LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

more problems: oil pressure and rockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
nes

more problems: oil pressure and rockers

ok so with the car in my sig

the car makes a ticking noise, like metal hitting metal at all times, i hear it coming from the valve train, when i pulled the valve cover off last night, i loosend and tightend the rocker arm bolts(drivers side) and it didnt seem to change the sound but made it bog at take off. the night i bought the car, the oil pressure was all over the place(according to the gauge) now it reads nothing, doesnt change at all, nadda. and to top it all off the car spilt all of its coolant all over the place,so i added water to get it to the parts store, so i see steam coming from the engine bay, i go ahead and get the orange coolant, add appropriately and the crap doesnt even hit a boiling point, but when i shut the car off i saw nothing but smoke comming from the motor.

any help here to diagnose my issues, iam gunna rent a pressure tester today from autozone i think for the cooling system.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Did you happen to knock the wire offThe oil sender?.Its on the rear drivers side behind the intake.You need to search on how to adjust rockers.I am sure Shoebox has it on his tech page.The leak you will have to look for.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:54 PM
nes

i did the rockers the way shoebox suggested with the car running. i didnt touch a wire for the oil sender,it just stopped working after my car spit out all of its coolant and the *** n go...
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Get thyself and your ride to a reputable shop or dealer for diagnosis. Do not drive it. I assume that when you adjusted the valve train that you adjusted it correctly???

At any rate when you have no oil pressure it is not a good sign and it may be too late, so at any rate do not start that engine again. If your lucky it may not be too serious. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:58 PM
nes

do u think its a spun rod bearing? there was no metal shavings in the oil, but all i know is the oil pressure gauge stopped working, doesnt move at all, in fact it sits below the red line...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
nes

o0o and the car also has an exhaust leak from the manifold to the head...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 PM

With a spun bearing you are likely going to hear more than just a ticking noise along with no oil pressure, but until you can determine if it is not something serious, don't run it until you are sure. The cost to get towed to a shop for diagnosis is a small price to pay compared to a rebuild.JMHO

Keep us informed---it is only through follow-up information that we can validate the intent and ensure the quality of this wonderful site.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:46 PM
nes

ill keep you guys informed, its just a ticking noise though, im gunna replace the sending unit this weekend before i have it towed though, its only like 5 bucks i would imagine...
Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
nes

thanks for ur help/Advice bubba
Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 PM

If you adjusted the rockers with the motor running then you must know if oil was coming out of the rockers. If oil was getting to the rockers then you have oil pressure.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:27 PM

pressure test the cooling system, you may have a blown head gasket and running it like that will get coolant in the oil, which eats the bearing and causes no oil pressure
Old 01-04-2008, 10:41 PM
nes

oil must not be getting to the rockers, no oil came out when adjusting them(it was 3 am, i wasnt paying to close attention), that would cause the tapping am i correct? and my check gauges light is on...??

Last edited by nes; 01-04-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:00 PM

Oil should definately be visible and squirting from your rocker with your engine running. Did you check your dipstick? Is there oil? Is it milky brown?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 PM
nes

oil looks brand new, royal purple.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:17 AM

No oil to the rockers and no oil pressure on the guage means it's time to pull the pan. Your coolant problem could be due to the fact you have no oil pressure so there is nothing being oiled causes friction causing the motor to over heat and die as in rebuild time.

Quick Reply: more problems: oil pressure and rockers