LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

need help with heater-hose burned

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:12 AM

need help with heater-hose burned

okay - well car has been running mint all summer and of course now that my girlfriend is coming down to see it for the first time this saturday the car decides to kick me in the junk and die...

was out driving - pull into parking lot- go buy some new tires - walk out- all my coolant is on ground below car- i pop hood to see that my heater hose running to my heater coil is touching my header and has burned through spraying coolant everywhere- apparently my heat wrap slid down some how.

anyway i spent all day yesterday examining and calling around and apparently u cant just replace that hose- u need the whole - heater hose assembly for a 95-97 camaro and i need to replace the whole system

and to make matters worse - pulled some contacts and closest kit is in pennsylvania at a GM place however it will cost about 3x what GM parts direct costs .

http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses.jpg

thats the diagram - the part that burned is #20 - anyone have any ideas how to temp fix this - thought abuot cutting section out and hosebarbing together- but its a 3/4" hose and have had no luck finding a brass hose barb this size that will fit considering i have an 1-1.5" before the hose is crimped...

called a camaro salvage place i know and they are moving and sold all their stuff - suggested i rip the whole system out and just bypass temporarily but means i have to bleed whole system

argh - anyone have any other ideas- ?

thnx
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 AM

Re: need help with heater-hose burned

GM PART # 10146992 for hose #20 only. You can snip or dremel the crimped collar off (#16) and use hose clamps to put the hose back on the pipe. Don't cut into the underlying hard pipe. You might be able to use this method to temporarily splice a piece of longer hose on with your hose barb, to replace the burned section.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:36 AM

I had that problem once and I guess for the time being you might have to bypass the heater core. Bleeding the system is not a pain..just get a socket for a 3/8 drive to squeeze beside that intake elbow and bleed that top hose...
At the waterpump....locate the heater core inlet & outlet. Now have the hose connect the inlet to the outlet on the pump. This will bypass the heater core until you have time to buy that rear lil section of heater hose or whatever...thats what I did cuz yea...you have to buy that whole assembly..it sucks i know.. my heater is still not hooked up..I guess if it gets cold enough in Winter I'll get it fixed..
Old 08-03-2004, 07:29 PM

got it to workse- thnx guy

and shoebox thnx again - thats just the info i needed -