LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Help with Fuel System Setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 02:08 PM

Need Help with Fuel System Setup

Well Im getting around to putting my new motor back in and I need help setting up a fuel system that will supply enough fuel for both N/A and Nitrous applications. Not sure what info you'll be needing but its a Solid Roller 383, Ill be spraying nitrous on it also but different amounts. They biggest shot Ill be spraying will be a 300. Can someone help me set up a good fuel system?
Old 04-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Re: Need Help with Fuel System Setup

Wet or dry nitrous? Total HP nitrous plus motor?

I'm running about 800flywheel HP including a 300-shot of dry nitrous, and have a reliable fuel system, including dual Bosch pumps, an SX billet filter, all -AN braided S/S lines, fuel rails modified to run in parallel rather than in series, a Weldon AFPR, and 78# Bosch injectors.

There have been a couple threads over the past 3 or 4 months on this subject, and one person posted some diagrams of a system he was palnning to install. A "search" might turn up some info.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:41 PM

Its a wet 300 shot... I should be looking somewhere around the same amount of power your putting out.. So a system fimiliar to yours would work..
Old 04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I replaced the in-tank pump with a Bosch 205LPH pump. That handles 500+HP running NA. Then we added a sump to the back/bottom of the tank, and there's another Bosch 205LPH fed off that. The second pump only runs when the nitrous system is armed.

The two pumps each discharge into a -6AN line, and into an NOS "Y" fitting (check valve in the line from the "nitrous" pump), with a single -6AN line to the SX billet filter, mounted in the stock location. From the filter to the back of the engine is a single -6AN line, splitting through another NOS "Y" with a -6AN line into the back of each fuel rail, with a -6AN fitting welded to the back of each rail.

At the front of the rails, on the diagonal cross-over pipe, there is a -6AN fitting welded to the pipe. A -6AN line runs to a Weldon AFPR under the cowl, and then a -6AN line back to the tank. There is a 1/8" NPT bung welded to the passenger side fuel rail for a fuel pressure sensor.

System operates at 58psi, and the injectors are rated 78#/HR at that pressure. They run at only 70% DC with the full 300-shot of dry nitrous (using a MoTeC ECU). You obviously will not need injectors that large, and will probably not need to "split" the rails for parallel flow like I did, because you are running a wet system.

With this setup, there is only one fuel tank, so its not possible to run one fuel for NA, and then run high octane leaded in a separate tank/pump for the nitrous system, but that's a result of my running a dry system. With a wet system, you might want to look at a stand alone fuel cell with a dedicated pump for the nitrous system.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:22 AM

Cheapest and easiest setup that will work for your car:

-Racetronix PnP Fuel Pump (you probably wont even need a hotwire kit for it on motor as they are good to 650 without one)
-Nitrous Outlet stand alone fuel system

Those two setups will provide you with plenty of fuel and tunability for the bottle. The stand alone fuel system could be done slightly cheaper if you put it together yourself, but it wouldn't be as nice or as simple. Both kits will virtually drop in place and supply plenty of fuel.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:50 AM

Wow choosing the correct and good fuel system is pretty difficult! Im STUMPED!

Last edited by 93 4mula; 04-28-2006 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:01 PM

I was the one that came up with the schematic using dual walbros...which should support about 900-1000rwhp.

Hope that helps!

-B
Old 04-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Yes it does! Thanks! Did you have to sump the tank to fit both of those pumps in the tank?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:30 PM

Nope! You just strap both of the pumps onto the stock hanger and drop them in the tank. I'll be putting my fuel system together this week and take detailed pictures and post them in a few days.

-B
Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 PM

Can it be setup where only one pump is running for n/a and then as soon as I arm my nitrous the other one kicks on? Also how do you attach the 2nd pump to the hanger?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:01 PM

Yes, you can set an arming switch to activate the second fuel pump, but you will need a check valve to prevent the fuel from being pushing back through the 2nd pump when it's not active. Call Lonnie at Lonnie's Performance. He makes the dual intank kits now.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:33 PM

I was looking at that. Does the kit come with pumps? If so what kind of pumps are they? What exactly does the hottbs switch do in the kits?

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Yes, you can set an arming switch to activate the second fuel pump, but you will need a check valve to prevent the fuel from being pushing back through the 2nd pump when it's not active. Call Lonnie at Lonnie's Performance. He makes the dual intank kits now.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 PM

Yes, the kit includes the pumps. You will need to send him the arm that your pump is mounted on to be modified for both pumps. I believe he uses the racetronix pumps, they're 255 lph each.

The hobs switch is used to activate the second pump under boost conditions. It would be simple to cut it out and wire it to a relay that could be activated by the nitrous arming switch though.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to do it myself with just 2 Walbro 255s.. $600 bucks is a lot for just two pumps really
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 PM

welcome to the big leagues of fuel delivery, holy crap your systems are NUTZ! lol

Quick Reply: Need Help with Fuel System Setup