LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Help ASAP - Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 01:14 AM

Need Help ASAP - Security Light

My security light stays blinking after key is in the on position and the car wont start. I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but that didnt work. Anyother ideas on how to get this light to go off. I have talked to some of my LS1 buddies and they have said they have had the same problem or have known someone who has and that their car wouldnt start either because of the light being on, so I am pretty sure that is the reason my car wont start, plus I checked on my other 94 and the light goes off with the other lights after a few seconds of the key being in the on position. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brenden
Old 08-11-2004, 01:19 AM

Re: Need Help ASAP - Security Light

could be alot of things... The only time it has ever happened to me it turned out to be a bad connection with the resistor in the key. I messed around with the resistor and it started up no problem. There is usually some play in the key and it could be you were playing with it.

Like my mom used to say "you keep playing with that and its not gonna work anymore..." kinda appies here. LOL
Old 08-11-2004, 01:27 AM

I will try that, thanx, and I will remember what your mom says also, lol.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:03 AM

that didnt fix it, any other ideas?
Old 08-11-2004, 03:10 AM

Sometimes there are shorts in the wiring. Im by no means an expert in this area. I would do a search looking for "security" you should find quite a few posts regarding this issue as it is rather common.

Good luck,
Stu
Old 08-11-2004, 05:47 AM

You could make an attempt at bypassing the VATS system. Shoebox has the instructions here: http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#pass_key to obtain the resistance value, then a trip to radio shack for a few parts, then bridge the wires at the stearing column to bypass VATS. This is assuming that you can get the resistance from your current key. Do you have a spare that you could try?
Your best bet is to start troubleshooting with the key since it's likely to be the weak link in the system. If your key isn't the problem, then it's likely to be a trip to the dealer. Do you still have the stock alarm?

Good luck mate!
-mj
Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 AM

Just bypass it via link above, thats what i did, and you will never have to worry about it again.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:38 PM

or if you wanna do it the correct way you can use an ohm meter on the key. then unplug the 2 wire connector at the botom of the colum (2 white wires in an orange sheeth) now stick the key in the tumbler and turn to the on position. stick your meter probs in the connector thats going up the the colum. if you get the same value your fine and it;s something else. if your geting an open on "infinite" value then you have a broken wire at the tumbler and it needs to be replaced. or you can order a bypass kit so that you don;t have to hack any of the wires. It will plug into the connector and alow you to fix the problem for good sometime down the road. I;m not a fan of bypassing since it makes the car a lot easier to steal.. a lot esasier.

I can find yo a kit if you would like
Old 08-11-2004, 12:40 PM

or replace the lock cylinder. Comes with 2 news keys
Old 08-11-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by sabre81
or replace the lock cylinder. Comes with 2 news keys

yup. just like I said. test it and if it;s bad you need a new one. Mine broke 3 days after I got my car. 70 bucks and an hour later it was fixed. I'm not a fan of cutting wires and spliceing resistors in there
Old 08-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Thanks guys for all of your help, I really appreciate it. I think I will just do what sabre81 and HBHRacing said and test it and if needed replace it. If the car didnt have all the appearance stuff done to it I would maybe try to bypass it but its a really good looking car IMO and I sure dont want to make it easier for someone to steal it. Once again thank you for everyones help.

Brenden
Old 08-12-2004, 02:50 PM

I replaced the ingnition lock cylinder and key but the security light is still on and my car still wont start, any other ideas?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:57 PM

what did your test come up with? are you sure you installed it correctly? did you check the key?? lot's of questions here.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by HBHRacing
yup. just like I said. test it and if it;s bad you need a new one. Mine broke 3 days after I got my car. 70 bucks and an hour later it was fixed. I'm not a fan of cutting wires and spliceing resistors in there
Same problem here. Whats the cheapest place to get a new lock cylinder?
Old 08-13-2004, 07:47 PM

I am not sure what the test said and I am sure it was installed right, because my buddy thats a mechanic at Graff Chevrolet helped me do everything(he did the test but we were using a really old OHM reader so we arent sure if it works right). I think however we might have it figured out now, I think the problem now is that I bought the new cylinder and key from autozone(just to see if it was the problem because it was cheaper than anywhere else) but their keys dont have a chip(i knew that before hand but I thought maybe the new wiring would compensate for that). So we are taking the key to Graff tomorrow and getting the code from it and then trying to get a new matching cylinder for it and a spair of my key. I hope to god this works, I want my Z back up and running. Thanks again for the help and I will let you guys know if I get it fixed.

Brenden