LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

My Very First LT1 Mod/Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Re: My Very First LT1 Mod/Upgrade!

Originally Posted by Nate LeDuc
I think you are correct, I think I'm confusing LTCC with Delteq. Again its been awhile since I've looked into it. Who had the system that replaced the Opti with an aftermarket optical sensor?
No one.

EFI Connection 24X system eliminates the Opti completely, then adds what I believe is a magnetic cam position sensor, to allow the use of the LS1 PCM on the LT1 engine, with the 8 LS1 coils.

The optical cam position sensor in the Opti is very reliable from my experience. I use it to feed cam position to a MoTeC aftermarket ECU, with their 8-channel ignition driver and 8 LS1 coils. A buddy of mine used the same setup on a 383 LT1 that routinely rev'd to 8,000RPM while making 1,125HP on 20# of boost. Bullet-proof.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 AM

I would take the LTCC any day over "full MSD" all you did was **** away money to make the system LESS reliable.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:22 PM

Amen.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would take the LTCC any day over "full MSD" all you did was **** away money to make the system LESS reliable.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:45 AM

Next mods are:

PCM tuning, LTCC with custom coil brackets, NGK TR55's,
Shocks, springs, panhard rod, lca's, lca relocation brackets, and tunnel crossmember mounted torque arm, and Energy bushings throughout.

Already got the exhaust patched up, as whoever installed the system did not take any pride in their work, to say the least. All the rattles and leaks are now gone

Also fitted my third gen driveshaft with new Spicers and will bolt that in soon.

Last edited by new2chevy; 08-17-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM

Are the stock posi units in pre-LS1 cars Auburns or gov-locks?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM

I would not do the LTCC either, stock ignition actually works well if maintained and assembled correctly.
I just said I would take it over "full MSD" because the LTCC is reliable, that does NOT mean it offers any real benefit.
Far as posi, the gov-loc is a TRUCK piece where in theory it is good for snow/sand/mud, far as I know it was never put in a car. My truck has one and I would like to kick that engineer in the sack.
Then I believe the f-body posi option was Zexel, the b-bodies got the Auburn.

I would slow down on the poly bushing idea too unless you like harness and noise, and squeeks. IMO poly should be used in moderation.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 PM

The LS cars got the Zexel Torsen, earlier cars got the Auburn.

I second the comments on using urethane bushing sparingly. I think the worst spot for a urethane bushing is the tranny mount......it sends the vibration and noise straight up to the console. The stock bushing works fine up to pretty high power levels so there isn't much need for one there anyway....
Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 PM

Off topic, I love those stripes, where can I aquire a set of those?
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Ah I thought so but was just making sure. Thanks.

Regarding the poly Trans mount it was all I had to replace the destroyed rubber mount.

I do notice a strange oscillating vibration under the center console now at WOT on the highway. Not sure if it's normal and now only noticeable because of the poly Trans mount or if it's a bad vibration. The car seems to be "holding back" when I punch it at 60+ mph. The speed of the car seems too slow for 5000+ rpms.

QUOTE=bw_hunter;6917669]The LS cars got the Zexel Torsen, earlier cars got the Auburn.

I second the comments on using urethane bushing sparingly. I think the worst spot for a urethane bushing is the tranny mount......it sends the vibration and noise straight up to the console. The stock bushing works fine up to pretty high power levels so there isn't much need for one there anyway....[/QUOTE]
Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 AM

The previous owner did that striping kit. I'll ask him what kit it is.

Originally Posted by Nate LeDuc
Off topic, I love those stripes, where can I aquire a set of those?
Old 08-18-2012, 06:39 AM

I understand a poly tranny mount is easier to find. I run one but then again my car is body on frame and my crossmember bolts to the frame.

I haven't spent a lot of time under f-bodies, your crossmember is like 18" wide and bolts to the floor right? I could definitely see poly causing some noise and vibration like that.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Best thing is to get the 1LE mount. It is still rubber, but doesn't have the hole in it.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Best thing is to get the 1LE mount. It is still rubber, but doesn't have the hole in it.
2nd!
I replaced my tranny mount twice on my old 96. first time with the stock GM and 2nd time with 1LE mount. The new stock one lasted 2 months.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 AM

And how long did the 1LE mount last?

Originally Posted by ny_z28man
2nd!
I replaced my tranny mount twice on my old 96. first time with the stock GM and 2nd time with 1LE mount. The new stock one lasted 2 months.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:33 AM

Yep the crossmember bolts to the floor and spans about 18".

I just hope the vibration is the new Energy mount and not some tranny problem.

I noticed some play on the slip yoke side of the tranny. Not sure if a little play here is normal or not.

The thing that bothers me the most is punching it on the highway when I'm at 60+ mph, and the revs go up up up but the car doesn't keep up with the revs.

It's like it's stifled or holding back.

I need a T56.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I understand a poly tranny mount is easier to find. I run one but then again my car is body on frame and my crossmember bolts to the frame.

I haven't spent a lot of time under f-bodies, your crossmember is like 18" wide and bolts to the floor right? I could definitely see poly causing some noise and vibration like that.

Quick Reply: My Very First LT1 Mod/Upgrade!