LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mean exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:05 AM

Mean exhaust

I'm looking to replace my Flowmaster exhaust with something meaner sounding. The choices I've come down to is Slp loudmouth, Dynomax, Mac, Random technologies, CMMG, or maybe Corsa. The Corsa is very expensive so I most likely won't get it. I don't care for the sound Borla makes. I've heard mustangs with Dynomax that sounded great, but that's a far comparison. I don't want it to be much louder than the Flowmaster, but I want it to sound mean. I want the exhaust note to say "Don't f##k with me". I don't want Raspyness though, just a nice mean growl. Any suggestions? Also, I can't find any sound clip samples online. Thanks for any help. Nick
Old 10-25-2004, 12:15 AM

Re: Mean exhaust

www.ls1sounds.com is an amazing site.

I'm also shopping around for exhausts, as soon as I get a full tuneup.

But yeah, this site is awesome, has all the exhausts that are out there, with clips on people's f-bodys, as well as brief description, pictures, and opinions.

(I know it says ls1, but there's some lt1's on there too)

Hope that helps!

-Thor K.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:27 AM

best sounding single exhaust possible would be gmmg. But it too is expensive, and holding my poor *** back.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:38 AM

if you have a local exhaust shop around, have some true duals fabbed up. 2.5" with an X or H pipe would work just fine with your current mods OR you could just slap some 3" duals on there and call it a day.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:03 AM

Why not go with an Electric cutout. Open exhaust when you want it, quiet at other times.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:43 AM

Get a Jegs or Hedmann 2.5" true dual X pipe kit and get some Sweet Thunders or Bullets.

Jason
Old 10-25-2004, 09:15 AM

The Hooker Cat-Back has a meaner sound then the Flowermaster system and its only $280 bones. THe Loudmouths is by far the means sounding of the cat-backs, but it will be VERY loud and alot of people get rid of the system when they do heads and cams. Also is does have some rasp. I had the loudmouths, but when I got my LTs, I decided to try out Duel Exhaust on my Z and I LOVE it. I think it is the best sounding Exhaust for the F-bodies. Plus the extra power over the Y-pipe and cat-back system is also a big plus.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:22 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll check out that site too.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:13 PM

IMO you can't go wrong with the Hooker catback system. I have it with the hotcam, LT headers, 3in. catless Y pipe. At idle its louder then stock but not crazy loud. Once you get on the gass though its to the point that its almost to loud. Its a very low deep rumble with no raspy sounds. The CMMG sounds great too but the price is insane.

Aaron
Old 10-25-2004, 07:18 PM

True Dual Bullets. Very mean sounding!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:36 PM

My exhaust set-up is the utlimate dont F*** with me sound. I have heard duals, hooker, borla, FM, magnaflow, corsa and everthing and nothing even compares to GMMG. With stock manifolds is was a deep rumble with a deep roar at WOT. Now with the LT's and ORY, it still has the deep but throaty sound at low RPMS, but when you open it up it's like the demons are released from HELL this thing roars to life screaming BACK THE F*** OFF! with all the necessary attitude. Anyone who says its over priced either hasnt heard one or needs to turn on their hearing aid. This thing is badass and I am overjoyed I spent the extra money everytime I get in my car. I have had several, I mean SEVERAL cars back down from races and revving matches after I unleashed the GMMG on their asses. This included a newer Ferrari I traded revs with in Streetsboro, OH. He was inching forward at a stop light and revved at me, so I rev back and the dude and his g/f stopped laughing IMMEDIATELYand looked straight forward. When the light turned green the guy would not even move (body or car), he sat petrified at the green light until I drove away. If that doesnt convey the true supremecy of GMMG I dont know what would.

By the way, Hooker sounds real mean after it rusts through the aluminized steel piping...not really what I was looking for in a system so I went with SS. The stock catback is stainless steel, I strongly suggest not going backwards in quality from the stock catback.

-Dustin-

Last edited by Bersaglieri; 10-25-2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:54 PM

^^^haha that was great
Old 10-25-2004, 08:57 PM

I vote true dual bullets as well. It sounds mean as hell with jet hot long tube headers. I can barely hear though after I take a drive with my windows down.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:11 PM

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but true duals with the
Flowmaster race mufflers is real loud and real mean.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
By the way, Hooker sounds real mean after it rusts through the aluminized steel piping...
-Dustin-

I've had 3in. X pipe into 3in. duals with dynomax bullets. Yes it sounded mean but it was somewhat raspy, and insanely loud. By loud I mean it created new squeaks/rattles within my dash, radio/cds wasn't even possible because the car was to loud, driving hard with the windows down meant I damn near lost my hearing when I was done, and to cap it off, a $160 fine for illegal muffler. Best bang for your buck is the hooker catback. You wont be dissapointed. If money is not any issue, then yes, the CMMG sounds great. For the price of it though you could not only have the hooker but aslo add some other go fast goodies to your ride.

Aaron

Quick Reply: Mean exhaust