LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Mystery Stall,Help Needed Plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Mystery Stall,Help Needed Plz

Car is a 95 camaro 5.7 auto.
Ok the engine will randomly die. Be it driving at steady 2k rpm on highway,or idling parked. Sometimes it will start back up immedialty. Sometime take few cranks.

There is no warning,all performance and idle great.Its almost like turning car off while driving(very clean engine kill).I also noticed at wot it will usually die instantly at peak. Other times it will almost bounce off rev around 6k and I have let off,and will die shortly after.

Around 10% time it will throw code 16 low res,never thrown any other code.I realize this could be an opti,but been no bucking/skipping/fumbling anything when engine cuts off. Like other opti issues I've had (had several fbodys)

In trying to figure out issue. I changed the ignition swith,tps,icm,map, cleaned my tb and iac. Checked all my connections(ground etc). Fuel pressure great,compression great,all checks out. The opti is GM was put on less than 6 months ago when did ewp. Also at that time did plugs,and msd coil,and the actual harness to opti.

So im lost, I really don't want to think its the opti but running out options. Id just never heard any opti only throwin code 16 low res. No bucking misfire anything. Usually starts fine within 2 cranks,and seems to always fire up flawless initially(cold engine)

Hoping some lt1 guru might have some idea what might result code 16 low res,other than opti? Or is my luck just that bad? Thanks for any input

Last edited by KUTTER; 08-15-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:14 AM
Administrator

DTC 16 is failure of the low res pulse signal from the optical sensor in the Opti. When it sets, the PCM shuts down the fuel system = clean shutdown. Check the Opti harness connectors first. Look for corrosion, bent pins, or a missing clip that holds the parts together. Should be OK if its new, though.

DTC 16 will have an "on or off" nature. If the signal disappears for two rotations of the crank, the PCM shuts it down. For those two rotations, the PCM can keep track of the cam position by counting the high res pulses, but after that, it just gives up. Its not likely to produce misfires, bucking, etc.