LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My new engine is overheating. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 09:18 AM

Re: My new engine is overheating. Help!

dude, i can have my car sitting in traffic for a day straight through the hottest of days in florida and never really get higher than ~190* (when my high speed fan is programmed to come on). btw- i use a meziere E-waterpump.

hmmm...if it were a t-stat problem, the car wouldnt cool at highway speeds. or if the pump was bad you wouldnt think that it would cool at highways speeds either. hows the condition of your radiator? did you check in between the condensor and the radiator to see if something is stuck in between there (make sure to remove the cover over the radiator to check). if your fans are working then i think i might consider getting the system pressure tested and flushed. make sure if you get the system flushed, only use distilled water in your system. worse case scenario, you might end up needing a new radiator (about $120 new).

get this problem resolved before you go sitting in traffic again though. no reason to risk blowing a head gasket and doing other damage from the high temps.

Last edited by slverbullet; 06-21-2005 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Luna
Sounds like the pump isn't working, thermostat is stuck or you have the pump spinning in reverse (change the polarity of the electrical leads)

I'm using the stock mechanical pump. It's new. the thermostat was replaced three times, and checked twice.

I'll try to presurize my radiator, and see what I get.

should I start my own thread??
Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluelt1z28
I have about 3000 miles on my new 383 supercharged engine and I installed a 160 thermostat and a csi electric water pump. The temp was normal until recently. When I am in stop and go traffic the temp rises up to the red mark, but when I get on the freeway or at higher speeds it drops slowly until I am at idle or in stop and go traffic then it rises again. At first I thought I had air in the system, so I bleed it, but it did'nt take care of it. Could my water pump be going out after 3000 miles? Could something else cause this? I also changed the thermostat.

With a blower the first thing to check is the head gasket's.Do a compression check with all the plugs out and see.
Don't keep changing things until ya eliminate the gaskets.

Last edited by 1racerdude; 06-22-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:07 PM

The radiator is brand new. The car was driving fine and this happened all of a sudden. I have a feeling my water pump is not pumping enough coolant thru the engine. When I remove the cap and have the car running, the coolant seems to flow with little pressure, when I think back, I remember the coolant flowed with more pressure. I need to check the voltage to my w/pump or maybe the w/pump motor is not turning as fast as it use to. I bought the CSI water pump from Summit 1 year and 3 months ago when I started building my engine, but my engine was finished 2 months ago, and the pump is now out of warranty even though I have used it for 2 months and 3000 miles. I am going to call CSI tommorow to see what they can help me with.

Originally Posted by slverbullet
dude, i can have my car sitting in traffic for a day straight through the hottest of days in florida and never really get higher than ~190* (when my high speed fan is programmed to come on). btw- i use a meziere E-waterpump.

hmmm...if it were a t-stat problem, the car wouldnt cool at highway speeds. or if the pump was bad you wouldnt think that it would cool at highways speeds either. hows the condition of your radiator? did you check in between the condensor and the radiator to see if something is stuck in between there (make sure to remove the cover over the radiator to check). if your fans are working then i think i might consider getting the system pressure tested and flushed. make sure if you get the system flushed, only use distilled water in your system. worse case scenario, you might end up needing a new radiator (about $120 new).

get this problem resolved before you go sitting in traffic again though. no reason to risk blowing a head gasket and doing other damage from the high temps.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xtremetrans
The radiator is brand new. The car was driving fine and this happened all of a sudden. I have a feeling my water pump is not pumping enough coolant thru the engine. When I remove the cap and have the car running, the coolant seems to flow with little pressure, when I think back, I remember the coolant flowed with more pressure. I need to check the voltage to my w/pump or maybe the w/pump motor is not turning as fast as it use to. I bought the CSI water pump from Summit 1 year and 3 months ago when I started building my engine, but my engine was finished 2 months ago, and the pump is now out of warranty even though I have used it for 2 months and 3000 miles. I am going to call CSI tommorow to see what they can help me with.

That's the way head gaskets do,all of a sudden. If nothing else warm your car up,take the belt off,Remove rad cap and fill it slam full of water,crank and see if it pukes any water out at idle or reved and goosing it a few times.If it does it;s got a gasket problem if not ya can move on to something else.
This is not a positive check ,so take it for what it's worth,but a good indicator.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xtremetrans

That's the way head gaskets do,all of a sudden. If nothing else warm your car up,take the belt off,Remove rad cap and fill it slam full of water,crank and see if it pukes any water out at idle or reved and goosing it a few times.If it does it;s got a gasket problem if not ya can move on to something else.
This is not a positive check ,so take it for what it's worth,but a good indicator to do or not to do further gasket checks(compression test with all plugs out and engine warm)