LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

maf system failure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 AM

maf system failure?

ok i just rebuilt my lt1 and it is throwing the maf system failure code, but i have a new granetelli maf, so im confused
does anyone have any insight?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by firstlast
ok i just rebuilt my lt1 and it is throwing the maf system failure code, but i have a new granetelli maf, so im confused does anyone have any insight?
I cant speak from personal experience, since I've never installed that
MAF, but from what I've read, people have issues with the Granatelli unit.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Try going to shoebox's web site and use his write up on checking the MAF.
I think the 97 cars are known for having a short in the power wire to the MAF
Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM

What code is being tripped? I would start by buying a can of MAF cleaner and spraying the sensors. Do not use Carb Cleaner. I've been fighting the same battle with my '97 since I bought it in '99. P0100 is the code I get with both my Granatelli & factory MAF. More than likely the Pink wire not being supplied with the required 12.0V source.

Good luck
Old 05-09-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by 97LT4SS
What code is being tripped? I would start by buying a can of MAF cleaner and spraying the sensors. Do not use Carb Cleaner. I've been fighting the same battle with my '97 since I bought it in '99. P0100 is the code I get with both my Granatelli & factory MAF. More than likely the Pink wire not being supplied with the required 12.0V source.

Good luck
BTW i have a 97 wiring harness also, i had been trying to get the 0100 code gone. I re did the pink wire but it didnt work. It seems like one of the other wires also has a short at the pigtail because i can move the wires around and turn the ses light on, and i can put them in a position that will keep the code gone.

So yeah if you already did the pink wire go ahead and the rest of them, i think most people just buy a new pigtail with about 3 feet of wire on it and that fixes the problem
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Does replacing the connector and wiring require splicing into the factory wiring harness or does the 3' of wire connect together at the underhood fuse box?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Does replacing the connector and wiring require splicing into the factory wiring harness or does the 3' of wire connect together at the underhood fuse box?
No it requires splicing. I am thinking of running new wires all the way back while my motor is out. I am not sure what the deal is with 97 and MAF code, but I have replaced the pigtail, but it still gave a code like a week or 2 later.

It is something small that only acts up enough to trigger the code. I know because I can watch the MAF work on the LT1 scanmaster.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1980
No it requires splicing. I am thinking of running new wires all the way back while my motor is out. I am not sure what the deal is with 97 and MAF code, but I have replaced the pigtail, but it still gave a code like a week or 2 later.

It is something small that only acts up enough to trigger the code. I know because I can watch the MAF work on the LT1 scanmaster.
Thats how mine is too. Ill clear the codes and watch it "work" and the code will come back. It takes a few times for it to give a SES light.

Whne u replaced the pigtail how far back did you splice the wires in, or did you just replace the conctor?

I can wrape my wire up a little and tape into that position and it will work great for a while untill the tape becomes hot and loseings up.

I gota buy one of those pigtails with the wires attached (you dont have a link for them do you?)
Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Very frustrating to say the least, wonder why only 97's are affected? Is it possible to just replace the Pink wire and run it directly from the 20amp ENG FUSE to the MAF?

Not sure if the Pink wire coming out from underneath the Underhood Fuse box splits off somewhere or runs directly to the MAF.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Very frustrating to say the least, wonder why only 97's are affected? Is it possible to just replace the Pink wire and run it directly from the 20amp ENG FUSE to the MAF?

Not sure if the Pink wire coming out from underneath the Underhood Fuse box splits off somewhere or runs directly to the MAF.
Is that were the pink wire comes from? I dont know. I ran mine to the battery LOL ghetto rig until i get the harness.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM

I am following this thread with great interest. My rarely driven garage queen has been afflicted with a P0100 for some time and I haven't been able to fix it. I purchased a GM pigtail, but have't installed it yet as I am reluctant to hack into my wiring harness unless it is absolutely necesary.

To add to this gremlin like problem, I have occasionally had a blown fuse on the circuit that has the MAF and the O2 sensors. My question for those that have experienced this frustrating problem, have any of you had a blown fuse that powers the MAF? Maybe I have a separate issue going on at the same time.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Yes, I was popping the 20A Eng Fuse for six months. Turns out Random Tech was out of O2 sensor extensions so the shop which installed my exhaust just spliced regular wires to one of the re-located cats O2 sensor. The wires simply melted together over a few months time.

Not sure if the single Pink wire runs directly from the Eng Sen fuse to the MAF?

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I would rather not splice into my wiring harness but I have to go through emission's every 2 years. I've been lucky so far, timing wise because the car would fail this year. SES is on as I type, P0100
Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

I am guessing that if your popping a fuse, that your short is on the power side or ground side of the sensor. I would however replace as much of the wiring as you can, that way you dont have to go back again.

When I ordered the pigtail on ebay, it only came with like 1 or 2 feet of cable. I am thinking of getting the same color cables and making one as far as they go back. It will at least take out a variable to the problem. I am certain it is not the sensor as I have a spare MAF laying around, and have seen both work actively. I will most likley solder this connection.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by firstlast
ok i just rebuilt my lt1 and it is throwing the maf system failure code, but i have a new granetelli maf, so im confused
does anyone have any insight?
You might want to provide a bit more info about your car.... year, model, engine, trans and any major mods. That's the kind of info you need to put into the "signature". As you can see, the year of the car can affect the problem and the cure.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Testing my SIG

Quick Reply: maf system failure?