LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

MSD cap and rotor kit...DEAD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 11:51 AM

Re: MSD cap and rotor kit...DEAD!

What gave me the impression that the investigation was being done to pics and not the part itself was this:

06-07-2006 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by OneFlyn95z28
I had a few calls from MSD today. They are all over the issue. I sent them some more pics today
...finding out what caused this problem is a top priority in El Paso right now
That was last Wednesday. From the way that post was worded, it sounded like they were already on the case. If he was intending to send them the part, I don't see what would be the point in sending more pics.

I could be way off base though. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 AM

ACTUALLY the parts WERE sent straight to MSD. They were then disected at a Microscopic level and Changes to the Line were made. I will recieve one of the first next week.

As mentioned before I AM pushing the Opti to the extreme with the system I was running. The 6T I am running is Circa 89 NASCAR style. I know it is a hot box..always has been. Laid me out more then once back when I was running Comp 9000s.

You guy think you are worried? I have installed six of these on Customer cars. We will see how it goes. So Far this is the only failure of this type reported at this time and over 4,000 units have been sold.... Will this be the only one? I can not tell you. Time will tell

Like I said MSD has been great about the whole affair. Much better then any Manufacture I have ever delt with in the past! Usually you get some lame excuse(A cam company comes to mind) and blown off with nothing to show.

Oh yeah...

I sent more pics because they did not get the opti....and it had a hole burned in the Window wheel...I sent them pics of the burn marks....try again

Last edited by OneFlyn95z28; 06-15-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:03 AM

I sent more pics because they did not get the opti....and it had a hole burned in the Window wheel...I sent them pics of the burn marks....try again
Try again? Try what again? Asking for clarification on a problem that could potentially affect alot of people's engines? I'll try any day of the week.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 AM

OK, what was sent to MSD and what did they look at?

You say the parts were sent to MSD and they looked at them and then you sent more pix b/c they did not get the opti and you sent them burn mark pix.

Please clarify what was sent. I assume you sent the MSD Opti ($500 billet unit) and the MSD Box, and possibly the wire set,plugs, and coil that were used in this case b/c you said there were testing it from the very beginning to the end of the system.

ACTUALLY the parts WERE sent straight to MSD. They were then disected at a Microscopic level and Changes to the Line were made.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
OK, what was sent to MSD and what did they look at?

You say the parts were sent to MSD and they looked at them and then you sent more pix b/c they did not get the opti and you sent them burn mark pix.

Please clarify what was sent. I assume you sent the MSD Opti ($500 billet unit) and the MSD Box, and possibly the wire set,plugs, and coil that were used in this case b/c you said there were testing it from the very beginning to the end of the system.

Shon.

The MSD Opti was not available when this (and other) cap and rotor kit was purchased. All MSD wanted was the CAP AND ROTOR. So I sent them the cap and rotor. WHILE in transit I sent them pictures of the Opti it self. The OPTI it self had burn marks on it. That is what the second set of pictures were of.

I offered to send the entire system but MSD said they did not need it for there testing. So it is all going on the other Shop car for more testing Low 10 second pass's at 3,850Lbs after the 100mile trip to the track and a few more month's and I should know more on the new parts.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 AM

AH!!
I was confused (not a suprise really). I thought this was about the billet Opti MSD released but as the title states ( ) Cap and Rotor, NOT the billet opti.
Thanks for helping me clear this up.
But did you press them on the curing issue only being YOUR problem? That just seems a bit strange.

Please follow up how the 'new' cap and rotor perform initially and long term.

Sorry for the confusion.
Shon.

The MSD Opti was not available when this (and other) cap and rotor kit was purchased. All MSD wanted was the CAP AND ROTOR. So I sent them the cap and rotor. WHILE in transit I sent them pictures of the Opti it self. The OPTI it self had burn marks on it. That is what the second set of pictures were of.

I offered to send the entire system but MSD said they did not need it for there testing. So it is all going on the other Shop car for more testing Low 10 second pass's at 3,850Lbs after the 100mile trip to the track and a few more month's and I should know more on the new parts.

I will keep you guys updated.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:55 PM

NP Shon

I had a Nice talk with the VP of sales/Internet sales today. They are really Comited to making a good prduct. he was explaining the way the cars are actually made with goo copper wire and not aluminum over lays and many of the other things they did to make the Opti better.

I should have pics of the Updated stuff next week
Old 06-16-2006, 10:03 AM

NP Shon

I had a Nice talk with the VP of sales/Internet sales today. They are really Comited to making a good prduct. he was explaining the way the cars are actually made with goo copper wire and not aluminum over lays and many of the other things they did to make the Opti better.

I should have pics of the Updated stuff next week
Sounds good, keep us posted.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM

I need to keep track of this
Just put on a MSD Cap & Roter??
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Any feedback yet from MSD, Ellis? Its been a month
Old 07-19-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Any feedback yet from MSD, Ellis? Its been a month
Old 07-20-2006, 10:43 PM

I just installed their cap and rotor in my car with 67,000 on the stock opti and the car has had atrating issues from day one, and tonight it went all wacko on the dyno missing all over. I'll be pulling it tonight and will post later what i find, i will be bringing the cap and rotoe to the MSD reps at Car craft here in the cities this weekend so they can check it out too. Funny thing is i have never had an opti issue at all just thought well 67,000 miles it's time. lol Anyways we have an new MSD opti distributor at work so i will be throwing that in tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Sorry guys. I have been SLAMMED busy

They found the problem and have changed the way the manufacture they rotor. They felt it was an Isolated Issue but made changes to make sure it would not happen in the future.

I have three sets of MSD caps and Rotors to install on test cars. One of them is my Wifes 150K mile DD. The other is the second shop car a 6.6L LT4 A4. Had both wheels hanging last time at the track. We will be installing this set when we get the new cam kit from Bret.

As far as my car? We got the car all back together and the Opti got killed. Starts up and run's then intermitantly starts to loose spark.Just got a new Delteq box to try and a New MSD Opti is on the way soon. I am waiting for them to come off the assembly line just like every one else

Trust me I am DIEING to get the car out! I have dropped from third in points to no chance in hell of placing this season over this

Last edited by OneFlyn95z28; 07-21-2006 at 03:35 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 AM

Well we had the car out playing with the new cap and rotor with the old MSD 6T box with a 7200 Chip and 200 shot

She runs GOOD!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 AM

Well that's good news Ellis!!! So far my cap & rotor has been trouble free for 1200 miles, but haven't been racing yet on the new engine.