LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MSD cap and rotor kit...DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 09:27 PM

Re: MSD cap and rotor kit...DEAD!

I will!

TO quench ALL the if's I am going to see if they want to test the ENTIRE system. We are talking from where the first igniton wires plug into the harness to the spark plugs and all point in between

Should answer every question and help make the kit better
Old 06-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Hmmm. . . subscribing.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:13 AM

Ditto... I want to see the verdict of this MSD product!

-B
Old 06-07-2006, 11:58 AM

any updates on this thread yet? Also, is this the full MSD optispark unit or is it only the MSD cap and rotor?
I just picked up a MSD optispark but have not yet installed it.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
That sucks. Looks like I'll be doing LTCC or Delteq as well then.
I thought the MSD would be no better than stock. I think it's best to keep the high voltage out. That's why I bought a Delteq.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:12 PM

I had a few calls from MSD today. They are all over the issue. I sent them some more pics today of the burn marks of the opti wheel where the rotor burned through.

MSD has been great so far. I bought a bunch of MSD stuff to replace all the MSD stuff I am pulling out. Only thing not MSD at the moment is the Coils. From What I under stand finding out what caused this problem is a top priority in El Paso right now
Old 06-07-2006, 09:08 PM

Maybe they'll hook you up with a free MSD opti
Old 06-13-2006, 08:20 PM

MSD has found the problem! It seems to be issolated to the rotor(and only my rotor) and the way it Cured. They have taken steps to make sure no further problems come to light and this does not happen again.

I will be the first to say I was pretty damn pissed when the failure happened. MSD has gone out of there way to make sure they have taken care of this and ANY future problems.

I have used many MSD products in the past and bought many new MSD parts (FULL DIS-4 Plus system) to replace what I was removing this time.

Besides being broke down and being pushed on a trailer by the people at the FORD dealer and missing three races now things went very well and MSD did every thing they could to make the event painless as possible.

We are going to install the Same system I took off the car on the second Shop car just to make sure :drive:
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by OneFlyn95z28
MSD has found the problem! It seems to be issolated to the rotor(and only my rotor) and the way it Cured. They have taken steps to make sure no further problems come to light and this does not happen again.

I will be the first to say I was pretty damn pissed when the failure happened. MSD has gone out of there way to make sure they have taken care of this and ANY future problems.

I have used many MSD products in the past and bought many new MSD parts (FULL DIS-4 Plus system) to replace what I was removing this time.

Besides being broke down and being pushed on a trailer by the people at the FORD dealer and missing three races now things went very well and MSD did every thing they could to make the event painless as possible.

We are going to install the Same system I took off the car on the second Shop car just to make sure :drive:
OK Ellis, thanks for the update and the vote of confidence that everybody elses MSD parts are OK, but how exactly do they know that it was only YOUR lonely rotor that was defectively cured. Don't they make these things in batches?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:41 PM

I wonder if there is anything people could look for to tell them they might have a rotor from a bad batch?
Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by OneFlyn95z28
Okay, so I'm curious to know how they were able to come to this conclusion by just looking at pics of your rotor? Seems that in order to determine it was a "curing" issue, one would have to have the rotor in their possession to run some tests on it?

Did they actually tell you the steps they're taking to make sure the problem doesn't happen again or just say they're taking them?

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
how exactly do they know that it was only YOUR lonely rotor that was defectively cured. Don't they make these things in batches?
My thoughts exactly. The part of this story that makes it sound a little fishy is that if the people who did the investigation were able to come to the conclusion that the rotor wasn't fully cured by simply looking at pics of it, then the Quality Control guy on the assembly line where these were made should've been able to do the same thing. But then that begs the question: if their QC guy should've been able to spot an uncured rotor, and he's doing things on the fly on an assembly line, then why did it take these "investigators" a week to come to the same conclusion that the QC guy should've been able to in 30 seconds?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:55 AM

subbing....but knowing Ellis and MSD, I am pretty sure they recieved the parts along with the pix. If they did not recieve the actual broke part I just lost ALL confidence in MSD.

And YOURS is the only one that didnt cure, doubt that, they dont make one at a time, so that whole batch should be reviewed, that could not be more than 10 or so the way these units went out.....
Old 06-14-2006, 11:17 AM

subscribing...
Old 06-14-2006, 11:23 AM

I would assume that the parts went back to MSD. I agree that the "only your rotor" sounds iffy, but who knows. Maybe he got one of the pre mass production peices.

Another thing, somewhat off topic. Everyone treats and expects MSD to act like a large corporation. In reality, they are a very small business and some of the customer service we are seeing here shows that :thumbsup:
Old 06-14-2006, 11:41 AM

I have always really like there products and will always use MSD stuff I know there is stuff out there that is cheapier and does the same thing but I like knowing if I ever have a problem they will help

Quick Reply: MSD cap and rotor kit...DEAD!