LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My tranny may be dying...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 08:59 PM

My tranny may be dying...

1st symptom is it will not lock up on the highway no matter what I do. It will lock up in town at 45-50mph, but at 70 it just won't lock. I actually got it to lock today for about 3 miles then it unlocked and wouldn't lock again.
I made a 50 mile round trip drive to a car show saturday via interstate and it didn't lock up one time the entire trip.

Plus the shifts are getting wierd. Yesterday on the 2-3 shift it pulled to the shiftpoint, about 6200 rpm, then it paused, then it resumed in 2nd gear...it was like it could not find 3rd.

Then today: usually the 1-2 shift is strong enough to break the tires lose and the back end gets squirrelly. Today it was really soft and it did not drop to 4200 after the shift, it stayed up around 5000....as if it was slipping.

Need to call Vigilante and rule out the converter as the problem. Also going to try tweaking the shift program some more in the morning. I've been messing with line pressure a lot lately to compensate for the 58mm TB (shift pressure/points are governed by TPS position)

I really don't need this...too many big expenses lately, this is one I'd gladly put off if I could. The good news is it drives around town fine. Hopefully it will dyno OK too on Saturday.

Any ideas as to what it is? My first thought is that the pump is going out and it doesn't have enough pressure to engage the lockup clutch and that's why the WOT shifts are all haywire.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 PM

Re: My tranny may be dying...

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
1st symptom is it will not lock up on the highway no matter what I do. It will lock up in town at 45-50mph, but at 70 it just won't lock. I actually got it to lock today for about 3 miles then it unlocked and wouldn't lock again.
I made a 50 mile round trip drive to a car show saturday via interstate and it didn't lock up one time the entire trip.

Plus the shifts are getting wierd. Yesterday on the 2-3 shift it pulled to the shiftpoint, about 6200 rpm, then it paused, then it resumed in 2nd gear...it was like it could not find 3rd.

Then today: usually the 1-2 shift is strong enough to break the tires lose and the back end gets squirrelly. Today it was really soft and it did not drop to 4200 after the shift, it stayed up around 5000....as if it was slipping.

Need to call Vigilante and rule out the converter as the problem. Also going to try tweaking the shift program some more in the morning. I've been messing with line pressure a lot lately to compensate for the 58mm TB (shift pressure/points are governed by TPS position)

I really don't need this...too many big expenses lately, this is one I'd gladly put off if I could. The good news is it drives around town fine. Hopefully it will dyno OK too on Saturday.

Any ideas as to what it is? My first thought is that the pump is going out and it doesn't have enough pressure to engage the lockup clutch and that's why the WOT shifts are all haywire.
Yea, it sounds liek the tranny is about to kick the bucket. How many miles do you have on it?. I hope its your converter b/c it most likely will be cheaper to have it rebuilt than have your tranny done up. Good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 08:40 AM

Only 67,000 miles on the car so far.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:46 AM

I don't mean to jump in on your thread....but how do you know when your converter locks up?....since I also have an A4, I am interested in learning all I can so I can monitor how it is doing.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:54 AM

Lockout is when it drops into overdrive.

First check the fluid leval. Have you installed a shift kit? I had almost the exact same problem when I installed a shift kit in my 89. The Valve body and accumulators control the firmness of the shifts and when it shifts. Messing with that could screw your whole tranny up. I had to have mine rebuilt.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:39 AM

It appears to be shifting fine today. Its rainy so its hard to get full throttle but the shifts appeared crisp and firm.

My line pressure vs. TPS% table was all screwed up from where I've been adding 5% at a time across the whole table to get enough low speed pressure to lock the converter. There is a max of 90psi line pressure, you can enter 200 if you like but the actual pressure will never go above 90. Because I kept adding % I had half the table in the 130s and higher. I went back and put anything over 90 back to 90 and it appears to be shifting OK.

Still won't lock up to save my life though.

---I do have a Transgo kit, but its been in there for a year w/no problems. The problems started when I put in the new heads/cam and began shifting at 6200rpm. The first time I took it to the track I think I overheated it because the shifts became very delayed.

FYI on lockup...once the tranny gets into 4th, you will usually see the RPMs drop a little more, almost like a 5th gear. When you can give it gas and the RPMs rise slowly rather than revving, you know its locked.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:01 AM

Yeah mine you can really tell when my converter locks up.
I had a Trans Go kit in my stock tranny and it lasted till about 125k. Then I lost 2nd gear, every other gear seemed fine just no second. I had the tranny rebuilt and come to find out the guy who put the tranny kit in did not put all of it in. My sprag was fried and the clutches were trashed, tranny guy could not believe the thing was still working (cept for second) I personally would not mess with the transmission parameters in the PCM, or if you do have a professional do it. Too much stuff you can mess up in there if you get it wrong and a performance tranny build is expensive. I pulled the tranny myself and reinstalled it and the tranny rebuild and a stall still cost me about 1200 bucks.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:49 PM

Hey Chris...

I am in the same boat, all my problems began with a fluid change before it would bark 2nd everytime, After fluid change not even close, and I am having the delayed shifting issue as well, only 70,000 miles so, if you can figure it out let me know, BTW I might swing by TEA this Sat. Do you happen to have anyone in MTFBA that has a connector for 94 for laptop they might could bring so I could log some data down say Lovers Lane or something while you all are at TEA???? Is Brian p. gonna be dynoing??? I talked to chad he said he may wasn't for sure.....TTYL
Old 07-22-2003, 02:10 PM

I know about --> <-- much about M6 transmissions, and about --><-- much about A4 transmissions, but I wouldn't beat on it (dyno) if its acting strange and you aren't ready to rebuild it.

Just my opinion.

off topic: Any more luck with the missing power?

Ryan
Old 07-22-2003, 02:11 PM

I don't know if Brian will be dynoing or not, but he's going to be there. I dont' know if anybody will have the right connector for you or not...but come on by and we'll see.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:13 PM

Ryan,

If the tranny goes I'm putting an M6 in...not money I want to spend but if its going to go its going to go.

Anyway, I have not been back to the track lately but amazingly enough, cleaning the K&N filter freed up 20 grams/sec. through the MAF sensor, about an 8% increase in airflow at WOT.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:13 PM

Cool will do.....If I am not mistaken Brian will have his boy, I believe we have our son's on the same weekends, but I will probably stop by......Need to talk to Brent anyway....
Old 07-22-2003, 02:14 PM

Chris

If and when I get a connector, I want you to check it out for me and tell me whats going on...you seem to be on top of your game with knowing what everything does....
Old 07-22-2003, 02:28 PM

I will if you have your own software, mine only scans OBD2 stuff.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by Chris 96 WS6
Ryan,

If the tranny goes I'm putting an M6 in...not money I want to spend but if its going to go its going to go.

Anyway, I have not been back to the track lately but amazingly enough, cleaning the K&N filter freed up 20 grams/sec. through the MAF sensor, about an 8% increase in airflow at WOT.

I know what I'm doing tonight .