LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

to many miles to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 03:36 PM

to many miles to mod?

I have a 93 z28 with 150k miles and i was wondering if i could put in a new cam with out having to completely rebuild it. I am also curious how much power i can make with stock heads and bottom end.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Administrator

I think I would start with headers, cold air, and cat back first. Even if the engine is pristine, the tranny has a lot of miles on it too. headers and cold air will help with gas mileage as well as performance.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

Bolt ons shouldn't be a problem. Heads and cam would be iffy. Look into the n2o section, there is a thread going on about "who sprays with the most miles" Some guys are hitting 150shots on high mile motors. So I wouldn't be scard of a 100 shot if my car had that many miles.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:48 PM

I'm getting a dry nitrous kit this Christmas. I'm only gonna spray a 100 shot...no more. I have 91,000 miles. It's not REAL high but not REAL low either. I'm waiting until next year to do a 383 or 396 build w/ ported/polished heads and cam. But I was told nitrous would still be ok on my car for now. I wouldn't suggest doing heads/cam work until you can get a rebuild.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:54 PM

If it's not broke don't fix it .... throw some juice down it ,if it brakes then fix it...
my $0.02
Old 10-20-2003, 12:16 AM

i just hit 140k today. i plan on modding this thing till it brakes. if you keep it clean and keep it in good running condition you wont have many problems.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by cndctrdj
i just hit 140k today. i plan on modding this thing till it brakes. if you keep it clean and keep it in good running condition you wont have many problems.
Whaaat????Just keeping it clean and in good running condition will not stop normal wear and tear. especially at 140K. I keep my motor in pretty good shape and spun bearings with 79K. I personally would not do a cam with 150K on my car. Just get mods you will be able to use when you do a rebuild, like headers....CAI....and other transferrable stuff.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:43 AM

My car has 103k and im lookin for a heads and cam package for it. If u think your motor is in pretty good condtion then do it. Just make sure if something goes wrong you got a back up. ie...money or a daily driver. I dont really think there is a for sure answer to this. Seems everyone with an Lt1 gets so many diff results.
Peace
omar
Old 10-20-2003, 05:58 AM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
Whaaat????Just keeping it clean and in good running condition will not stop normal wear and tear. especially at 140K. I keep my motor in pretty good shape and spun bearings with 79K. I personally would not do a cam with 150K on my car. Just get mods you will be able to use when you do a rebuild, like headers....CAI....and other transferrable stuff.
I have to agree. True, I've seen a guy with a 150,XXX mile LT1 put a cam in and he's fine. In fact, he just put in a Vortech SC this past weekend. But I've also seen other LT1's who did a cam/head package and it just couldn't handle it and had to get a rebuild. I would just start saving up money right now for a rebuild next year or a rebuild into a stroker. Also use that money for a good set of heads and a cam kit that will work good with a stroker motor. It'll be much better to have a high mileage car with bolt-ons that is pretty quick than a high mileage car with lots of engine work that isn't even running.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:29 AM

I say as long as your oil pressure is good, do it. Keep the revs under 6000 and you can get away with it, most people who had bad luck with h/c is because the pump could not keep up with the constant high rpm strain people put on the motor. for every 1,000 rpm's you need 10LBs of pressure and high mileage pumps are lucky to see 45LBs at 6000. When you do a h/c it is recommended you also take the time to replace the oil pump if your pressure is not that great. THEN you will be fine
Old 10-20-2003, 08:37 AM

I have 152K on a 96 and all I'm going to do is bolt ons. It's a daily driver for me so It needs to be dependable.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:51 PM

I think i am going to go for it. My engine has 20 lbs of oil pressure at idle is that enough? It has always been maintained by the original dealer. It was owned by a girl before me and she babied it and had all the maintance done regularly. I need to do something quick though because the imports are starting to **** me off at our school and a couple of them can actually kick my ***. What is a good cam to use and what headers are best. I would like a lot of lowto mid range power. Also how restrictive is the stock exhaust? I like the exhaust tips and don't want it any louder.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by 93 camaro ss
I think i am going to go for it. My engine has 20 lbs of oil pressure at idle is that enough? It has always been maintained by the original dealer. It was owned by a girl before me and she babied it and had all the maintance done regularly. I need to do something quick though because the imports are starting to **** me off at our school and a couple of them can actually kick my ***. What is a good cam to use and what headers are best. I would like a lot of lowto mid range power. Also how restrictive is the stock exhaust? I like the exhaust tips and don't want it any louder.
You don't want your car any louder than the stock exhaust? Come on, you'll love it if you put something else on there.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by 93 camaro ss
try not to get in trouble doing this, get on the highway and spin her to 5,000RPM's and QUICKLY check your oil pressure when you almost make it there, see if it goes past 40LBs or past the middle line and how far if it stays at the line or a little below you could run into problems with the cam/heads but only as long as you do not surpass 5,000RPM's. tell us what you get for a reading.