LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

N20 or Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 PM

N20 or Cam?

Guys I have been thinking of doing a cam install on my 95 Z. The only thing is it has 96K on it and Im short on cash. With School Starting in January, it will become even tighter. I was just wondering what you guys would do...Spray a 100-125 shot or Cam it? I really just want to have a semi-fast car for relativley cheap. I know with all the parts the N20 setup will be close to cam parts but...the wear and tear would be less right? Not like I plan on running a bottle at all times just when I need it...so maybe 1 bottle per month? I really need my car to last lol, so let me know.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:55 PM

i'm conservative about this so if it were me i'd just do a cam for now. as i've mentioned in another post if you're tight on money the last thing you want to happen is something go wrong w/ your car when you don't have the money to fix it. or just wait until you're out of school, get a good job and then start going mod crazy?
Old 12-09-2006, 11:13 PM

i would cam it.....u can always add spray if u want even more kick!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:15 PM

nitrous+street tires=pointless. And to do nitrous right it would cost ~$1200 EASY, and if you half *** it chances are you are going to blow something up. But nitrous will give you more power, but only when you have it on, while a cam will have it all the time. It's all in what you want out of your car.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 PM

The car is my DD so I really need some reliability. I know once you start modding that goes out the door, but I also understand that if I do everything right the chances are a hell of alot less. I'm just worried about the milage with a cam, the last thing I need to do is spin a bearing...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:42 AM

I would go with a tame cam like the Hotcam and call it a day. As you know, a properly setup nitrous setup will run you well over a grand.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Put a nice set of headers and high flow cats on it. It sounds like a major engine blow up would be a serious problem for you at this opoint. Either a cam or N2O makes a major problem MUCH more likely than leaving the motor stock, especially with close to 100K on it.

Rich
Old 12-10-2006, 11:16 AM

Well this wont happen until Spring at least, but I was just wondering which would be safer really. If I cam it, Im going with the 503 and Yank 3200-3600 Stall. I just dont wanna rev the **** out of the motor with a new cam. Thats why I like the idea of Nitrous, and I understand that a good Nitrous set-up will be close to 1K if not a lil more, but the same goes for the cam and valvetrain. Im not saying I want my car to be indestructable I just dont want the odds of it blowing to be more than like 50% lol.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 AM

Go with a nitrous setup. Check Harris Speed Works.....they have some specials right now. If you go with their kit, a fuel pressure safety switch, and the Mallory 685 for you window and timing retard, you will have around 800 or so in it... run some ngk tr6's too. Considering you mileage, your probably asking from problems from a cam install...If you cam it, and you do spin a cam bearing, do you have the money to rebuid?...If so, its your choice then.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:39 AM

i would say go nitrous with all of the necessary accessories ie window and wot switches, fpss. this way you wont have the constant wear and tear of a cam and the nitrous will be as safe as possible.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 AM

Do I have money lined up? No, could I probably get it? Yes. Do I want to hear my dad bitch at me about it? LOL Hell No. Thats exactly why I was thinking of Nitrous, I figured it would be safer on my motor if setup properly. The HSW kit is actually what I was looking at...thats what peaked my interest.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mystic95_Z
Do I have money lined up? No, could I probably get it? Yes. Do I want to hear my dad bitch at me about it? LOL Hell No. Thats exactly why I was thinking of Nitrous, I figured it would be safer on my motor if setup properly. The HSW kit is actually what I was looking at...thats what peaked my interest.
I agree, nitrous is nice because you can hide it and if your folks get pissed at you every time you spend money on your car (like mine do), you can hide it in the car so they don't even know about it. I've heard of so many stories of people ending up with a spun bearing with a cam in less than a 1000 miles on higher milage cars, I would definitely go with the nitrous...
Old 12-10-2006, 01:07 PM

Well my Dad doesnt care if I mod, he would bitch if something happened afterwards though lol. I just always thought N20 was safer on a higher milage engine if it was in good shape.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 PM

I myself would do the nitrous, wait, that is what I did. I want to do a cam but with as many miles on my car (106,000), it would be pointless to tear down the motor to put a cam in and not do anything else. If I were ever to put a cam in, I would go ahead and do the heads and build up the bottom end. Of course, my car is not a daily driver so if I were to blow something up with the juice I could just park it until I have the money to fix it.

I got my kit from a friend cheap (150 bucks), it was for a mustang but I sold the mustang plate and bought a LT1 plate to replace it. Everything I have on the car having anything to do with the nitrous kit is used. If I include everything, kit, remote opener, gauges, mallory 685, bottle mount, switches and misc stuff I have about 450 tied up in it. Of course if you would take out the cost of the gauges I got it would be closer to 300. I am a bargain shopper and got everything DIRT cheap.

Back on subject, get the nitrous. If you are **** about it, get the major parts brand new but the parts that don't see much wear and tear (purge, heater, FPSS, maybe even the Mallory) buy it used and save some money. Install everything in a weekend and you're ready to go.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 AM

Honestly dont spend the money, I mean if moneys getting tighter I dont see why you would spend money that could potentially turn into more money in repairs. (I must be getting old for saying this). And if you are hellbent on spending some $$$, buy those longtubes you mentioned in your signature, or some other mod that does not risk the driveablity of your car.

PS good luck in school, im studying for finals right now, and decided to take a break and visit cz28.