LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AS&M vs. Hooker LT for lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:48 PM

AS&M vs. Hooker LT for lt1?

I'm almost in the market for headers and was just curious if the hookers had any major advantage over the AS&M. I have a 1993 so it's a little bit harder to find headers that are well...legal. The AS&M is advertised as longtubes but it doesn't look it to me. But I hear the quality of them and results are very good. They basically seem to be in the same price range so which would be better? Is it true that long tubes are more for people who want to go over 400 hp? If that were the case I'd see the same amount of power gain between both of them yet I'd be legal with the AS&M's so can anyone give me their knowledge?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:35 PM

Re: AS&M vs. Hooker LT for lt1?

Do you need to be emissions legal? If so I think youd be fine with AS&M headers. They arent LT's, the site just says that; they are mids. Hooker, Jethot, Pacesetter LT's are good for all level of F-body's not just over 400hp.

But if you do get AS&M dont get AS&M. RK Sport is the same thing for $300 less. $450 for the same tubing, pipes and everything. Supposedly the coating isnt quite as good, but my buddies that I installed worked great.

If you want LT's get them, but emissions and testing will be hard to pass with them.

-Dustin-
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 AM

Well I dont think emissions would be a problem so I will most likely go the long tube route. What about the Dynatech LTs? I found them on jegs for only $430 coated! But I cant seem to find a y-pipe anywhere. Also is an o2 extension the only other accessory I would have to buy along with the LTs and Y? I don't know much about this stuff so I would still be able to keep my cat on there right? Does gutting it do anything besides effect the sound. I have an original loudmouth on my car right now but I would definitely replace my resonator with one of the borla xr-1s. I'm sure with a gutted cat the resonator probly wouldn't sound good.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 AM

So do you need to be legal or not? If you install LTs and have to be legal you will have to have some one custom hake a Y pipe with cats in it. You also have to consitter if you car is lowered or not. Almost all LTs have ground clearance issues made worse by lowering the car. If you go with LTs you also have to make sure your getting the emission hook ups for air and EGR.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:02 AM

I love my newly bolted on RK Sport mids (AS&M). Don't discount them, they have the same 1.75" primaries as a long tube header.

Still working on getting off my lazy *** to make a video so people can hear my combination (RK Sport through GMMG).
Old 01-26-2006, 12:22 PM

If you go mids go RK Sport. If you go LT's there are tons to choose from. Hooker, Jethot, Pacesetter, TPIS, Kooks, Dynatech, FLP, etc. Pacesetter seem to be the cheapest route but look around and find some good pricing. I know if you want a cheap catback you can get a Summit X-Pipe kit and some Bullets for around $200. That would be a mean setup.

-Dustin-
Old 01-26-2006, 03:51 PM

I appreciate you guys helping me even though you dont have to waste your time. Those RKsport mids look really good i must say but they dont have a 1993 model. It says offroad use only so do they not have any emissions hookups? The way it seems to me is that no matter what I do whether it be the rksport or long tubes there are none that are emission friendly for 93's. I dont really care about that but I just don't want the check engine lights on and all that...
Old 01-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by lankie_25
I appreciate you guys helping me even though you dont have to waste your time. Those RKsport mids look really good i must say but they dont have a 1993 model. It says offroad use only so do they not have any emissions hookups? The way it seems to me is that no matter what I do whether it be the rksport or long tubes there are none that are emission friendly for 93's. I dont really care about that but I just don't want the check engine lights on and all that...
They have the emissions plumbing (EGR/AIR), I think the only reason they say off road use only is because they haven't been CARB approved (California emissions).

The headers I have were purchased used and ended up being for a 94, and I had to adapt 94 AIR fittings onto my car to hook em up. (Didn't know there was a difference between 94 and 95).

Is there a difference between 93 and 94 model headers?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:50 PM

From what i've read I think on 93s the AIR fitting is only on the drivers side. I almost think now that I definitely want those rksport headers. I just need to know how to get them to hook up correctly to my 93.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:47 PM

im actually am in the same field as you right know i think im going with rk-sport with gmmg catback i think someone up there has that same setup how does it sound???
Old 01-26-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by bstieboydp
im actually am in the same field as you right know i think im going with rk-sport with gmmg catback i think someone up there has that same setup how does it sound???
Sounds great. I'm going to be getting video together of it after the headers, I'll try to post it here when I do.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 PM

If you plan on using the AIR setup then you will need the 93 specific headers because the AIR fittings are different. I think the Pacesetter longtubes are the best buy for the money but they are 94-95 and 96-97 specific for the emission's legal headers. You could probably switch your AIR setup over to the 94 style pipe fittings but that's added cost. The ASM headers are good for 800 hp so they are a great choice too but again the 93 specific headers are tough to find. I have the Pacesetter emission's headers and they're really well built.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff H
If you plan on using the AIR setup then you will need the 93 specific headers because the AIR fittings are different. I think the Pacesetter longtubes are the best buy for the money but they are 94-95 and 96-97 specific for the emission's legal headers. You could probably switch your AIR setup over to the 94 style pipe fittings but that's added cost. The ASM headers are good for 800 hp so they are a great choice too but again the 93 specific headers are tough to find. I have the Pacesetter emission's headers and they're really well built.
I spent $16 on the 94 AIR fittings. So it wasn't too bad. Not sure if the 93s are more expensive or what.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:45 AM

I cant speak for GMMG and RK's, but GMMG, Mufflex ORY, and Hooker LT's get more compliments than everything else on my car combined. Just today I passed my buddy on the road near the university, he said he wasnt sure if it was me or not till the tailpipes past, then he said he knew exactly who it was.

-Dustin-
Old 01-27-2006, 02:21 PM

Bersaglieri - hey you ever cruise by New Philadelphia/Dover? I wouldn't mind hearin that myself .

Quick Reply: AS&M vs. Hooker LT for lt1?