also ran amazing after that(94_camaro_LT)fan shroud mount.
their service is also great,the adhesive they used to hold the thing that replaces the coil wasnt strong enough at high temps and they ended up sending everyone a new one with a better adhesive and a letter of apology.they also sent new sheet metal screws for the mount jsut in case their supplied screws backed out.seems like they fix what problems arise.im sold on the kit
Old 07-13-2004, 01:31 AM

everyone hates the opti. i can imagine they are a pain to change, but i never had a problem with mine. stocker @ 120k. with the motor rebuild i put in a dynaspark. i have not run it yet, but we will see if its a good thing.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:15 AM

This isnt a post to pump the delteq or tell me how much you hate your opti, it is about the LTCC and ways to fix or repair a problem with it. Please keep the thread on track.

Q
Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 AM

you missed my point of "there really isnt a difference in how the car runs from using ltcc so why do people put themselves through this pain?"
Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 AM

I follow ya now, but actually the LTCC is suspose to be stable into the higher RPM band then the stock opti at creating the spark. Plus I cant find a disadvantage to the ability to have 8 coils instead of one that is constantly having to recharge. So there are advantages. As well, the high voltage is taken out of the opti with the LTCC, which in theory is suspose to increase the life of the bastardized excuse for a distributor...AKA Opti
Old 07-13-2004, 10:52 AM

Plus it has the rev limiter and boost/n20 retard built in.

-Tony
Old 07-13-2004, 11:21 AM

When i had the LTCC i bought 8 used LS1 coils off ebay. One of the coils was not making enough spark and caused a slight miss.

Quick Reply: LTCC is driving me nuts