LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help ignition problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 03:51 PM

Need help ignition problems?

Well i have a new opti and all now and the car has been running great , alarm is done blah blah but i went to start my car yesterday and the key would only turn far enough to let the steering unlock but nothing else...I can start the car with the remote start but cant turn the key enough to make it work... Well after hours of messing with it and getting a new key made and callig around i force the ignition to turn cause i cant get the car towed really since i couldnt get the car out of park...The car was parking in a dirt area and mud so i couldnt jack it up and unhook the cable and manually shift it into neutral.

Well i had someone look at it , that supposedly is great with columns and ignitions at a local shop and he said he doesnt have a clue... everything seems to be fine..Soooooo after forcing the key the car can start by the key but it either tries to keep the starter spinning or if you pull the key back it shuts off....
Car is a 94 camaro a4
If anyone has a ny ideas or thoughts of what it might be let me know so atleast i can try something... i really need the car so i hope i can resolve this quick
Thanks for the replies in advance
Old 05-14-2003, 04:03 PM

Could be the ignition switch. Replacement info on my Tech Page. There are only 3 mechanical parts:
key cylinder
actuator rod
ignition switch

An A4 also has a transmission interlock cable on the ignition switch that may or may not have anything to do with your particular problem. Should not be that hard to figure out what is at fault.

Guess that guy was not so great after all.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:18 PM

There is actually another opperating parts to the steering column, and that is the sector gear and ingniton rack gear. The sector gear is attached to the ingnition lock cylinder, this gear meshes with the rack gear to opperate the ignition switch via a rod that attaches between the rack gear and ignition switch. If the rack gear breaks, which is very common, the cylinder will bind and not turn. As a result the ignition switch will not move to the proper position allowing the car to start, or possibly move too far and keep the stater motor engaged which you described. I would have the column taken apart and inspect the rack gear as your culprit, but be careful, the rack gear will usually crack and appear to be OK, but remove it to verify its condition to be certain.

Good luck,

Cole
Old 05-14-2003, 04:52 PM

Indeed, there is a little gear and rack in the column. If you isolate the actuator rod from the switch you should be able to get an idea of where your bind is coming from.

Lots of people have had the switches go out. Have not heard of much problems with the little gear and rack.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:21 PM

Well the switch is getting done tomorrow so im prayign its that... the guy keeps saying the only thing he can think of is electrical but he didnt go into more detail so i was just thinking he was bull****ting at that point.. the remote start was done and has been working for over a week or so now and still works but i dont think something electrical could have anything to do with it...... Im gonna printwhat you guy have come up with and give it to the guy so he can check it out lol...Thanks alot guys