LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

making OVC wires BLOWS A**!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 09:36 PM

making OVC wires BLOWS A**!!!!

i am soooooooo pissed and fed up with this car, and all the "shortcuts" companies make with their parts!! i cant wait to get this car back together... sell it.... and buy a vette and be done with it!!

just bought taylor OVC wires from thunder racing... how the hell are you supposed to crimp anything using those small opti connectors?!?! those things would barely fit 5mm wires!!! forget 8mm!!!! i mean couldnt they have made them a LITTLE bigger?!?! all these little things are adding up ive just about had it!

actual time to remove manifolds & install headers = few hours
time ive spent with these crappy a** taylor wires = ALL NIGHT!

what a waste of money!! if anyone has any tips let me know, otherwise these wires are going in the trash!!!

sorry for the venting but i just feel like and
Old 06-18-2003, 09:51 PM

Relax!!!! You're making it too difficult. Get some silicone spray or WD-40 and spray it all over those wires. the opti boots should slide right on.
Old 06-18-2003, 09:52 PM

I agree man they are a BIT@H, me and my brother just put some on my T/A b/c of the Jet HOt LT's, Taylor should have made better wires. Everytime we tried to crimp it, we would have to use our universal crimping tool, and a pair of Visce grips back and forth. And when we finally did get that little silver Piece of SH@t crimped on the wire it wouldn't go up it the boot. So we put some grease around it so it would slide up in the boot, but if it wasn't crimped hard enough the grease would cause it to come apart. Man it took like three hours. Those taylor wires sucked, but what else can you really use when your wanting to get them away from the headers.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:30 PM

Wow, you are over reacting. Use dawn soap and they slide right on. I did not think it was hard at all...
Old 06-18-2003, 10:47 PM

ship them to me with $50 and ill do em for ya!
Old 06-18-2003, 11:11 PM

Cool

Ya wanna know whats easy ?
Put the wire in the boot... Pull it through... The put the crimp on... pull it backwards into the boot. On the 90 degree ends, push the wire in, use needle nose pliers and pull the wire through the bend. The crimp and pull the end back through.
I'll do a write up if you guys want

My brother showed me this after i tried to wrestle these things in after crimping... I felt like a moron

He used hand cleaner too

-Shannon
Old 06-19-2003, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
ship them to me with $50 and ill do em for ya!
$20, not including the cost of shipping them back

I didn't think they were that bad, the #5 plug with FLP's is far worse. Soapy water, dialectric grease, or even WD40 works well. I think their a little tight so they don't slip around once they are installed, don't think its a shortcut.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:11 AM

We tried squeezing them, wd-40, all purpose oil, everything.

Finally we took a drill (with a bit a little bigger than the hole), and augged it out a little, but the heat from the drill spinning around in it heated up the rubber and made it much easier to work with.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by NOMAD
Ya wanna know whats easy ?
Put the wire in the boot... Pull it through... The put the crimp on... pull it backwards into the boot. On the 90 degree ends, push the wire in, use needle nose pliers and pull the wire through the bend. The crimp and pull the end back through.
I'll do a write up if you guys want

My brother showed me this after i tried to wrestle these things in after crimping... I felt like a moron

He used hand cleaner too

-Shannon
I'm sorry, I can't resist laughing at this. You guys are trying to push the crimped terminal into the the boot??? It took me longer to get mark the exact length I wanted than it did to make the wire As Nomad says, grease up the wire, push it through the boot, crimp it, and pull it back. I'm using MSD's but they should be similar to Taylor.

I didn't think they were that bad, the #5 plug with FLP's is far worse.
You know, at first I though the FLP's were horrendous! After a couple of times learning the ropes they are soooo much better than the stock manifolds. The first thing I did was modify a regular spark plug socket, cut some material front and back, and cut a small slot on one side to pass over the plug. This helps on some of the tight plugs. Once the alternator and starter is removed I've found that the hardest plug is #2 now. To get to #5 I lay underneath the car, with my head towards the front, slide my left hand up against the block just behind the oil level sensor, once your hands pops past the engine mount bolts it opens up enough to move your hand around.

I just lashed all my valves, installed the covers, plugs, and ignition wires in a couple hours tonight actually
Old 06-19-2003, 12:21 AM

Re: making OVC wires BLOWS A**!!!!

Originally posted by 1995redZ28
buy a vette and be done with it!!
Making the wires for a 'Vette is just as 'hard' Unless you mean you want to keep the 'Vette slow and stock Where's the fun in that?
Old 06-19-2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Buttercup
I'm sorry, I can't resist laughing at this. You guys are trying to push the crimped terminal into the the boot??? It took me longer to get mark the exact length I wanted than it did to make the wire As Nomad says, grease up the wire, push it through the boot, crimp it, and pull it back. I'm using MSD's but they should be similar to Taylor.

That's what I said!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 01:37 AM

grease those wires up with ky jelly and feed the wire through the boot with some pliers. I tried forcing them in with my hands and they would flop all over the place.

-B
Old 06-19-2003, 04:30 AM

thanks for all the replies. im NOT having problems getting the wire through the boot at all... its just i cant get the thing crimped on!!! the wire doesnt even fit inside the metal opti connector. when i try and crimp it down, the metal thing just digs into the wire and either cuts all the way through it, or slips right off. if the little metal opti conector was a little larger i would have no problem at all.

Making the wires for a 'Vette is just as 'hard' Unless you mean you want to keep the 'Vette slow and stock Where's the fun in that?
there would be no need to make your own wires for a C5. the wires are about 5 inches long. i just ordered a set of taylors for my dads car. slow and stock??? buying a stock vette would be just as fast as my hotcam/headers car without ANY effort!!! many people with just intake in the 12's..... ill be lucky with low 13's after doing everything ive done. plus the vette is an all around better car period!
Old 06-19-2003, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Buttercup
I'm sorry, I can't resist laughing at this. You guys are trying to push the crimped terminal into the the boot???
OK personally, I found it damn near impossible to get the wire that far into the boot without some sort of serious grease, which then made it impossible to put the wires on the opti because the boot would slip off. As far as laughing at that method, guess what, I did my entire wire set in under an hour using that method . I cut the wires to length, striped it, crimped the connector on, sprayed it with WD-40, and slipped it right on into the boot using a twisting motion. It worked great and it was FAR easier to get on then trying to pull 3 or 4 inches of wire through the boot.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:22 AM

Check this thread out that I posted a few weeks ago. Might be worth some consideration.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=130816

Quick Reply: making OVC wires BLOWS A**!!!!