LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

motor out the bottom and back in...almost

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 AM

motor out the bottom and back in...almost

Well I started this project a while back and finally now schedule wise it's starting to come together. Posting up some pics as I was looking for some similar pics myself from others, (e.g. taking the engine out the bottom, header clerance, OTV routing, cam size, heads,etc etc, etc...) so I thought I would give back a little to everyone that has helped along the way... I still have a ways to go, but it's finally coming together...

Having an I-Beam across my garage really helps...Got this stuff from harbor freight. THis is how I raised the car and dropped the motor trans out together. This made it as easy as pie and very effortless on our part. the yellow band you'll see below is a tow cable we used. I wouldn't get under it at any point in time, but it works (just wouldn't bet my health on it) so I had a jack under and the hoist from above to keep it all under control.

It's always been a fun car for me, so I've been collecting/buying parts since probably 2003 to try to bring it back to life a bit and have it be more fun. After amassing all the stuff I wanted, I finally took the engine out last spring and now going back in as a redone 355 which I bought the shortblock used and the heads used. One thing i made sure early on was searching on here to see what worked together and what didn't. I didn't catch everything though...aftermarket parts don't always go together...I only found out I had a problem after it happened to me, but sure enough it was on the forum already... I was searching the wrong forum at first and didn't find it so I searched on here and found out it was actually a problem... that is the AS&M headers with BMR K-member. Since I bought the kmember when they first came out, and bought the AS&M's used and random Y, i figured no issues. The biggest issue is near the motor mount on the driver's side. 100%interference... you can see pics here...

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=649549

So I went with the LPP headers after this fiasco and they look really nice compared to the AS&Ms. One thing in reading on this forum over the years, there is always talk on here about plug access and these LPP's look pretty good so far (outside the car anyway) You can see my pics here about mid page down of the LPP's. I took some clearance shots so that it's easy to see what is clearing and what is not for others like me who are searching and wondering what will fit and what won't.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt...ders-y-63.html

This is basically how I took the motor out and how it's going back in. The first time out I left the full suspension and wheels on so I rolled it out on the front wheels, this time it's going back in without all the suspension and steering... In the pic engine/trans are sitting on a regular furniture dolly from menards with a 2x6 and 2 oak stair treads lengthwise across it to support engine and trans.

I tried rotating these pics so that you wouldn't have to tilt your head to the right, but for whatever reason, imageshack isn't saving the change...

We'll see how well it goes in tomorrow...

Last edited by merim123; 07-27-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 AM

When my folks built their home back in 1972, he had them put an I beam in across the garage for this exact thing.