LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AS&M Header Questions ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 07:06 PM

AS&M Header Questions ??

Ok, I am thinking about buying AS&M headers and was wondering about a few details. First how does the y-pipe end, is it weld-on or is it flanged? Will it bolt/weld up to a stock or universal cat? I know the stock cat welds at the front. They come with "all bolts, gaskets, and intructions", but what else do I need? Please include the price of additional items cause I have to figure out how much cash I'll be spending total on this project. If you have these headers please let me know how you set yours up and how the install went. Thank you.

-Dustin-
Old 02-19-2004, 07:17 PM

Toss the bolts and gaskets they come with and get some Felpro 1406's and some ARP stainless header bolts. Some folks like the Stage-8 header bolts, but I came across too many people saying they couldn't use the lock washer things on some of the bolts due to clearance issues. Pointless to me in that case. The y-pipe will have a flange to bolt to a cat. I went with the Random Technology cat since they offer a bolt on one to match these headers. It's an expensive cat, but I'm lazy and didn't want to bother with tracking down a cat, a flange, and somewhere to weld it all together. Maybe there are other cheaper ones that'll bolt right up, I don't know.

Plug access sucks, so you may want to knock out some plugs and wires while you're at it.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:23 PM

Yes, I am doing plugs and wires too. I am not sure if the $225 cat it worth it to me, I may just flange the stocker and make a custom ORP for, um, off road purposes only

BTW What led you to buy the AS&M over other headers? Whats your setup and and how do you like it? Have any reported gains from the AS&M's? Thanks for the reply.

-Dustin-

P.S. my car seems to be headed in the same direction as yours as far as the cam. What kind of times you putting up?
Old 02-19-2004, 07:38 PM

I didn't want 1 5/8" shorty headers, nor did I care for long tubes. They seem to be more hype than anything. Ground clearance is an issue I didn't want to deal with either.

I did a dyno run when I had a POS G2 CAI and a cat. The next time I did one (numbers in sig), I had installed the Holley CAI, cam, 1.6's (all new valvetrain, springs, lifters, push rods, and a Cloyes), CSI, headers, cat, 52mm tb, pcmforless, 3.73's, and the stall. I suppose I should've hit the dyno again somewhere in there..

Sorry, I've never been to a track. I just do all of this stuff for fun, not looking to break records (or parts! lol). Maybe this summer I'll head over to the track and see what it's got.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM

I have those headers! They look awesome and yes they are flanged at the cat. Plug access is a little tough but not too bad. I would recomend getting some 3/8 in. head header bolts which will make your install much easier. Also the passenger side was cake to install, be suree to remove your valve cover on that side. The drivers side was tricky and youll have to wiggle it in there but it does fit. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the great info guys. Tuff any gains or times on your headers and how did you set yours up? I am trying to pursuade myself to buy AS&M over the cheaper macs. I am also taking suggestions of how to mount the cat without spending $225 for a random tech direct fit one. Thanks

-Dustin-
Old 02-19-2004, 08:32 PM

I also have the AS&M headers and I just welded a flange on the front of my High Flow cat to match up with the AS&M flange, Any muffler guy will do it .

Last edited by RCF925; 02-19-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:55 PM

I don't have any real numbers to show you but my butt-o-meter read higher for sure! My trap speed also went up about 2.5 or 3 mph also after the install. You also wont have any ground clearance issues either. I think that they are a well made product and a good option instead of LT's.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:20 PM

how long does the as&m/rksport header typically take? was there a pretty good sotp difference for everyone? did everyone use this install guide http://www.go-fast.org/z28/headers.html?
thanks for answering, i will report back when i install mine next week.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:22 PM

why did you guys go as&m over the cheaper but nearly identical rksports?
Old 02-20-2004, 06:38 AM

Sorry - I do have the RK's. They are AS&M copy cats, but there's nothing wrong with them, IMO. I got them for about $500 from Tbyrne on one of his annual 10% off everything sales a couple of years ago. Nabbed the cat at the same time.

I've heard the biggest difference is the welds aren't as nice as those on the AS&M's, same for the coating. But I've had no problems with either. Also - while you need 1406 Felpro's for the AS&M's, 1409's will match the RK's a little better. I didn't know that at the time, so I still have 1406's on there. I have a set of 09's for the next time I have to pull the headers though.

Bottom line - you really can't go wrong with AS&M's and I wouldn't have any heartburn over spending the extra $$ on them. I was just about to pick up a set when I came across Tbyrne's sale. Since the RK's were so cheap at the time, I couldn't pass it up. Same performance, design, dimensions, just a tad less pretty, but over $200 cheaper. Throw in the cat (10% off that too) and the total with shipping was still less than the AS&M's alone. No brainer.

I did the same as the guy in that link and wrapped them for the install, that does help protect the coating regardless what brand of header. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to figure out what you've got to do.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:00 AM

I have a pair of AS&M headers for sale. If you are interested please e-mail me for details. They are in great condition.

95Bluestreak@comcast.net
Old 02-20-2004, 07:16 AM

i don't think anybody mentioned it but use 12pt bolts. i have a set of slp's (96/97) for sale if anybodies interested.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:35 AM

I have AS&M's and RT y pipe. I chose them because my car is lowered thus ruling out LT's, and otherwise they are just the best out there. The install went pretty well, I did it myself in my garage on jackstands. My advise would be to just go ahead and get new O2 sensors (I could not remove the old ones even with a breaker bar) and to go ahead and trim the oil dipstick tube (serious pain in the butt to get in untrimmed). You may need another hand to wrestle the y-pipe into position but otherwise you can do it yourself. They look and sound AWESOME, NASCARish. I put an electric cutout at the end of the y-pipe (omigod it sounds good). With new wires, plugs, synthetic it gained something like 17hp, 20tq on the dyno, I was hoping for more but thats not bad for a pretty much stock LT1.

Pat
Old 02-20-2004, 01:41 PM

I did not do a before dyno, but with RK Sport headers, Borla cat back with gutted and sleeved cat converter (3 inch pipe) and Moroso cold air, it dynoed 298 RWHP.. That was before I had the Hypercrap tuning.. I added the HPP and 24 SVO injectors, and made a best run of 13.01 @109

Quick Reply: AS&M Header Questions ??