LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mindgame, come on, tell us more about your car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 03:06 AM

I love your car mindgame, work of art. Is it available for rent? I'll put my own tires on the back don't worry!
Old 05-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Banned

Did you run in the nines, or is that projected? I would like to see some pics of that exhaust. Were the collectors 3.5 inch? Did you develop this engine on simulation software, and if so what kind and what did it project for figures? BTW impressive. My dad and I are trying to make low 500 at the wheels with an auto and 23* heads, we want to run 10's on drag radials with a/c, all motor.

David
Old 05-31-2004, 06:51 PM

Wow, let's resurrect William Shakespeare while we're at it.

David,
My best run so far has been 9.82 @ 138.6mph. That was in good air and everything hitting like it should.. both tires dangling in the air. My first run with this car was a 10.4-ish time on drag radials. I wasn't allowed any more runs after that.... car wasn't up to safety specs. Shortly after that, I made a trip to the 1/8 mile track to do some more tuning and I was sitting with a best that evening of 6.39 @108.7 mph (on slicks this time and in need of more tuning). I also twisted the mainshaft my last time out and just got the car back together (with beefier parts in the tranny) this past weekend.
In between all these track runs I've changed a few parts, lost a few pounds (car) and things keep getting better. My car with 1/2 a tank of fuel and me in it weigh in at 3399lbs, fwiw.

From the word go, and based on my racing experience, I felt this car had high 9-second potential. So at one time, yes, it was "projected". I don't think the car is going to get much faster than it is now unless I gut everything and blow some nitrous through it and/or run a larger camshaft. Playing with lash seems to suggest that this car would like a bit more camshaft, but that's a sacrafice I'm not willing to make. Never really set out to be the "fastest" or anything... just a quick fun car that can be driven to the track or office. I'd christen this one a success.

The collectors are made by Burns and through quite a few discussions, we arrived at a 3.25" diameter collector that is rather long in comparison to your standard Hooker collector. I don't remember exact dims, but I'd guess close to 12" in length.

The induction system I left up to Chuck Riddeck (Mr Horsepower). I don't know if you remember him but he did all the cylinder head work and spec'd the camshaft(s) based on his projections and my desire to use the "LT4" intake manifold. I use the term loosely because this intake doesn't much resemble a stock LT4 intake anymore, lol. The tops of the runners were welded and opened to match the custom spacers which are needed to bolt this intake up on a set of 15º heads. In that we gained probably ~1" of runner. Chuck felt strongly against the use of this intake and felt I was giving up 15+ hp to a Vic Super or similar intake. I may still go that route since it won't change the drivabilty at all. Either way, the development was left up to Mr Riddeck as that is what he does for a good deal of professional motorsports teams. Very sharp guy... and even that's an understatement!

I've been following your project intently and can't wait to see what it does. Your pops seems to be very knowledgable so I'm expecting it to really fly.

You guys (Jason Short, 95bird and a few others) are really pushing things along with these 23º builds. Cool to see everyone getting faster. Although I would like to see someone use a 14, 15, or 18º head for one of these "street" builds. Either that or a nice set of canted valves.

Work has me tied up right now and my enery has been spent on putting together a 64' Sunbeam Tiger. I may get around to some pics eventually.

Good luck.

-Mindgame
Old 05-31-2004, 09:39 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Just found this post, interesting.....

Originally posted by Mindgame
Okay, I guess a parts list would be kinda boring wouldn't it?
Well for you maybe ;-) Anyways reading thru this with a engine builders point of view here are a few thoughts

+.030 block, fully machined, 4-bolt (parallel) main caps, arp studs, lifter bores indexed, lifter valley vent tubes, decked to 9.010".
4 bolt Parallel main caps are more expensive since the machining is much more labor intense but the main cap does get a bigger footprint due to the fact that a stepped cap that is used on a 2 bolt conversion has a clearance under the outer part of the cap.

Lifter bores being indexed is a great idea to get the cam timing correct on every cylinder, this is usually a $400-$600 job when done on a old school mill but worth the money when you want to do things right.

forged lightweight pistons, reverse dish custom machined by PRED to mirror 15* combustion chamber, dfl coated skirts, tb coated crowns. Static comp is ~12.0:1, dynamic ~9.0:1... pump gas friendly
Coatings, Coatings, Coatings. That and the 9.0:1 DCR is a nice way to go, with that and the cam specs you give away the advance/retard of the cam but that's only if you know how to figure it out. The biggie here is the revearse dome setup, being able to have a 46cc chamber helps in this department. For those of you who need a pic to visualize that....

You can see how the chamber is copied into the piston, this helps the combustion space be more compact and allows the motor to be a "fastburn" style motor. It also helps with calming down detonation.

speed pro plasma moly rings, 3/64-3/64-1/16

lightweight C&A wristpins, casidium coated (already in my posession)

4340 manley h-beam rods, ARP L19 bolts

4340 HTC crank, knife edged, some lightening

King alecular bearings & dura bond
This part is suprising.... but the 3/64 rings are thinner than your average 1/16 ring pack. Casidium coated pins are always nice, what material are the pins? 9310? since you are NA and more of a durabilty application?
BTW here is a pic of a Casidium coated pin Kind of a black mirror like coating.

What I find suprising is the 705g rods! Them puppies will hold this power but man that is a heavy dam rod bud. The L19's are nice though.

HTC crank, new or a used one? Either way they make some nice stuff.

King alecular bearings are some nice stuff, high particle size embedibility, good thing to look at vs. a Clevite77 H.

custom billet cam ~244@ .050, ~.600 total valve lift, 110 lsa (cam idles like a well tuned CC306 in a 350)

Isky valvesprings, pushrods, locks, titanium retainers, lash caps

Isky aluminum-top roller lifters, Isky rev-kit
Nice sized cam for what you are doing. I though you were using Manton PR's?

PRED CNC'd GM 15* heads (w/reverse cool conversion), bead-lock ferrea valves (2.125/1.625), serdi competition valve job, ~220 cc intake runners, ~340 cfm intake ~260 cfm exhaust, 46 cc combustion chambers. Intake velocity average 340 f/s, exhaust 320 f/s.
Here is another reason why this is such a nice piece. 220cc is not a big port in a 15-18deg casting, but 340cfm is good for that size port for sure, Chuck does some nice work!

The other good thing here is that they are GM castings, not a aftermarket casting. These castings have a much better coolant passage around the chambers and have more coolant running thru the heads, this helps with running high cylinder temps and high compression on street gas.

BTW have seen them as cheap as $600 a head http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/pr...roduct_ID=1538

LT4 intake, ported/welded, custom 1-inch adaptor plates(o'ringed) and end rails to mate with 15* head's 10* face angle and higher port location. LT4 intake gains an inch of runner length. Still cheaper than a Hogans, Wilson etc by about a grand.
This part I really like. I was wondering, how a LT4 intake worked on a set of 24502615 (PN, and 101343633 casting) heads. Now it makes sense why you make so much TQ in this motor, it's longer runner length. Very nice touch and sounds like a Mr. HP trick to me.

Custom headers, 1.875" diameter primaries w/merge collectors, x-pipe, 3" duals transition to 2.5" right before going over the axle, 2 in 2 out Borla muffler in stock location, double wall stainless tips
Good ole big headers! Something you need on a 650hp street car.

I left the RA finishes to my engine builder... he knows his stuff.
;-)

Dyno numbers are after tuning and are SAE corrected. Dynojet was used. BSFC range .4 - .452.
Nice range for the BSFC, what did you end up with for AFR? This motor is so effiecent that I'm sure it was not too lean since all the little things were done correctly.

Nothing looks too awful spectacular about my motor besides the heads. I don't believe in billet parts for a high hp n/a street motor, they're overkill. As a matter of fact, I could build a budget ~350... 3.5" forged crank, Scat i-beam rods, lightweight hyper pistons, 215 RR AFR's with stud rockers, a mild solid roller and make 475 rwhp with the stock computer and a 7000 rpm peak... (of course you'd need a raised-port intake and an elbow). It can be done without a ton of cash..... just heads (the big thing), cam and lightweight stuff.
Might not need all of that to get that kind of power, but that is a good way to do the bottom end. I might substitute a set of nice flat top forged pistons in there. 215RR's should get a bunch done and yes the intake will do it but you would probably see much more than 475rwhp with a setup like that, closer to 525rwhp. Yes the heads are the place to dump all the money!

This is one of the reasons why I say that MG's motor is a impressive motor, it's well thought out, money is spent in the right places and the motor uses good ideas and engine design to make power, not gobs of N2O or boost, but then again nothing is wrong with that ;-)

Good deal

Bret

Last edited by SStrokerAce; 05-31-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:17 PM

MG, I'm curious as to how loud your car is. My friend just got his Mustang together, and while its a lot more subdued than I thought it would be, it is a good bit louder than a heads/cam 350 LT1.

Also, what is the main thing that helps to create the power in your motor? I know the heads contribute greatly, but is there that much difference in valve angle and what not? My friends stang has a lot more cubic inches, and a good bit more camshaft. Here are some details.

436 CID
AFR 225
260/268 640/650 lift
Super Victor intake
Holley 950

Car makes great power to me, especially with a stock intake, the ports on it don't come close to the AFRs. It made 515 RWHP at 6100 rpms, and power hadn't leveled off yet. He has a self imposed rev limit of 6200, since its a 3 inch main block. When his ported intake is done, we hope to see another 20 rwhp or so.

So, what exactly makes such a difference? I would presume that an extra 50+ cubic inches would help some, though I'm sure its more with torque. My only other guess is that the AFR 225s do not flow as advertised, possibly only flowing around 300 - 310 as opposed to 335.

Last, what kind of timing does the motor like? I'm guessing low because of the efficiency of the combustion chamber and pistons.
Thanks!

Oh yeah - Get some pics up! (the car AND the motor!)
Old 06-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

Mindgame what are the specs for the cooling system in this car? And would you be willing to "donate" a set of cylinder heads as you described above? We would be more than glad to "shake them down" for you. LMAO. We are giving up 20 CFM at peak as compared to what you have on your car. But we feel we have a slightly better intake tract, so things may even out.
Did you flow the intake and head bolted together? And if so, how much did the numbers drop through the LT4. And what kind of driveshaft is in the car?

Big Dave
Old 06-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Joe,

I don't post anything to brag, which is why I don't talk about my car in every thread I decide to post in.
Also the reason why I haven't gone through hoops and barrels to post pics and build a website... although I may down the road.

Thanks again.

-Mindgame
Old 06-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Mindgame, that's an impressive motor congrats!
I see Mr. Horsepower's name(aka Chuck Riddeck) mentioned and was wondering what happened to him? What shop does he work at and how can we contact him? I would like to see him participate in the Popular Hot Rodding Engine Masters contest, I'm sure he'll be a top contender.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Seems our friend Mindgame here is an actual "Tuner" ... not just a guy that bolts on a bunch of expensive crap... hoping for the best... nice setup... please tell me your secrets... I won't tell anyone.... honest....
Old 06-01-2004, 11:38 AM

MG..that is a killer setup. Maybe when I finish my LT4 testing(still not on the car yet) I will decide to get serious and put a "time to kick some ***" head on the car. You have a very well thought out combo. I'm impressed and jealous

fastboy...we have some flow bench numbers on a stock lt4 intake on some ported lt4 heads and then a welded/ported intake on the same head. I can try to hunt them down if you would like.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 95Bird
MG..that is a killer setup. Maybe when I finish my LT4 testing(still not on the car yet) I will decide to get serious and put a "time to kick some ***" head on the car. You have a very well thought out combo. I'm impressed and jealous

fastboy...we have some flow bench numbers on a stock lt4 intake on some ported lt4 heads and then a welded/ported intake on the same head. I can try to hunt them down if you would like.
Please do, I am gonna have somethin for ya at cruisin the coast...well I hope its together by then. BTW I have a very nice brand new ported LT4 intake by West Coast Cylinder head if you know anyone interested.

Congrats on cracking the 10's

Oy yeh what engine management are you using? And whats the most NA horsepower any of you have seen on the stock opti and PCM?

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-01-2004 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by FASTFATBOY
Did you flow the intake and head bolted together? And if so, how much did the numbers drop through the LT4. And what kind of driveshaft is in the car?

Big Dave
Dave, its not on MGs heads with the adapter plate but here is what we found on my lt4 heads. I copied and pasted SAR2Ks post on the findings

I just tested this on an LT4 intake last week. I used a factory LT4 head that I'm about 90% done with for 95Bird. On the head I've worked the intake side to 205cc and it flows 275 @ .600
With the unported intake bolted up to the head on the bench it flowed 230.5 @ .600
After fully porting the intake (includes raising the runner) the combo flowed 251.8 @ .600
Peak gain 21.8 cfm.
Link for the flow graph:
http://www.thunderracing.com/users/s...ke%20chart.jpg
Intake on bench:
http://www.thunderracing.com/users/s...imH_LT4002.jpg

Basically it took a 45 CFM hit on a stock lt4 intake on a ported lt4 head. After the welding/porting it tookabout a 23 cfm hit.

Last edited by 95Bird; 06-01-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 95Bird
Dave, its not on MGs heads with the adapter plate but here is what we found on my lt4 heads. I copied and pasted SAR2Ks post on the findings

I just tested this on an LT4 intake last week. I used a factory LT4 head that I'm about 90% done with for 95Bird. On the head I've worked the intake side to 205cc and it flows 275 @ .600
With the unported intake bolted up to the head on the bench it flowed 230.5 @ .600
After fully porting the intake (includes raising the runner) the combo flowed 251.8 @ .600
Peak gain 21.8 cfm.
Link for the flow graph:
http://www.thunderracing.com/users/...ake%20chart.jpg
Intake on bench:
http://www.thunderracing.com/users/...TimH_LT4002.jpg

Basically it took a 45 CFM hit on a stock lt4 intake on a ported lt4 head. After the welding/porting it tookabout a 23 cfm hit.

Links inop, see my above post.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by FASTFATBOY
Please do, I am gonna have somethin for ya at cruisin the coast...well I hope its together by then. BTW I have a very nice brand new ported LT4 intake by West Coast Cylinder head if you know anyone interested.

Congrats on cracking the 10's

David

Look forward to some fun at CTC. Should have my new setup on by then and hope to be in the 128-129mph range in good air.I will keep my ears open on the intake. What are you going to use?

thanks...its about damn time I made the 10s..lol. the car has had it in it for a year I just kept having problems that caused alot of down time. I still never got to run in -DA so there was more in the current setup than the 125.7 that it did run. All my 10.9x runs were in +800 DA range. I'm gonna keep trying this 23 deg. gm casting stuff to see how far I can take it.

I fixed the links in above post.

Last edited by 95Bird; 06-01-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

I'm impressed that you were able to get Chuck to do the work for you, as he is one busy guy

Quick Reply: Mindgame, come on, tell us more about your car!