LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My newest free/inexpensive mods! Pictures...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 PM

I give the guy props for getting out and working on his car. Its not like the foil **** is unheard of, pick up your jegs or summit magazine. There is all kinds of products they sell to do the same thing as he did, for free. I dont know why you guys are being such dicks about it. No it probably didnt make much of a difference, in theory it does. I bet it makes more of a difference than installing euro tails. As for the sticker, give that back to guys who also stole the exhaust tips from the farm truck to put them on there camaro.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:39 PM

Your ideas are great. Just not researched thoroughly i believe. I personally think that the little "ram air scoop" on the bottom is a good idea, but 1 thing pulls me back from it, puddles. My life would be turned upside down without my car, and if i suck up water into the intake and totally ruin my motor, i think i would literally be sick. As for wrapping your intake in foil, bad idea. The air in there does not have that much time to absorb the heat from the intake kit/intake elbow. Just do a little research next time, ask the people on the boards questions. It would be like filling your basement with water to make an indoor swimming pool, and not having a drain down there to get the water out. Just do a little research next time, your thinking outside the box, and thats good.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 19z28camaro02
Your ideas are great. Just not researched thoroughly i believe. I personally think that the little "ram air scoop" on the bottom is a good idea, but 1 thing pulls me back from it, puddles. My life would be turned upside down without my car, and if i suck up water into the intake and totally ruin my motor, i think i would literally be sick. As for wrapping your intake in foil, bad idea. The air in there does not have that much time to absorb the heat from the intake kit/intake elbow. Just do a little research next time, ask the people on the boards questions. It would be like filling your basement with water to make an indoor swimming pool, and not having a drain down there to get the water out. Just do a little research next time, your thinking outside the box, and thats good.
Yea I agree with you.

As far as the scoop on the bottom. I think I should be pretty safe with that. It does have a screen on it to block some of the water, and then the filter sits up a little bit from it. So the water would have to first get sprayed up in there, get past the initial screen, then somehow penetrate the next filter, and then move upwards through the intake and into the engine. You could be right though...just seems like a lot of variables, but dont worry, the forum will be the first to know if there is a problem.

And yea, about the heat shield. It may not be helping me any, but it just puts me more at ease thinking that my CAI is in fact "cold". I too read that the air passing through it doesn't have enough time to get heated by it. But after opening my hood on a hot summers day and feeling my scorching hot intake, I thought to myself...that can't be helping me any. The part I like the best is that the filter is covered up as best as possible from the engine heat. To me at least, it seemed like as the engine got hotter, even though the intake was down in the fender it would still suck up "hot" air, which will ultimately lose power. And also the issues with the IAT sensor and how people move it to pick up colder air readings. I figure I might as well just make the entire intake system be "cold" in theory and just be done with it.

I appreciate the replies though. The idea behind this project was in fact to just be creative and make everything work to its greatest ability. It was just a project that me and my buddies thought of as we were workin on our cars and drinkin beer one day. Just somethin fun and in theory a "good" idea. Maybe I should stop drinking when I work on cars...I come up with crazy ideas like this
Old 01-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Its a shame that some people have to be so petty, and rip the guy for trying to accomplish something. Its entirley possible to give your opinion on the validity of the mods without ridiculing him - Shoebox and the Engineer managed. mdacton seems to have started it all..... he might want to think twice about flaming people and starting trouble.

The rest of you who jumped on the flame bandwagon should be ashamed of yourselves.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by micfly83
mdacton you crack me up.
Did I miss something??????

There is no post from him/her????

As far as the mods go. Would the front air scoop cause problems in the rain?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Did I miss something??????

There is no post from him/her????
Not sure why you feel compelled to butt in..... there are about a dozen posts that have been deleted in this thread.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:24 AM

Micfly, thanks for the write up! It is crucial, for a community like this to work, that folks share their ideas and you did that well. For what it's worth, I'm sure you did improve the intake temperatures of the air somewhat. You picked a system, looked at it's intended performance gain, and optimized that sucessfully. That's what engineering, and modding, is all about. So what if it's only good for maybe 1 degree less intake air temp, or .1 HP? Folks are getting hung up on the tradeoff between effort involved, aesthetics, and performance gain. But the idea is sound. Sure, you could have gotten more performance for less effort in other areas, I guess. But is that how we all pick which area of the car to work on next? Not me. When I saw the rather poor sealing around the CRFM and realized it could be better, I improved it. Did it make my car any faster? No way. Can I even measure the improved idle a/c performance considering test-to-test variation? Nope, too small. But, I had some extra materials onhand and saw a way to make something better. Plus it's fun to improve something your own way. So, good job.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM

Yea I agree with you.

As far as the scoop on the bottom. I think I should be pretty safe with that. It does have a screen on it to block some of the water, and then the filter sits up a little bit from it.
How has the scoop worked out for you on the streets? I have seen that mod on someone else's car and I was thinking of trying it out since it is relatively inexpensive to fabricate. I'm worried about ground clearance though, about how much distance would you judge you have between the scoop and pavement?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not sure why you feel compelled to butt in..... there are about a dozen posts that have been deleted in this thread.
Wait just a minute here. I asked a question of the person that started the thread in the first place. I was not asking you! So exactly who's buttin in ????
Old 01-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Wait just a minute here. I asked a question of the person that started the thread in the first place. I was not asking you! So exactly who's buttin in ????
Might want to take the time to read my post, which immediately preceded yours.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:34 PM

What are you asking?

It seems like many of the posts were deleted for some reason.

JP95ZM6 hit the nail right on the head for the motive of I why I did everything.

And as far as the scoop. I'll try and get a picture of it in relation to the ground. Its not any lower than the front skid thing.

As far as performance from all this, I really cant tell you at the moment. Today I drove back to school on the highway, and with about 400lbs of crap in the car, it did very well. I dont want to say if there were performance gains or not due to the extreme flaming people like to do on this board, but it seemed to pull very well at higher speeds even with all that weight.

As for acceleration from a stop. Its hard to say. My tires break loose in 1st and 2nd. I reallllly need new tires bad.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
How has the scoop worked out for you on the streets? I have seen that mod on someone else's car and I was thinking of trying it out since it is relatively inexpensive to fabricate. I'm worried about ground clearance though, about how much distance would you judge you have between the scoop and pavement?
Actually if you look at the pictures in the beginning of the thread you can kind of get an idea of its distance from the ground. If you want me to I can measure it for ya.

But today I was leaving my driveway and goin over speedbumps and stuff, and there was no scraping at all. Works good so far.

It all depends on what kind of duct you get. Some hang a lot lower. Mine was $15 I believe, and theres some that cost like $40.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:55 PM

Interesting scoop. The guy that owned my 97 prior to me took the cover off the front completley. Ive been concerned about that. Let me know if it helps any
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Actually if you look at the pictures in the beginning of the thread you can kind of get an idea of its distance from the ground. If you want me to I can measure it for ya.

But today I was leaving my driveway and goin over speedbumps and stuff, and there was no scraping at all. Works good so far.

It all depends on what kind of duct you get. Some hang a lot lower. Mine was $15 I believe, and theres some that cost like $40.
Gotcha, maybe I'll give it a shot, if it comes off, oh well. My driveway is at a rather odd incline so it is kind of difficult pulling my car out at times. I have never drug my headers or any part of the exhaust, but I have caught my aftermarket torque arm a couple of times.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM

I love the scoop idea and have seen it b4, i plan on doing the same thing except im gonna make a little sliding latch somehow to cover the opening completley. So when it rains or is wet i can cover the hole so there is no risk of water entering my engine.

Quick Reply: My newest free/inexpensive mods! Pictures...opinions