LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My newest free/inexpensive mods! Pictures...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:57 PM

You should incorporate a baffle so if your car submerges in a puddle it will suck air from the baffle midway. I believe most of the CAIs incorporate such a baffle.

I got chided for my replies. Sorry, dude.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM

i did this mod (the ram air one) today and boy... i think that it really did help my car! just from taking a spin in it, all the gears seem to have alot more pull and 1st is damn near useless now, whereas ealier i could hook ok... idk i think it helped alot.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:33 PM
Banned

Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks to this ram air mod, I cured cancer.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 PM

ive done this mod on my old car, it was a little differ. i used a flexable tube from the side of a light in the front of the car and ran it in the filter compartment (coundnt see it). there is no differ in the first few gears but once you get some air flowing at higher speeds you can notice a slight differ in the throttle response.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 96' TransAm LT1
i did this mod (the ram air one) today and boy... i think that it really did help my car! just from taking a spin in it, all the gears seem to have alot more pull and 1st is damn near useless now, whereas ealier i could hook ok... idk i think it helped alot.
Originally Posted by mattybz28
Thanks to this ram air mod, I cured cancer.
I dont know if its the ram air mod or not, but I've been noticing a lot more attention from the ladies as well

It should improve your life in someway, if it doesnt help your car any.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:36 PM

so cynical... kinda pitiful..
Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 PM

Driving is a psychological experience. Waxing my car makes it faster and makes me better looking, everytime. Similarly, the seat of the pants test almost always delivers positive results. Since the point of the car is pleasure, DIY mods are thus highly successful. Racing EXCLUDED, it's the perceived value that really counts. Just keep the placebo effect in mind when making claims, or risk your credibility.

Technical merit notwithstanding, something hanging below your chassis is bound to get the girls attention.

Now we'd better get back to business before they move this to the lounge.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM

ok JP95... sounds good, i was jsut sayin what i thought glad you can see that... and of course something hangin off the chassis gets girls attention
Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635940

this would work better I think
http://www.lt1engine.com/techaids/freeramair.html

Last edited by mdacton; 01-09-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:23 AM

I've done a scoop something like that one, but mine extended up to the back side of the air dam. Water was never a problem but parking lot bumpers and curbs were. Yours may not have that problem.
But, if you want it to be effective you will need to remove the section of the air dam in front of the scoop. As was already said, it creates a low pressure area behind it to facilitate airflow through the radiator. Placing a scoop in a low pressure area is counterproductive.
As for the heat wrap stuff, it aint pretty but it can't hurt.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Just a little insight from experience. The foil thing might help for short drives... let's say sitting in line waiting for your turn at the track. However on any longer drives it'll impair things more then you think. By adding your heat wrap you're trapping heat within this area for a longer period of time. Most heat you'll feel on your CAI system will be caused from when you stop. You're not allowing the cold air rushing through your radiator to cool your engine parts the way it should which is bad. If you're doing short stretches to the track then GJ you did exactly as you should... function. However by not allowing that eventual hot air to escape your CAI unit you're defeating the purpose. Why do you think they make TBI bypass units? to get that heat from cycling through the TB... Your heat shielding is trapping that all within itself and you'll begin seeing what I mean if you unwrap it after a longer drive (1hr or so). Good job working in the think tank though it helps having everyone throw in their part to help improve the mods dept.

Remember that old header wrap tape? kept the heat out of engine compartment but caused to much heat buildup on headers and they would warp something fierce a lot more often...

BTW I like your scoop! lol

Last edited by Mountain_Man; 01-11-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: I forgot again
Old 01-11-2007, 02:39 PM

looks like something off the nasa spacecraft. Hope it works for ya.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Some people may not like everything you've done, but I think it's great that you took the time to think this stuff up, do it AND be nice enough to post the pics and the story behind it.
I like the scoop idea! My friend & I were actually figuring how we could make one that I could just drop down for the track. Make it as wide as possible and a little lower to grab more air. When done racing, just slid it up and lock it in place! Then you have no worries about water or curbs or driveways cause it's just at the track! We're working on it and as soon as we get it figured, I'll post pics.
Peace,
Mike
Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by MikeTR
Some people may not like everything you've done, but I think it's great that you took the time to think this stuff up, do it AND be nice enough to post the pics and the story behind it.
I like the scoop idea! My friend & I were actually figuring how we could make one that I could just drop down for the track. Make it as wide as possible and a little lower to grab more air. When done racing, just slid it up and lock it in place! Then you have no worries about water or curbs or driveways cause it's just at the track! We're working on it and as soon as we get it figured, I'll post pics.
Peace,
Mike
I like that idea

I'm still not sure what i'm going to do about mine yet. Like many of you said its sitting right behind that thing which creates a low pressure etc etc. So I dont know If I should cut a hole in it or if I should just yank it off completely.

What will happen if I do that

Quick Reply: My newest free/inexpensive mods! Pictures...opinions