LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

msd distributor

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 PM

Re: msd distributor

Originally Posted by JasonK94Z
Yeah really guys, whats so bad about the opti? If you have an electric water pump, then you no longer have the threat of the factory water pump leaking all over it. My opti has lasted 84,000 miles now. I replaced it last week since my water pump has been leaking for a few months now. I was surprised how good of shape the old opti was in still when iI took it apart. New opti, and electrip wp, I'm all set for a long time now.
I think the reason most go bad so quickly is because of cam dowel pins being too long and ruining them.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Honda Hunter
Search after search, board after board I still cant get enough info to gather what's best between the delteq and the dynaspark. Why are you going Dynaspark?
As silly as it sounds, I want to keep the factory style ignition system, hence I want the Dynaspark. After talking to a couple of people and receiving a positive feedback about the product, I think it is safe to say I made up my mind.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:40 AM

You can buy almost 3 new GM optis for the price of a Dynaspark. I don't deny it being a better put together unit, just don't seeing it being such a great bang for the buck. If it was cheaper, it would be more enticing.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:46 PM

My opti has 106,000 mi. and it is still going strong. Like what was said before when people go through 3 or 4 optis it's usually right after a cam swap and go ou because of the dowel pin length. You just have to keep coolant and other liquids away from it and it will perform just fine.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: msd distributor

Originally Posted by shoebox
You can buy almost 3 new GM optis for the price of a Dynaspark. I don't deny it being a better put together unit, just don't seeing it being such a great bang for the buck. If it was cheaper, it would be more enticing.
But you won't have to replace the DynaSpark 3 times. It's not only put together better... it uses better parts. I have one on my car. I needed a piece of mind that this will last and I won't have a high rpm break up.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:46 PM

The only real bad design flaw of the opti that makes it tough to live with is the rotor. They just kind of melt a little tab that holds the metal conductor on the rotor. My buddy had a new opti on his car only about 10k old and he was getting on it and the rotor just came apart.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:10 PM

Most opti bashing is the result of ignorance, not a perfect piece but much better than it's reputation. Even the reports of it's sensitivity to water and coolant are grossly overstated. As a distributor is has a cap and rotor that will wear, since they are more expensive and difficult to replace routinely like most people would say an HEI cap they are left to fail often past 100K and people sream and cry about how bad it is. But wait stop a second and think would you leave a cap and rotor on any other distributor that long, and if you did would you blame the eventual wearing out an failure on poor design? A reasonable intelligent person would not since with the arcing going on inside a distributor there will be wear just like sparkplugs. I find it amazing and frustrating how people will spend hundreds of dollars and more to try to "fix" something not broken and put blind faith in aftermarket stuff being better even when completely untested. The MSD will have to be out IN QUANTITY for several years before any sort of intelligent statements as to it's superiority or inferiority to the stocker. Once it is released sure go ahead and use one if your opti needs a new cap and rotor, it will be just a few dollars more and add a splash of color underhood but do not tout the superiority of it till you have pushed it past where your stocker died.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Most opti bashing is the result of ignorance, not a perfect piece but much better than it's reputation. Even the reports of it's sensitivity to water and coolant are grossly overstated. As a distributor is has a cap and rotor that will wear, since they are more expensive and difficult to replace routinely like most people would say an HEI cap they are left to fail often past 100K and people sream and cry about how bad it is. But wait stop a second and think would you leave a cap and rotor on any other distributor that long, and if you did would you blame the eventual wearing out an failure on poor design? A reasonable intelligent person would not since with the arcing going on inside a distributor there will be wear just like sparkplugs. I find it amazing and frustrating how people will spend hundreds of dollars and more to try to "fix" something not broken and put blind faith in aftermarket stuff being better even when completely untested. The MSD will have to be out IN QUANTITY for several years before any sort of intelligent statements as to it's superiority or inferiority to the stocker. Once it is released sure go ahead and use one if your opti needs a new cap and rotor, it will be just a few dollars more and add a splash of color underhood but do not tout the superiority of it till you have pushed it past where your stocker died.
Very well put and I completly agree with you 100%. I had an oil leak on the timing chain cover that completly covered my opti with oil. The opti is still going. I'm in the middle of a cam swap so I took the opti off to inspect it. When I pulled it apart all I found was wear. i wasn't suprised seeing how it has 105k miles on it. I ordered a new cap and rotor for it today. I would have tried the msd cap and rotor if it was available. I read on jegs today that it will be available on sept 30 but i'm sure they will be so back ordered it would be much later before i could get one. Its not worth the wait to me.