LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

modification questions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 AM

modification questions/advice

I am semi new to the site, i have a 1996 camaro ss, six speed, has flowmaster exhaust, msd ignition, hooker shorties, 373 gears, im getting an insurance check this week and would like to build the car a bit, most noticeable gains for my money, but more less easy applications to install, looking for any advise. slp cold air intake or k & n? i plan to get the car tuned after purchasing a few things. im considering ported throttle body, intake ect. but dont know which direction to go in, i am hoping to be somewhere in the 12s range when i go to the track, also if anyones selling applications that could help me. im not sure how to PM on here yet, but my email adress is ilc716@yahoo.com & i live near Pittsburgh PA, would like to meet locally for parts. thank you also, a little off topic, im thinking of wheel spacers to enhance the look, what is a nice noticable size to go with?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 AM

Different exhaust
Long tube headers instead of shorties.
CAI cheaper NAME BRAND the better, between them two I choose K&N.
Some sort of tires, drag radials can handle the 12's.

Granted, this will not get you in the 12's with out some serious weight reduction.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:32 AM

well really i was hoping to build from what i already have not start from scratch, the applications i have, have to do something for me, but i need a direction to start in now, want to start out semi easy and semi cheap, get all the little powerful mods out of the way. i do have falken cheater slicks on the back (this car is also my everyday driver). i know for sure first thing i get will be a cold air intake, then deciding on a ported throttle body or spacer? someone had brought up spacers give u 15 hp. i want all the little things out of the way before i set up an appointment to get a tune, but im having no luck finding good used parts vs payin full price, i try to look on this site for parts, but dont understand the PM, and by the time im interested in something, theres 20 msgs and its sold, does anyone have advise for a site to find parts? and a direction to start in.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Administrator

First, provide DETAILS on what you already have.

Is the "flowmaster exhaust" a full catback? If so, which one?

The Hooker shorties are not a very good choice. If you insist on sticking with "build(ing) from what I alread have" you may be limiting yourself.

What components make up the "msd ignition"? Opti, coil, multiple spark box and wires?

What are "Falken cheater slicks"? Do you mean the Falken Azenis RT-615?

Who told you a throttle body spacer would give you 15HP? It won't. I don't think anyone even makes one for an LT1. If they do, I'm not aware of anyone actually using one.

Why do you want to port the intake? The stocker is fine for anything but heavilly modified heads. Doesn't need any work at all on stock heads. If you're thinking of opening up for a 58mm throttle body, it would be a waste of money at this point, as would the throttle body. You can go to 52mm without opening up the intake manifold. AS&M makes a 54mm that will work as well.

You are looking at a cold air intake. Does that mean you feel it would perform better than the SS intake ducting? Probably will.

Have you done the throttle body coolant bypass? Have you considered 1.6X full roller rockers? Are you willing to change the cam?

A computer tune is beneficial at any point. There are a few mail order tuners who are popular. Some of them will update your tune when required for a reduced cost. How did you program the PCM for the 3.73 gears?

PM = private message. To send a seller a PM, left click on the persons "screen name" in their post. A drop down will give you the option to send them a PM or an e-mail. To access your PM account, go to the upper right hand corner of any screen, and left click on the "your notifications" link.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:19 PM

The Flowmaster is a cat back, came on the car, along with the 373 gears, the hooker shorties i put on myself, and now regret means everyone is telling me it was a bad decision, i did get a decent sound from them though. the ported throttle body was just an idea, im taken advise from different people, and putting it all into one. as for the cold air intake, unfortunitely, i had a pendot truck do an illegal u-turn on me, and hit me, the hood i have now is not a true ss, is functional, but up front instead of where i need it, thats the reason for the cold air intake, just not sure between summit, k&n and slp will give me the most power. at this point and time, when my check arrives, i will have some spending money, but not enough to do big things like superchargers and such, prob not even a head/cam package, unless i find a good used package. thats why im trying to stick with smaller applications that will add up. im not the best mechanic, actually i suck period, some of my friends are good but im trying not to give them a huge job. id like to hear any and all possibilitys i could gain power from, before my tune, i would really like to be in the 12s somewhere for now. (sorry for everything being scattered)
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM

So i ordered a K & N cold air intake today and hawk performance brakes, so with the flowmaster exhaust, 373 gears, cold air intake, msd ignition, shortie headers, and a tune at the local performance shop, anyone got an idea what kinda numbers im looking at at the track? thank you
Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Garylisko
So i ordered a K & N cold air intake today and hawk performance brakes, so with the flowmaster exhaust, 373 gears, cold air intake, msd ignition, shortie headers, and a tune at the local performance shop, anyone got an idea what kinda numbers im looking at at the track? thank you
probably mid 13's......
Old 06-04-2009, 02:28 AM

i also put a 160 theromostat in today as well, tune is friday, i will be disappointed to run a mid 13, the internet shows my car runs a 13.4 flat, granted there are 75,000 miles on the car and im sure that will hurt it a little, with the mods i have and tune, im really hoping for a 12.9 is it possible? im told a tune could shave 4 10ths of a second on my time? i have two choices i could get a reg tune for $175 or advanced with dyno for $450, i have the money but am running low, do u guys feel it would be worth my extra money and i would see a better difference out of the one for $450? i dont want to spend unnessary money. what all can i expect to see from the tune? and options between the two. thank you
Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 AM

i also put a 160 theromostat in today as well, tune is friday, i will be disappointed to run a mid 13, the internet shows my car runs a 13.4 flat, granted there are 75,000 miles on the car and im sure that will hurt it a little, with the mods i have and tune, im really hoping for a 12.9 is it possible? im told a tune could shave 4 10ths of a second on my time? i have two choices i could get a reg tune for $175 or advanced with dyno for $450, i have the money but am running low, do u guys feel it would be worth my extra money and i would see a better difference out of the one for $450? i dont want to spend unnessary money. what all can i expect to see from the tune? and options between the two. thank you
I don't know where you saw your car will do 13.4 on the internet but, stock, your car would be high 13's to low 14's.

I don't want to get into a debate on what each component will add horsepower-wise but I think you're talking about a relatively small increase in power...certainly less than 40 rear wheel ponies. 40 horses on a 3750 pound car could be worth as much a 1/2-second, assuming you can launch the car well. So, with an average time, stock, of 13.9 and a 40 horse increase, you're looking at mid 13's... I'm not a great drag racer but I can tell you it's not all that easy to break into the 12's. It's as much about chassis setup as it is about power. Add in the difficulties of launching with the 6-speed at you lose consistency...I was all over the place until I came up with a technique that worked for me.

Do yourself a favor and don't beleive all the horsepower claims the manufacturers put out there...they're all either best case scenarios or 'exaggerations'. People also make pretty wild claims about what the mods they do net them on power....

Good luck with your mods and enjoy the car
Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 PM

i understand where your coming from, companys do lie, it had said that a 96 camaro ss runs a 13.4 flat as oposed to a z28 runs a little higher time. the guy who is performing my tune, thinks that with all added up id be close to 12.9 i just dont want to drop the money and be dissapointed, i have my choice between spending 175 and 450, but if im not going to see a great difference i dont see the point in spending the extra money.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:26 AM

do yourself a favor and make a few passes at the strip the way the car is now. get a feel for it then decide what you want to do. you will probably go straight for chassis/suspension mods after you make afew runs. and don't be discouraged if you run mid to low 14's because if its your first time, you will probably not run all that fast. once you get your suspension dialed in and get a good set of drag radials, then go for some performance mods. i would suggest a cam and 1.6 rr's or if you really want 12's buy a nitrous kit. i am fairly new to drag racing and i have had a blast so far with just bolt ons. just dont beat yourself up if you dont lay down 13.0 flat your first time out. my 2 cents.
enjoy!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 AM

i just feel im going to be dissapointed, my gto ran a 13.4 and i was real dissapointed after putting some money into it, everyone i am talking to now is telling me high 13s, and i have an appointment tomarrow for a performance tune(which i am being told i can see 4/10th of a second off) starting to think thats an inaccurate number, but i have def heard good things, im trying to add all this up, so i have a general idea where ill be at the track. i know cold air intake isnt much, but i got on it tonight after installing, and i def saw a very nice improvement on the street, for the money i am pleased. could someone give me a little more insite on the tune before i go tomarrow afternoon, what i can expect to see and some views and opinions on it, id really appreciate it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM

i just feel im going to be dissapointed, my gto ran a 13.4 and i was real dissapointed after putting some money into it, everyone i am talking to now is telling me high 13s, and i have an appointment tomarrow for a performance tune(which i am being told i can see 4/10th of a second off) starting to think thats an inaccurate number, but i have def heard good things, im trying to add all this up, so i have a general idea where ill be at the track. i know cold air intake isnt much, but i got on it tonight after installing, and i def saw a very nice improvement on the street, for the money i am pleased. could someone give me a little more insite on the tune before i go tomarrow afternoon, what i can expect to see and some views and opinions on it, id really appreciate it.
This is your problem. There is NO way to just "add everything up" and magically result in what you're going to run. There are so many different things that can take part in how you run. Do yourself a favor and set the bar low, say, 13.9. You can't expect to just go out and run 12.90s on your first pass to the strip. Take it from the guys on this forum that there is a WORLD of difference between 14.0s and 13.0s. Most of your logic is only speculation.

Don't get disappointed. Just go out, run what you run, learn from it, and continue. But IMO, you won't see 12s your first outing.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Got the tune today, was very impressed, shifts & idles smoother and accelarates much better, i asked the gentlemen who tuned it what i could expect to see, and he said with sticky tires high 12s, so i guess we'll have to see what happens, i would assume he knows what hes talking about.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:36 PM

good luck and let us know what you run!

Quick Reply: modification questions/advice