LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

More Issues ~ Low RPM Miss

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by one eyed *****
did you try the ICM mode by spacing the ICM off the head to keep it from getting too hot?heard this cuases missing when the car gets hot.with the icm being right on the head.
Did it both ways. I also used his ICM and accel coil, but that didn't change anything either.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Alright, New Update!!!

Ordered a new opti since that was the only thing that was left to replace that could be casuing a missfire. I got it all tore apart today and the bearings in the old opti are completely shot so I'm hoping thats what the problem was, but I have to wait a few more hours until the cars back together to find out for sure. I already tore apart my new opti to locktite the rotor screws and clean the oily residue off of the opti wheel.

But wish me luck, if this doesn't work I'm completely out of ideas
Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 PM

Well as the old saying goes you always check the simple things first it turns out that 2 of my plug wires (#5 & #6) were burned in half inside the heat sleeves so I didn't see it in the first place and those 2 cylinders weren't firing at all. But all of this was discovered after the opti install, but the bearings in my opti were bad so it wasn't a pointless install.

So now I have new plugs and plug wires rerouted without using the useless sleeves and they are no where near touching the headers and the car runs awesome so far it was completely worth the wait. I keep getting compliments about how the car sounds, even people I don't know coming up and telling me how badass it sounds
Old 07-12-2007, 11:47 PM

So were the sleeves touching the primaries before? If so that just won't work. Doesn't matter who told you it would it just won't. It only prolongs the inevitable. I'm completely against sleeves because it just clogs up the already cramped space even more than it needs to be.
Congrats on finding the problem. I was going to suggest it could be coolant pressurizing and leaking out the weephole onto the opti causing the car to run like crap when warmed up.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
So were the sleeves touching the primaries before? If so that just won't work. Doesn't matter who told you it would it just won't. It only prolongs the inevitable. I'm completely against sleeves because it just clogs up the already cramped space even more than it needs to be.
Congrats on finding the problem. I was going to suggest it could be coolant pressurizing and leaking out the weephole onto the opti causing the car to run like crap when warmed up.
Yeah, whoever told me to use sleeve is a moron, but I can't remember who and I listened to him so....... But its alright now, no more sleeves and my plug wires are out of harms way. And no coolant is leaking anywhere at all, so I'm good there
Old 08-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by turnin20s
Well as the old saying goes you always check the simple things first it turns out that 2 of my plug wires (#5 & #6) were burned in half inside the heat sleeves so I didn't see it in the first place and those 2 cylinders weren't firing at all. But all of this was discovered after the opti install, but the bearings in my opti were bad so it wasn't a pointless install.

So now I have new plugs and plug wires rerouted without using the useless sleeves and they are no where near touching the headers and the car runs awesome so far it was completely worth the wait. I keep getting compliments about how the car sounds, even people I don't know coming up and telling me how badass it sounds
Congratulations. (I don't get to the web much.) This is why I said
Except for what you said about it running fine until it warms up, it sounds like it could be a miss. I know you said you checked your plug wires but I would check them again. Actually take each one off and feel for hard spots and look for white spots if you haven't already. I have cost myself a whole lot of time and trouble before with my 94 doing lots of uneccessary work because I didn't check the wires thoroughly enough in the beginning and ruled them out.
My situation was identical; same cylinders, burned through the heat boots that were touching the primaries so I couldn't see the burns. I didn't go to the trouble to take the wires all the way off to check them to begin with, so I did a lot of thinking and working that didn't need to be done for over a month stressing, wondering what was wrong with my car. When a couple people asked me if I checked the plug wires I said "yea." duh huh huh. I sort of checked them but not nearly well enough. Now we know better. Again, congratulations, determination has paid off.