LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is it my water pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:46 PM

Is it my water pump???

OK so i replaced my waterpump (aftermarket though...crap) last year coz it bit the dust. When it was going, it would, more or less squirt out of the shaft. I jsut pulled into work and saw some coolant dripping from around where the water pump is. and im a bit loiw on coolant. it looks like its dripping form under where the water pump area is....but more towards the left side (while facing the car) of the pump. is there a hose there? or you guys think i need another pump. Just wanna ease some curiosity since i cant look at it right now

edit: it doesnt do this when the car is cold and you just go down the street. it needs some temperature

Last edited by FLyinlow89; 08-18-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:21 PM

Re: Is it my water pump

ttt
Old 08-18-2004, 04:50 PM

I have almost an identical problem it seems....doesn't do it cold, but last night i noticed my temps a lil high, so i pulled over and gave her a once over...i was greeted by the hissing of a pressure leak, couldn't visibly see where it was coming from since it was night out, but narrowed it down to the water pump area...Today i popped my hood, checked coolant (resevoir nearly full, radiator nearly empty) as i was filling my radiator soon as it started to get full water starts to leak out somewhere and i can see it drip onto the harmonic balancer(with engine off)...appears to be coming from the back of the water pump, but i have not been able to get a look from underneith the vehicle yet to verify this...this scares me to see my vehicle lose water like a faucet with engine turned off...nonetheless i started it for just a sec, and could nolonger see coolant dripping(might just be getting whisked away by the air flow of belts, etc.)....any insight would be appreciated thanks,
Old 08-18-2004, 05:17 PM

dude....i completely forgot...mine was hissing when i popped the hood too.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:22 PM

I feel bad for your Optispark. They do not like getting wet so GM put them right behind the waterpump. If it looks like it is coming from the back of you waterpump, chances are that you opti has been getting a bath.

-James
Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 PM

There are 4 hoses that connect to your water pump... All visible from just taking off the intake elbow.. You need to dry the whole water pump area and the weep hole.. Do whatever it is u need to do to make it leak an recheck the underside of the water pump.. stick your finger in the weep hole to see if theres fluid.. If coming from the weep hole then your wp is bad

Only places next to the ater pump that can be leaking so bad are the Throttle body coolant lines, the weep hole, 1 of the 6 bolts that hold the water pump in could be loose, or 1 of the 4 hoses has a hole in it and its spraying coolant out.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:44 PM

man i hope its just a hose....but with my luck...its definately the pump
Old 08-18-2004, 05:49 PM

it's none of the coolant lines, i'll check tightness of the water pump bolts, but what the hell is the weep hole?

-the last time i re-built my opti-spark i made certain to seal the entire case with a healthy bead of silicone, especially 'round the electrical connector, so i think it'll survive...

Thanks for the help, i'd already have the biatch apart inspecting it right now, but the car is in my apartment complex parking lot, and my manager keeps threatening to evict me for working on my car... ...so i have to wait til' my buddy gets off work, and we figure out a way to get the car to his house...
Old 08-18-2004, 07:21 PM

any other guesses?
Old 08-19-2004, 01:29 AM

well i got it to a friends house....lifted 'er up...filled 'er with water....watched all the water dribble outta the weep hole....so i pulled the pump, and have a new one waiting in a warehouse for me....can't get it til' 9a.m. tomarrow morning...checked out my opti, silicone seemed to do the trick, i doubt anything got in...oh p.s. Shuck's Kragen Checker (depending where you live) was a freakin' joke...they wanted $310.00 for an OE part that was by a ****ty manaufacturer...i suggest goin' through online if you can wait a couple days to buy your pump...highly suggest ebay...there were performance pumps going for $50.00...just a thought...