LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LTs or shorties?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 03:24 PM

I have a dual cat car. I'm gonna get some as&m headers and do the single cat conversion. I should be able to pass the emissions part but not the visual. But i can get away with that. As long as i pass the sniffer.
Old 07-26-2003, 03:36 PM

There is a post in the LS1 section about passing the sniffer without a cat at all. I believe that these cars are efficient enough to run without a cat and pass, but like you said there is a visual part of the inspection. I would hate to see somebody take off one or even both cats and then not pass and then spend the money to put them back on. Another option would be to get a pipe made that eliminates the cats that you could just swap back out when it is time to do the inspection. I'm not sure if they do road side sniffer checks in California because it has been awhile since I've spent more than a week at a time there. 12 more days and I'll be home!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:40 PM

I also forgot to mention that you know that you have have to have the CARB# to pass. Not saying that you don't know this just remember that. But if you know someone like I do that won't do the visual or just doesn't care then you're golden.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:39 PM

thats a bunch of b.s., n.j. state inspectors have no idea what came on your in what year. all they care about is if your car is newer than 72 and that it passes the sniffer test. So back to my question
has any one switched from single to dual cats, and was it a pain in the ***?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by sfarz28
thats a bunch of b.s., n.j. state inspectors have no idea what came on your in what year. all they care about is if your car is newer than 72 and that it passes the sniffer test. So back to my question
has any one switched from single to dual cats, and was it a pain in the ***?
You are probably right the majority of them don't know. But you got to remember that they see a lot of the same cars in stock form. So if they see the engine bays of 10 camaro's from the same year, and then 1 pulls up with the engine bay looking different, you don't think they might start to wonder why? Most of the time they will know but won't really care as long as it passes. To answer your question about converting to a single cat yes it has been done. I am actually going to be doing it myself. I'm still not sure on everything you will need but from what i remember you will need o2 sims, and a S-pipe. To make it work. There may be more, do a search and you will find more information about it. It's don't think it would be very hard to do at all. The hardest part would be installing the headers, after you do that i don't think you will think the rest of the job to be to hard at all.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:57 AM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
either emmisions legal long tubes, or mids

if you don't have emissions...

regular long tubes

who wants shorties???