LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Maf Descreen? Majority Vote Wins!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by shoebox
I don't see how saying "aftermarket MAFs don't come with screens" proves anything about the need for the screen. GM and everyone else designed their own MAF and I would say GM designed theirs to work with a screen and the others did not.
I've got two aftermarket plastic MAFs without screens. Both have what appear to be the same electronics "arrangement" as the stocker. What I mean is when looking at the Granatelli and then looking at the stocker, it is impossible to tell the Granatelli unit is "calibrated" because it looks identical to the stock sensor. If the design of the sensor at least looked a little different I'd be more inclined to agree with you about this but since they appear physically identical, I'm not so sure
Old 03-28-2003, 05:22 PM

Mir Hussain says:In result you get Lower MPG, Rich Mix, little Less power, Dirty tips, and upset PCM

I concur. Regrdless of how unpopular a name he has. Anyone wanna trade a stock set of ends for my ported/descreened ends?
Old 03-28-2003, 05:32 PM

Talking

Originally posted by 94ta383
Mir Hussain says:In result you get Lower MPG, Rich Mix, little Less power, Dirty tips, and upset PCM

I concur. Regrdless of how unpopular a name he has. Anyone wanna trade a stock set of ends for my ported/descreened ends?
I have Ported MAF but with Screen
I know my its Kinda make you go
Old 03-28-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by 94ta383

IF the PCM is seeing less air, would it not send in less fuel, making a leaner condition?
Old 03-28-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Janny
IF the PCM is seeing less air, would it not send in less fuel, making a leaner condition?
Yes. That is why some say they gained horsepower by porting/descreening. They are allowing in "unmetered" air, therefore making the mixture leaner.
The pcm will correct for this at part throttle, but I'm pretty sure it can't at wot.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:09 PM

Arrow

Originally posted by Janny
No no
MAF see MORE air, because un channel air.
Then O2 comes out let PCM know; Hey man you running RICH. PCM o ok. Lets cut back some fuel.
Then MAF said What ever O2 saying I dont care. Here is more air so mix it up with more fuel.
in result Richer trim.
Get it ?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by Dan K
, but I'm pretty sure it can't at wot.
Wrong!
Your PE tables comes from your regular registars (Aka LT trims followed by St tirms)
Old 03-28-2003, 09:43 PM

I'm wondering why no one has made a comment on my post of gaining 17 g/s. that is equivalent to 18 hp at the wheels. Actually it is between 15 and 17 g/s. If I put the screen back in, I lose the same amount. I've done this back and forth a few times to eliminate a possible error on my Scanmaster.
As O'Reilly would say, what say you.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:20 AM

A ported MAF will LEAN you not make you run richer. Sorry but you're mistaken.

Joe
Old 03-29-2003, 02:41 AM

Let me try to understand what you just said.

Originally posted by Mir Hussain
No no MAF see MORE air, because un channel air.
How is the MAF sensor seeing MORE air when you said it yourself it is unchanneled/unmetered? That means the extra air that is sneaking through gives you more parts of air per the same amount of fuel.

Then O2 comes out let PCM know; Hey man you running RICH.
I don't think so. You said yourself that it is unmetered air. The maf isn't "measuring" correctly because of the porting.

Here is more air so mix it up with more fuel.
in result Richer trim.
Get it ?
No, I guess I don't.

Wrong!
Your PE tables comes from your regular registars (Aka LT trims followed by St tirms)
What? What did you just try to say. I'm not following you at all.
Besides, isn't this where a blm lock comes into play. If you use a blm lock than you have repeatable fueling at wot. O2 input is not used at wot anyways. The computer uses the PE tables...and as long as the blm is locked @ 128...they shouldn't have any effect on your PE. That is the whole point of the lock, isn't it...repeatability? Now I'm off somewhere else...

Maybe I'm wrong on some of the little details...but I'm pretty sure I've got the right idea here.
If you guys want to port and descreen and stuff go ahead...better yet, trade your stock stuff to someone who doesn't want their ported stuff since their car runs poorly with it.

Last edited by Dan K; 03-29-2003 at 02:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by 2CNTRY
You just like Shanias chestal region.
And you don't?
Old 03-29-2003, 04:41 AM

Another vote yes. But keep your stock ends just in case. I'm using Whisper ported end that I got on sale from Thunder I think. No problems here.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:58 AM

Yeah OK, I admit, her "chestal region" does sawy my vote (along with her posterior)
Old 03-29-2003, 09:28 AM

learn from others mistake..do not do it..the computer will REAdJUST AND BUMP UP YOUR BLMS canceling any gains u might notice...the only way to gain anything thru the MAF is thru changing MAF tables with Lt1_Edit
Old 03-29-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Supermanx500
YES!!!!!!! DO MAF! As well.....Preformance onesdon't come with a screen....?.....most of the people that have problms broke one of there sensors.....just don't break the and you wll be fine
Performance ones are calibrated for no screen from the manufacture

Quick Reply: Maf Descreen? Majority Vote Wins!