LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Help blew clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 03:20 PM

Need Help blew clutch?

Okay I was racing my car last night going into third out of second and hit the clutch it stuck there and I have to shut down the car. I coast to the side of the road and then try to push the clutch in and start the car. I was like stuck and the car didn't even want to turn over. I wait a minute or so and do it again and then it starts but has the loud metal to metal noise. I pull out the clutch and it goes but when I hit the clutch in it doesn't engage. Did I blow my clutch?? Anyone ever use the autozone one? I am thinking of getting that one. I only have 262 to the wheels
Old 03-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would reccomend NOT getting the Autozone/Advance Auto clutch. I had one, drove with it for like 100 miles, took it out and brought it back to them for a refund. The problem is that they use a really cheap disc. The PP on the other hand is fine.

There is a couple of valeo clutch kits on ebay for like $200 or so. That's a steal IMO, considering it is the same exact stuff that you would get from GM.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:55 PM

when my clutch started slipping, i got the brand that O'Reily's or Checker auto carries. worked good for about a year, then it stared to slip at high RPM's and it was chattering pretty bad. found I had collapsed 2 of the springs on the disk. overall it was a pretty good clutch for the abuse I put it through. I think it cost abot 270 for the whole kit.

Fullagar
Old 03-13-2003, 06:50 AM

Re: Need Help blew clutch?

Originally posted by Bad T.A.R.A
Okay I was racing my car last night going into third out of second and hit the clutch it stuck there and I have to shut down the car. I coast to the side of the road and then try to push the clutch in and start the car. I was like stuck and the car didn't even want to turn over. I wait a minute or so and do it again and then it starts but has the loud metal to metal noise. I pull out the clutch and it goes but when I hit the clutch in it doesn't engage. Did I blow my clutch?? Anyone ever use the autozone one? I am thinking of getting that one. I only have 262 to the wheels

WHat goals do you have for your car? Do you plan on big mods in the future. If you do I would do it one time and go with a McLeod Street Twin. Trust me you will waste your money replacing your clutch several times if you decide to go with cheap clutches. If you are not going to mods your car much more I would recommend going with a RPS clutch or a Ram clutch. Many people may recommend going with a Spec clutch but I have seen too many of them fail.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:02 AM

how bout the SLP unit that tbyrne sells? isn't that a good clutch for a fairly inexpensive prices?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:05 AM

I think the SLP clutch is in the ~350 range. It seems to be a decent clutch, people have been holding ~400rwhp with it and when you need more you can replace the clutch disk with a McLeod street disk. Its basically a modofied LT4 PP with a stock LT1 clutch disk.