LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My Camaro Z28 has been a nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:03 AM

How curious that 3 faults use the same fuse!??

First of all you have 4 fault codes and 3 of the 4 circuits involved with those faults are all on the same fuse. Under hood 10Amp fuse number 11. Chances are good there is a bad connection at or near that fuse. Check it.

The other DTC number 100 for the MAF just so happens to be on the very next fuse. U/H 20amp fuse number 10.

Both fuses supply power through connectors. Connector C100 for the 3 faults and connector C105 for the MAF fault. Both are pink wires. Check the connections also. C100 is the 10 pin connector and C105 is the 8 pin connector located right near the PCM.

Even if those circuits prove good and the car runs good, monitor the voltage on those circuits to see if the voltage is dropping out intermittently.

Last edited by Guest47904; 09-19-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
First of all you have 4 fault codes and 3 of the 4 circuits involved with those faults are all on the same fuse. Under hood 10Amp fuse number 11. Chances are good there is a bad connection at or near that fuse. Check it.

The other DTC number 100 for the MAF just so happens to be on the very next fuse. U/H 20amp fuse number 10.

Both fuses supply power through connectors. Connector C100 for the 3 faults and connector C105 for the MAF fault. Both are pink wires. Check the connections also. C100 is the 10 pin connector and C105 is the 8 pin connector located right near the PCM.

Even if those circuits prove good and the car runs good, monitor the voltage on those circuits to see if the voltage is dropping out intermittently.
I did reprair a hard almost melted looking "pink" wire near the pcm. I will check the wires going into the fuse box. Also, i forgot to mention that yesterday the Ingition fuse blew in the relay box. Maybe we're on to something here?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by fiveohcrazy
I did reprair a hard almost melted looking "pink" wire near the pcm. I will check the wires going into the fuse box. Also, i forgot to mention that yesterday the Ingition fuse blew in the relay box. Maybe we're on to something here?
When you leave out important info, you aren't helping yourself. You can't chase electrical problems by guessing.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:12 AM

well, didn't find any bad wires. I'm now hitching a ride to Milan Dragway today since i can't drive my car....lol I'll be "guessing" some more tomorrow with buying a new ignition control module, coil and fuel pressure regulator since i found it to be faulty.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm Late for the No Et race @ Milan dragway cuz i thought i could fix the camaro.....fat chance. Put a new coil and ignition module and its still doing the same thing. I guess i'm gonna pull the new opti off and check it??? Anyone?? Shoebox what do ya think?
Old 09-19-2009, 09:49 PM

It could be the opti with all of what your explaining happening, sounds just like my friends. If you get an opti from ebay I would only advise the one's from thepartsladi. I'm not very good with the electical stuff so that's about all I can tell you.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Well i decieded to drive the camaro anyways......bad choice. Never made it to the Drag strip and spent most of my night on the side of the expressway.
Car was running great....stopped at a rest area to ****, came back out started it up.....started getting on it a little to merge back on the expressway....then it completely shut off. I had to let it sit for an hour and a half before it would run. I drove it super mellow almost all the way back home...then i stopped a couple driveways down and punched it hard.....it completely fell on its face and died....right now its sitting out in the driveway dead. gonna put a fuel pressure gage on it while its dead and see what i come up with.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Question I know it's around here somewhere

check engine light is intermitant as well.

Had it scanned at Advanced Auto

I'm getting codes P0100, P0372, P1361, P1371
when it acts up the tachometer drops to zero and sometimes stays on zero while its running fine.
**UPDATE** I checked the fuel pressure.... 45 psi when i turn the key forward..then it quickly beeds down to zero.... With the car running @ idle its got 37 psi and i noticed it to drop a few psi when i rev it up to around 3,000rpm. Isn't there a problem there? I thought it was supposed to have constant pressure around 45-47psi?
Originally Posted by speedygonzales

And now this brain storm:
gonna put a fuel pressure gage on it while its dead and see what i come up with.
Everything you have said or presented to us points to an electrical problem but you want to check fuel pressure AGAIN for the second time.

Reminds me of a guy looking for something he dropped under a lone street light. When asked where he dropped it he replied " way over there". "So why are you looking here"? To which he replied, "cause the light is better over here".

Good luck in the future.

Last edited by Guest47904; 09-20-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Administrator

And to add to the fuel pressure question.... NO, the fuel pressure should not always be "constant pressure around 45-47psi". It should vary with intake manifold vacuum. That's why it has the vacuum compensation line attached to the fuel pressure regulator - to vary the fuel rail presssure, so the the DIFFERENTIAL pressure between the rails and the intake manifold is always 43.5psi. A 37psi idle fuel pressure is totally normal.

You've blown off Speedy's suggestions, mocked Shoebox for his comments about "guessing".... how do you expect to get help with that attitude? You've probably pissed off two of the most knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Good luck.... you're going to need it.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:12 PM

One thing you might want to check. The opti has vent lines on it. Engine vacuum is used to pull ignition gases out of the opti and replace it with fresh air. If the opti lines are clogged up or not installed at all, the opti will fail rapidly due to contaimination build-up. The high voltage section will cross-fire and the optical portion (low voltage section) will overheat.

It's been my experience that when the tach drops to zero but the engine is still running, the
opti is failing.

Last edited by joe-96z1le; 09-20-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe-96z1le
One thing you might want to check. The opti has vent lines on it. Engine vacuum is used to pull ignition gases out of the opti and replace it with fresh air. If the opti lines are clogged up or not installed at all, the opti will fail rapidly due to contaimination build-up. The high voltage section will cross-fire and the optical portion (low voltage section) will overheat.

It's been my experience that when the tach drops to zero but the engine is still running, the
opti is failing.
Yes, my Opti had the vents BLOCKED off when I got it and the Opti got moisture in it and quit. Get a new OPTI and and things will be fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
And to add to the fuel pressure question.... NO, the fuel pressure should not always be "constant pressure around 45-47psi". It should vary with intake manifold vacuum. That's why it has the vacuum compensation line attached to the fuel pressure regulator - to vary the fuel rail presssure, so the the DIFFERENTIAL pressure between the rails and the intake manifold is always 43.5psi. A 37psi idle fuel pressure is totally normal.

You've blown off Speedy's suggestions, mocked Shoebox for his comments about "guessing".... how do you expect to get help with that attitude? You've probably pissed off two of the most knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Good luck.... you're going to need it.
Whatever man. I didn't do anything wrong but spend my OWN money on these "guesses". I ended up finding out what the problem was on my own. THE FUEL PUMP.
CAR IS GONE NOW>>>TRADED IT FOR A REAL CAR........A Mustang. TAKE CARE CHEVY LOVERS.......i'm out.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM

Sounds like a bad Opti; I don't suggest buying one off ebay. I'd get one from a GM dealer (there are guys on here who work at dealers who will supply them fairly cheap).

Also, what wires did you use? A lot of times due to the tight spacing the wires end up getting burnt and then start arcing to the exhaust manifolds.

As for the fuel pressure, you will see some drop off as the RPMs go up, but how low is it dropping? if it's only a couple PSI then that's normal, if it's dropping to under 30, then you could have an issue.

I'd say 90% of your issues are coming from the Opti. The cheap ones typically don't last that long, and if you're not careful and get them wet when you're purging the air out of the cooling system you can kill them pretty quickly.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:45 PM

Whatever man. I didn't do anything wrong but spend my OWN money on these "guesses". I ended up finding out what the problem was on my own. THE FUEL PUMP.
CAR IS GONE NOW>>>TRADED IT FOR A REAL CAR........A Mustang. TAKE CARE CHEVY LOVERS.......i'm out.
you must go through allot of vehicles buying a new one each time somin simple like a fuel pump dies. have fun w/ those fords, can't believe it took you a few months to figure out you had a bad fuel pump
Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Appears to have been a troll, wasting our time.

Closed