LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My newest free/inexpensive mods! Pictures...opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Do not remove the air dam. You will lose airflow to the radiator, and the car will overheat at freeway speeds.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain_Man
...By adding your heat wrap you're trapping heat within this area for a longer period of time. Most heat you'll feel on your CAI system will be caused from when you stop. You're not allowing the cold air rushing through your radiator to cool your engine parts the way it should which is bad...

Why do you think they make TBI bypass units? to get that heat from cycling through the TB
Mountain man, I respectfully disagree. The key to controlling heat is knowing which way the heat is going. It always moves from the hotter zone to the cooler one. Radiator discharge air will always be hotter than the intake air inside the CAI if the thermostat is open. So, radiator discharge air will still tend to increase the temperature of the intake air. Insulating the intake tract reduces the heat flow through the intake hardware, thus reducing the heat transfer to the intake air. That's the theory side. As for experience, I have run cars with multiple thermocouples in and around the intake tract to understand and improve intake air temperatures.

The TB coolant bypass works because the coolant temp is higher than the intake air charge temperature, and unless the TB is very hot from a heat soak the coolant will also be hotter than the TB. So, eliminating the coolant flow from the TB reduces the TB temperature, and thus reduces the heat transferred to the intake air.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JP95ZM6
Mountain man, I respectfully disagree. The key to controlling heat is knowing which way the heat is going. It always moves from the hotter zone to the cooler one. Radiator discharge air will always be hotter than the intake air inside the CAI if the thermostat is open. So, radiator discharge air will still tend to increase the temperature of the intake air. Insulating the intake tract reduces the heat flow through the intake hardware, thus reducing the heat transfer to the intake air. That's the theory side. As for experience, I have run cars with multiple thermocouples in and around the intake tract to understand and improve intake air temperatures.

The TB coolant bypass works because the coolant temp is higher than the intake air charge temperature, and unless the TB is very hot from a heat soak the coolant will also be hotter than the TB. So, eliminating the coolant flow from the TB reduces the TB temperature, and thus reduces the heat transferred to the intake air.
I'm glad you pointed that out! . The post made no sense at all.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I'm glad you pointed that out! . The post made no sense at all.
Well, I try to payback for the good LT1 info whenever I can. Heat transfer is a lot easier for me than picking an engine combo. You guys just keep telling me about parts and combos, and I'll do what little I can to to help keep guys like Carnot, Rankine, Joule, Fourier, Newton, Bernoulli, Euler, etc from turning over in their graves.

Present company excepted, Injuneer
Old 01-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Isn't this what I said?

Why do you think they make TBI bypass units? to get that heat from cycling through the TB

However thanks for your insight on the heat wrapping. The gains received by wrapping your CAI are not going to be great. You're simply creating a poor looking intake. If you've got heat problems already and causing "pinging" then you will need to fix that first. GJ either way on the work you've done.

Last edited by Mountain_Man; 01-14-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Stated wrong wording
Old 01-14-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mountain_Man
Isn't this what I said?

However thanks for your insight on the heat wrapping. The gains received by wrapping your CAI are not going to be great. You're simply creating a poor looking intake. If you've got heat problems already and causing "pinging" then you will need to fix that first. GJ either way on the work you've done.
Yes, you are right about the bypass. I restated just to point out how it's a diffferent situation vs the CAI. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:22 PM

I just have to give props to the guy who started this thread.
Some of you have seen my GRA (ghetto ram air) and I am proud of it.
Its my calling card now.
Do what you want to do with YOUR car, to hell with what everyone else thinks.
Trial and error is the only real way to see if something that has never been done actually works.
Go out and experiment on your own cars don,t just jump on the 18 inch wheel bandwagon and call it finished.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 PM

Red face

I've never liked the underscoop idea.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Skull Leader
I've never liked the underscoop idea.
may I ask why? afraid of water or other junk getting caught up in ur CAI?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
may I ask why? afraid of water or other junk getting caught up in ur CAI?
not only can it scoop up water but road debris and small animals

I would think the scoop would create turbulence and the insulation adds weight

instead of going to the Home Depot for mods check out forums for proven mods

IAT sensor relocation
TB coolant bypass
SMOG pump delete
weight reduction
etc.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 AM

I bet the near-zero added weight from the air-filled mylar insulation is more than offset by the further-from-zero performance gain. So it shouldn't HURT performance. Unlike some other free mods. The MAF screen delete, for example, has been called a bad idea that can hurt performance.

Sorry Razor, I couldn't resist after reading your response, then your SIG. All in good fun.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:56 AM

i am a firm disbeliever in MAF Screen delete being a bad thing that hurts performance, ecspecially if u get a tune.... i have my MAF screen deleted also.... and some light weight plastic, shouldnt add more then 1 pound to ur car.... so dont give me the weight adding lecture razor
Old 01-15-2007, 03:57 PM

I bet the near-zero added weight from the air-filled mylar insulation is more than offset by the further-from-zero performance gain. So it shouldn't HURT performance. Unlike some other free mods. The MAF screen delete, for example, has been called a bad idea that can hurt performance.

Sorry Razor, I couldn't resist after reading your response, then your SIG. All in good fun.
Your right that is why I didn't add "delete MAF screen" to my little list of mods in my post.

I actually put the screen back in my car when I put the Trick flo elbow on. There was no difference in drivability or performance what so ever. Big surprize huh?

I guess I should fix my sig then.
Originally Posted by Razor's old sig
Machine: 1994 Camaro Z28 LT1 T56
Current completed mods: Skip shift elimination, MAF screen delete, Trick flow intake elbow, TB bypass
Future mods: CAI, Hooker cat back, magnaflow catalytic converter,LS1 front brake upgrade
System: Kenwood KDC-X590 headunit W/ KFC1660s speakersall around
Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
i am a firm disbeliever in MAF Screen delete being a bad thing that hurts performance, ecspecially if u get a tune.... i have my MAF screen deleted also.... and some light weight plastic, shouldnt add more then 1 pound to ur car.... so dont give me the weight adding lecture razor
no lecture just saying its adding weight and its not nessesarily doing much. 1 pound of weight reduction is like freeing up 1/20 of a HP No it doesn't add HP Im saying taking 20 pounds off your car is the same as adding 1 HP to your car.

Last edited by razor02097; 01-15-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Razor, that was very respectful of you to quote the old sig after you edited out the descreen part. Otherwise folks would have thought I was nuts, since it disappeared from the old posts too after changing.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:01 AM

good job

Quick Reply: My newest free/inexpensive mods! Pictures...opinions