LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

madZ vs pcmforless

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 PM

madZ vs pcmforless

he guys im gonna send my pcm in for tunning just wondering where to send it.
ive got a H/C combo and a S/C if it makes a difference.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM
VK

I vote Madz, used his a few times and even put a wideband on once and its pretty close! But either one will make you happy i'm sure!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:54 PM

Search for all the other Madz vs. pcmforless threads...
Old 04-14-2007, 07:54 PM

i figured they would both be really good but im leaning towards madz cause he seems to specialize in the lt1
Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 PM

I've used both and from my experiences the pcmforless tune has better driveability, while the madz tune pulls a lot harder up top.
With my pcmforless tune the car drove super smooth at any rpm's and cam surge wasn't an issue.
With the madz tune the car has bad cam surge, but it pulls harder up top than ever before.
You really can't go wrong with either one imho.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
x108123
Old 04-14-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
yup, i made the exact poll earlier this year, heres the link

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...z28+pcmforless

it ended up pretty even, but i personally went with pcmforless and couldn't be happier
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 PM

i have full bolt-ons and had my pcm tuned by Madz, very satisfied with the results. I heard pcmforless also does well but havent tried them yet
Old 04-14-2007, 09:18 PM

ive had both and like bryan better
Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 PM

My results to me say pcmforless ftw.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 AM

From the research I've done on this and other boards, I've come to the conclusion that both are excellent tuners. Flip a coin(thats what I did ). I'm sure you won't be Disapointed with eighther one.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:35 AM

just what the world needs

another pcmforless vs madz28 thread...
Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by danhr
just what the world needs

another pcmforless vs madz28 thread...
No kidding. The main issue is you can't nail the tune on any car remotely plus if you have a mail order tune, how do you know if it's right on the money unless you went to a real dyno and had the car tuned?

Answer: you don't know! This seat of the pants stuff is real BS and about as ignorant as it gets as you need an objective measurement device. The weather on any particular day can make more difference than the tune. That's why even track data can be unreliable unless you have a weather station. Even then, the 02 content of the atmosphere can vary by location and day.

The real answer as to why they are both about the same in the polls is each of them is making an educated guess as to the tune and there is only so much you can do remotely. Sure, you can program thermostats, shift points, rev limiter, etc. but timing and fuel air is fickle and not generic to any combo.

As mentioned in the past, seen well over a 1000 cars dyno and sometimes the remote tune (not that often) is dead on the money and other times it is a complete waste of money. Usually somewhat close but life just doesn't work that way. Especially with a forced induction car which is more sensitive to the tune

Remember the power programmer?? Add 25 hp with just a simple flip of the finger on the program button!! If you have no other reasonable choice, buy a mail order tune, but if a dyno is available with a good tuner......you will never get better results.

Jeez...Guess I need to get into the remote tuning business. Sounds like a lot of easy money to be made and I have a decent database of tuning files also. Plug the ECU in, pick a tune, hit program and collect the money.

Tell me your combo, I’ll get a pay pal account and get ya fixed up.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:10 AM

i only have expereince with ion, but he is very helpful and stands behind his work and is a real stand up guy. he has tuned 2 different set ups for me. i remeber about a year ago i pmed brian with a request for pictures and some questions about how he did the eaton setup on his firebird. a few times. h never responded to me. there is a chance that there was computer error
Old 04-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by romoranger
i only have expereince with ion, but he is very helpful and stands behind his work and is a real stand up guy. he has tuned 2 different set ups for me. i remeber about a year ago i pmed brian with a request for pictures and some questions about how he did the eaton setup on his firebird. a few times. h never responded to me. there is a chance that there was computer error

Perhaps I don’t communicate well, but for some reason you guys don't seem to be getting the point or it’s the standard buyers after purchase justification for making a purchase decision. If you have no other options……mail order tunes are great. They are all better than a stock tune in a modded car. Hands down!!

They all are stand up guys, will their best to help and are good at what they do. There is only so much anyone can do without seeing your actual car and seeing how it responds to certain input. When you buy any remote tune, your getting nothing more than educated guesses which many times are right on the money and many times not. Each car responds a little different. If all stock GM LTx cars were all the same, the tune from GM would be spot on the money but it ain’t. They hit the middle of the road for production variances and play it safe.

If you have the programming software (it's cheap) and a cable, you can get tuning files free on the internet that will fit many standard combinations. Then you can change it yourself if you make changes or can get dyno time cheaper. Hell, everyone has wideband 02 sensors these days and all you need to do in a N/A car is adjust to a 13 to 1 fuel/air ration as that’s what most tuners shoot for in mail order tunes anyway. If they are off a little each way due to the car, it still works to a fairly high degree.

With the exception of adjusting the little stuff like injector size, rev limit, gears, etc. fuel/air is about 75% of the tuning process. Timing ain’t that big of a whoop and one degree either way unless it’s too much just doesn’t make that much of a difference.

Quick Reply: madZ vs pcmforless