LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Motor rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 07:35 PM

Motor rebuild questions

Hello I am new to the site and am new with the f-bodys. I need to know what it will cost to rebuild an engine. The engine currently is set up for a blower. It has 9:1 compression I am told. It has a eagle forged crank and eagle forged 5.7" rods. The pistons are dished forged aluminum. I need to know what it is going to cost to have the bottom end pulled apart balanced and reassmbled with new forged pistons. Also what else should be done will the engine is apart.

Thanks
Ben
Old 01-30-2005, 08:12 PM

Re: Motor rebuild questions

What is wrong with the bottom end, looks like you already have a complete forged bottom end except for those pistons. How many PSI do you plan on running, is it a daily driver? I know someone in particular with a stock bottom end lt1 running 4 or 6 psi of boost through a charger and its a daily driver with no problems. What are you plans for the car (numbers, drivablity, etc..)
Old 01-30-2005, 08:14 PM

a number of things come to mind. Are you going to do the work your self, i.e pull the engine out of the car, re install, tear the motor down? How many miles are on it? Do you trust what was told to you about compression and the condition of the engine. You could inspect. I would replace bearings and rings for sure. balancing the bottom end should run around 250 or so I paid for my 383. You most likely will want to mill the heads if they aren't flat. There are a number of possibilities. Just depends on how far YOU want to go
Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 AM

The pistons are forged as well. I am looking at a rebuild because the car no longer has the blower on it. It also has a vibration that I was told is because the engine is out of balance. That is why I was looking at a rebuild. So if I need to rebuild I would just put a set of forged pistons in and run N/A. I will have to look into it a little more and see what the problem is truely. I just wanted to get a idea of what it would run. If the motor is ok what would it cost to set up a used blower on the car to run 10psi of boost.

Thanks
Ben
Old 01-31-2005, 04:46 PM

10 lbs of boost is quite a bit, There are other parts to consider then. Is your fuel system up to the task. What type of super charger was used before? You could stick to the FMU that come with most or you do an injector change and upgrade the fuel pump. You'll need custom tuning for the charger. Check your cam when your in the engine. What grind do you have? Was it stock and did someone add the SC later or does it have a blower grind?
There are a lot of variables here. If you did find a used charger, will the head unit have to be rebuilt? Assuming you do find a complete kit, will you install it? I wish there was a straight answer for you but you need to decide how much you are going to do and are you going to do supporting mods to it. To but some decent forged slugs , I would say around $400-$500. Give or take some. SRP makes some decent pistons at an affordable price. To balance $150-$250. My 383 was almost 300. I need some Mallory(heavy metal) and that stuff is worth more than gold almost. I freaked out when I first heard how much it cost. $300 to assemble motor. $200 new bearings and rings. There are all the "little" items also that you don't see. Misc, hardware, gaskets, etc. It adds up, so keep an eye on it. You'll most likely need to have the crank and rods magnafluxed for cracks. Figure $100 or so. Maybe even clean the block and check it also. You've torn it apart that far, might as well to be on the safe side. Again depends on how far you want top go.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:50 PM

Getting mine rebuilt right now. It should probably be in the neighborhood of $1500 depending on what quality of pistons, ring, bearings, etc. I'm using Ross Ludacris Light pistons with low tension rings and expensive bearings.