LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need advice on modding the LT1

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 08:43 PM

Lightbulb Need advice on modding the LT1

OK I need some help on modding my LT1. All the mods I have is listed on the sig. I was wondering what is the next mod i should walk into. I was thinking about getting a SC or Turbo. I have plans to invest on a turbo in the future but I know I will have to spend a lot of $$$$. So for the mean time I wanna see if I should go with heads and cams next. I thought about NOS but will wait up on that for now. At the same time I dont wanna spend the money twice on the same part. Maybe upgrading the cam and port out the stock heads..... The goal I have for my LT1 is to run 10s as a daily driver. I know modding the car is gonna cost $$$$ to go faster, but I wanna make sure I get all the minor mods out of the way and see where I am at and then I will go from there
Old 01-31-2004, 09:11 PM

The goal I have for my LT1 is to run 10s as a daily driver.
Just buy another motor and start building it. If you do dip into the 10's with a mostly stock LT1, it probably won't last very long, especially if you go with a supercharger or a turbocharger.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:11 PM

I would port the heads and intake to the max, and then you could work everything else around that. I didnt look to see if you had gears, but if you don't already, I would do thos and maybe a 12 bolt or even a 9 inch.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:17 PM

Installing a turbo or SC is not a "bolt it on and forget it" deal. Doing a heads/cam combo will push you over 400 horsepower and give you some valuable wrench time on your car. It also appears that you do not have headers, so it might be a good time to tackle that too.

When you do a power adder, you'll quickly uncover weak links in your combo. I wouldn't do a SC or turbo setup on a stock bottom end IMO.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:20 PM

A 10sec daily driver is an expensive proposition. "Daily driver" implies a car that doesn't have much weight reduction, so it takes a LOT of hp. The problem isn't making the hp, it's the supporting parts needed that make the job so expensive. I'd advise a less arbitrary goal. Instead, set a budget and figure out how to make it as fast as possible within that budget. For some strange reason, I decided that I wanted a 9sec street car with AC, full emissions, etc. And let me tell you that while it's been fun, it has also been 3x as expensive as I thought it was going to be.

If you are willing to strip out the car and engage in major weight reduction, it will be a lot cheaper and easier. But even so, budget at least as much for the "small stuff" as you do for the motor.

Rich Krause
Old 01-31-2004, 09:24 PM

My engine's on it's way out so I'm looking for a block. I'm going to do a nice rebuild in my garage. I'll probably go the hotcam route depending on emissions here in CA. I'll probably port out my stock heads to save some money. Then get myself a dynaspark and LT's. That should put me around 400hp on a smooth running practically brand new engine.

You're going to have to rebuild at some point - might as well do it right the first time. Either that or look into crate engines. Those were looking pretty good until I called up Combination Motorsports yesterday to get a price quote. $8,500 was their baseline price. I just about **** myself.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:36 PM

thanks for the info guys. I know to run 10s the car wont be stock and I know when i get to that route I will spend $$$$. Thats why I want to start little by little. I do have headers I got the long tube header from Jet hot. Gears are 3.42. I was thinking about the Procharger since it was supposely build for a stock motor or the STS turbo. I was thinking about getting a crate engines too, but I dont know if I will go that route just yet. I know having a 10s sec car as a daily driver aint cheap. I was thinking to see if I can go all motor and hit low 12s or hgh 11s then add either a SC or turbo, but that would be down the line.