LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Modified Idle Idle Air Bleed Hole Diameter??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
Thanks for that additional info, Joe. I had no idea those idle holes were accessible after removing the Allen head plugs.

Next time I have his intake off - or mine for that matter - I plan to do as you suggested.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
I don't suggest you mess with those. Again, as I have stated, I have perfect BLM's and have not done anything with those holes. 58MM TB with big cam included. The key is allowing ALL idle air ONLY through the idle plenum. Most people crack the blades to compensate and this throws the whole idle air issue way off and hence their problem with BLM's.

Ben
Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Yea, to each his own......I will say though, IMO, One or two engine combos does not really make much of a case study though......I (as well as others like Lyoyd Elliott, and others that specialize in LTX engine combos) have been doing that for years and years on countless engine combo's, some the likes of which I've built that "needed" just about "every" trick in the book to achieve a nice idle & good driveability characteristics (Good BLM's & IAC counts) out of SUPER narrow LSA cammed engines(Some not much over 100 LSA, & Behind the "more finicky to get perfect" Automatic trans cars).......Evening out the IAC distribution holes is simply just that....GM just did not spend the time to get them perfect, Many have burrs, and MANY of the LT1/LT4 intake manifolds vary greatly between one another(this is where problems "can" come in)......For argument sake: There are also plenty of guys out there that just slap an aftermarket throttle body on their particular set-up and they swear that they have no split BLM's and no undesirable idle and driveability characteristics compared to their previous factory TB (I say, good for them), but when you build enough engines, you realise what tends to make things work the best for ALL of the different set-ups (IE: consistency)...............Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 07-17-2009 at 12:30 PM.