LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Might not be a fuel pump issue..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM

Might not be a fuel pump issue..?

Recently picked up another Z28. This is a 96/M6 bones stock save for the Borla and SLP CAI that I threw on. I drove the car on a 65 mile shakedown trip to see if there was anything that I needed to work on. Car ran really good if not great until about the 50 mile mark when the car seemed to wanna get sluggish, the SES light came on, flashed, then went solid before I could pull over and shut the car off. I pulled over, checked everything out and restarted after about 10 minutes. I inititally thought that the FP was overheating/failing. Drove the car again till I reached my destination. Stopped for about 30 minutes and grabbed some chow. Got back in the cra and headed back. No issues this time till I got off the highway and then the flashing and bogging resurfaced. After pulling over again and waiting another 15 minutes, the car started up fine and took me home with no other problems or bogging or flashing lights. Since then I've pretty much determined that I need to replace the FP. Read up on the "trap door" approach and was ready to start today. Before I go throwing money at it I'd like to make sure it's not an electical issue or switching problem. The problem that I have is that I cannot Physically hear the fuel pump initiating on KOEO. If I cycle the key a couple times, it'll come on and prime. Once it primes, it'll start fine. If I don't cycle it, I'm having to turn it over for about 12 seconds before it'll start. Isn't there another fast way to pull the code with a jumper wire (like the OBD 1 cars??) and what kind of things should I look for before I jump in without knowing the temp of the water?? I've checked the basics such as fuses and even tested the gas cap for leakdown so I can eliminate the simple things. Ive just never really had much experience with the testing of electrical circuits on this car yet so I thought that I should ask.

Thanks fellas,
Ivan
Old 06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

well you've got a SES light, so i'd say the 1st thing you should do is go look up what goodies the computer has to share with you!

no we can't paperclip jump our codes out.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hey01
well you've got a SES light, so i'd say the 1st thing you should do is go look up what goodies the computer has to share with you!

I'm with ya. Do I need to go get a scan or is there a "paperclip" trick that will flash the light to obtain the code?? I remember doing this with my 93 5.0 but that was OBD I. I'm sure that there is a trick to it. Otherwise I'll go waste money on a scanner...lol...

Thanks,
Ivan
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hey01

Originally Posted by IPrice
I'm with ya. Do I need to go get a scan or is there a "paperclip" trick that will flash the light to obtain the code?? I remember doing this with my 93 5.0 but that was OBD I. I'm sure that there is a trick to it. Otherwise I'll go waste money on a scanner...lol...

Thanks,
Ivan

Again.... the 1993 LT1 was the last year you could flash the codes on the SES light by shorting the ALDL pins. As a minimum, you need an OBD-II code reader, availabe for less than $50. Try Harbor Freight for the lowest possible price.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:25 PM

I had a similar issue with my 97, i couldn't hear the pump prime, plus it had hard starting, but it ran great otherwize, i've sence installed a 9", so while under there, i pulled the tank & replaced the pump, now i can hear it prime, it starts much easier, also has a quiter tone in the exhaust, don't know whats up with that lol, maybe it fattened up the mixture.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

Again.... the 1993 LT1 was the last year you could flash the codes on the SES light by shorting the ALDL pins. As a minimum, you need an OBD-II code reader, availabe for less than $50. Try Harbor Freight for the lowest possible price.
No I figured that much. I just know that I used to do it all the time in the ole '92. Just looking for Grassroots answers till payday...lol.

Thanks and when I get some codes to work with, then I'll repost with em and go from there.

Thanks for the help,
Ivan