LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Modded LT1 vs drivability

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMan
Look at my setup. I had an A4 on this setup originally with a stock stall. It crawled just a tad. With a 2600 12" S-10 stall it would of been perfect.
Not sure what you mean by "crawled". Please elaborate.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:10 PM

i just think the only way to keep the street manners you want i dont think you will get the performance that you are looking for without a power adder.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by RedWS6TA
i just think the only way to keep the street manners you want i dont think you will get the performance that you are looking for without a power adder.
I know I'm walking a fine line. That's why I'm looking for input from you guys. I think that a streetable setup in a camaro will be even more streetable in a lighter vette. My radixed truck has a 220 581 on a 115 that is very streetable even with the stock converter. I know that the supercharger tames the cam a bit, but I'm hoping I can go bigger N/A with the vette being 1500lbs lighter.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Depends on your definition of streetable! My 111LSA custom cam thumps like hell and surges even after the dyno tune, but I have no problem with that and consider it very streetable(aka it doesnt stall! )

If you want off the shelf, I think you would love the 219 lingenfelter grind or the crane 227. Both are great cams even with stock heads, and while they make decent hp numbers, more importantly they run good times.

Of course, custom will always be the best route when picking a cam, but expect to pay a bit more. Maybe something similar to the lingenfelter but with a bit more lift and a numerically higher LSA should be a well mannered cam that can still put turn heads at the track. I'm sure almost any professional can spec you a great cam for your setup that you will be happy with. Would be quite the sleeper in that light vette of yours!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM

It was mentioned a few posts back,but for excellent drivability and good power/road manners/vacuum the LPE 211/219 .533/.560 or the 219/219 .560/.560 both on 112s are great cams...I ran the 211/219 in my 383 for years with great results...These motors with ported stock heads love smallish duration with bigger lifts...I'm also a huge fan of LPEs LT1 heads...Having been to their facility a few times and seen their attention to detail and the quality of work I can say that you get what you pay for...I have the LPE "big valve" 2.00/1.56s on my 383 and had them re-ported in 2005 by Eric Bradby (E.B. Porting) and he found a bit more air, but said that the LPE heads are quality pieces with highest quality springs, valves, titanium retainers, etc, etc...I'm on my 12th year with the same valve springs from LPE!

My 383 is set up for DD and I run a Joe Overton spec'd Erson grind 226/234 .568/.568 on a 111 and its just a terrific cam. While considered small by most it kicks *** and retains great drivability...

If it were me and I was going off the shelf I'd do the LPE LT1 big valve heads and the 219/219 cam...LPE ain't cheap, but the attention to detail, quality, CNC/hand blending, and assembly are second to none. John was all about going fast with great drivability and reliability...

--Alan
Old 09-04-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by ABA383
My 383 is set up for DD and I run a Joe Overton spec'd Erson grind 226/234 .568/.568 on a 111 and its just a terrific cam. While considered small by most it kicks *** and retains great drivability...
--Alan
That is almost the same exact specs of my cam . Cams in that range make amazing street/strip LT1s I have a tiny bit more intake duration and lift, but my heads are local shop ported and I am stock cubes so I do not make as much power as you. Still good for daily drivable 11's!!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Old Motorhead
Not sure what you mean by "crawled". Please elaborate.
He probably means it wants to push through the brakes a little. An aftermarket converter fixes that. Naturally a stick doesn't have that problem. Why not tell us how fast you would like to go? It might be easier to figure out what parts combination you will need.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
from eportworks.com, you can get a LE1.5 which will give u more power than the hotcam, but still be just as streetable.

My favorite though is the lingenfelter 219/219 560/560. Great power, excellent manners.
I have the LE1.5 heads with the Le1.5 cam and it is very streetable. Only ill manners compared to bone stock is less torque under 1800 RPM. I used to be able to cruise 3rd or 4th at 1500 RPM, the new setup will buck a bit. Cruising in tall gears is totally does not present the problem I just described.

My car starts building power about 2500 and pulls HARD to 6200. The stock cam starts building power at ~2000 and peters out at 5700 or so.

IMHO anything bigger than CC503 will impact street manners. By this I mean you will get more low RPM surging and bucking cause the motor is under the powerband. Its the cam choice that imapcts street manners for the most part. The other factor is everyones perception of "streetability" is a bit different. Some people think the CC306 and GM 847 dont impact street manners, the CC306 I drove bogged and surged at RPM's that would make it a bad daily driver and yes it was tuned.

Last edited by wrd1972; 09-04-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:14 AM

yeah we havent heard what your goals are at the track, and how streetable is streetable. do you want a near stock idle? even bigger cams said on here sill still yield decent gas mileage on a good tune. I think the only limiting factor youve mentioned is idle vacuum. my cam with stock cubes had just a bit too little vacuum. at certain times there wasnt much power assist. now with the 383 cid it has awesome driveability and great brakes and all that. see sig for times, but thats full weight and 95 deg heat. will find out in october what it'll do in cool air and with simple weight reduction like sway bar and drag wheels as only weight reductions. oh, and thats with my home ported heads and a marginal tune.

anyways, I 226/234 cam would be my choice out of all the cams mentioned. should have awesome top end, and still maintain excellent driveability and idle pretty well still, slight lope Im sure. but prolly great idle vacuum still.

AI or LE heads IMHO.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Here's the route I took, 96 Vette. It's a daily driver and I drive it all over the country. 23 MPG on the highway.

Idles well and doesn't draw attention from other motorists while sitting at a traffic light. Passed emission testing a few weeks ago.

388 CID LT1 (+.060),10.7 CR, EAGLE Forged 3.75" Crank, EAGLE 6" 'H' Beam FF Rods, SRP Forged Pistons, AFR 190s Ported to 212ccs (304 cfm@.600), Ported LT1 Intake, CompCams XFI 230/236 Hydraulic Roller, CompCams Lifters, SCORPION 1.7 RRs, ATI Super Damper, Crane Double Valve Springs, TFS Hardened Pushods, SVO 30# Injectors, PROFORM 1/4" Taller Valve Covers, HUGHES 3000 Stall, PCMFORLESS PCM Tune

Jake
Old 09-04-2007, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Old Motorhead
There's no turbo system available for LT1 powered vettes.
STS + Raptor are building rear turbo systems for the LT1 and LT4 Vettes. The LT1 and LT4 are single turbos and the LT5 will be dual. The LT1 and LT4 have already been built and tested on a car. I believe they are now setting up the manufacturing process for the tubing. It may not be ready for the public until the end of this year or early next year. There is a thread on another forum about their progress. If you are interested PM me.

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
Here's the route I took, 96 Vette. It's a daily driver and I drive it all over the country. 23 MPG on the highway.

Idles well and doesn't draw attention from other motorists while sitting at a traffic light. Passed emission testing a few weeks ago.

388 CID LT1 (+.060),10.7 CR, EAGLE Forged 3.75" Crank, EAGLE 6" 'H' Beam FF Rods, SRP Forged Pistons, AFR 190s Ported to 212ccs (304 cfm@.600), Ported LT1 Intake, CompCams XFI 230/236 Hydraulic Roller, CompCams Lifters, SCORPION 1.7 RRs, ATI Super Damper, Crane Double Valve Springs, TFS Hardened Pushods, SVO 30# Injectors, PROFORM 1/4" Taller Valve Covers, HUGHES 3000 Stall, PCMFORLESS PCM Tune

Jake

Sounds like a winner.

I recently started buying some of the smaller parts for a future build. I'd like to go 396 with after market ported heads and cam built for more spray.

Last edited by rickreeves1; 09-04-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Goals....

My goals for the car are to have as much HP as possible without making it a pain to get along with (375 to 400 rwhp or more?). Let's say the chosen cam specs out about 225 to 228 duration and 560 to 580 (with 1.6 rr's) lift on a 114LSA. That should be more agressive than the 305, but not as nasty as a 306. Won't the wider LSA tame it down a bit?

With the cam chosen, what about heads? Im leaning toward a Lloyd E package, since he's fairly close. How much benefit would there be going with the LE2 vs the LE1? Don't think I'll spin it much north of 6300 rpm. Would there be more drivability issues with the LE2 vs the 1 with the chosen cam? Is intake porting something worthwhile? Again, would a ported intake lead to more drivability issues? Bigger throttle body? Related bad manners from bigger TB?

I have EM long tube headers (1.75") on the way, no cats, dumping into stock resonator and muffs (may ditch the resonator). I know I'll give up a few hp with the stock muffs, but I've heard they really aren't that restrictive. I hate mufflers that don't shut the f**k up when you set the cruise. I'll have PCMforless retune. 3200 stall and shift kit. 3.73 ratio rear.

I know some of this is a rehash of my first post. Just want to refresh. Again, thanks for the help. Looking to do it right the first time. I've been jacking up small chevys for better than 30 years now. Just never had much experience with gen II motors and fuel injection. That opti thing has me a little puzzled too.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by rickreeves1
STS + Raptor are building rear turbo systems for the LT1 and LT4 Vettes. The LT1 and LT4 are single turbos and the LT5 will be dual. The LT1 and LT4 have already been built and tested on a car. I believe they are now setting up the manufacturing process for the tubing. It may not be ready for the public until the end of this year or early next year. There is a thread on another forum about their progress. If you are interested PM me.

Sounds like a winner.

I recently started buying some of the smaller parts for a future build. I'd like to go 396 with after market ported heads and cam built for more spray.
I've been following that thread for quite some time on the corvette forum. Even posted on it a time or two. I don't have the patience to wait for that. I'm also guessing the first few systems that come out won't be without bugs. I'll let someone else do their R&D. Maybe this time next year they'll have something I'd be interested in. Just feel the need for speed NOW.

Last edited by Old Motorhead; 09-04-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM

to answer your questin, the wider LSA will tame it down at idle, but if you dont advance the ICL, and leave it at 115, that will raise the peak rpm point. or you could look at it another way, get the 114 LSA with 4degrees advance ground in. basically, it would be 114+4 lsa on the card. to bring the peak HP rpm down and widen the torque curve. ofcourse, Im not a cam guru, but just an idea to throw at whoever specs your cam. if you stick around the 226-230 duration range, the peak rpm would prolly be right around the 6300 rpm mark on a 355.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM

Anybody have any experience with bigger heads, ported intake, bigger throttle body with a moderate cam? Just wondering if there's more hp to be had without giving up drivability. Thanks

Quick Reply: Modded LT1 vs drivability