LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need help lt1 troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Angry Need help lt1 troubles

so i put my 94Z away into storage at the end of august and about a month and half later i started it just to let it run for awhile. and now today i took it out of the storage shed to bring it away to the paint shop i took it around the block and it ran fine (i let it warm up to operating temp b4 taking out as it is 4 degrees out) but when i pulled up to a stop sign it started sputtering under load so i stopped at the local garage and he said there was a dead piston and the injectors can go bad just sitting in storage. i am not mechanically inclined at all just know the basics so i have no idea what would be wrong. but it drove yet so i decided to drive it to the paint a block away and parked it and went in to have them open the door put it in reverse and it died. wouldnt start again. it tried to and would sometimes idle very rough for about 2 seconds or so but would not run. it was popping once and awhile and eventually the battery went dead but the battery died very quickly as i only sat and tried to start it for about 3 min. so we pushed it in the shop and are charging the battery and let it be in a heated shop overnight and they are goin to try to start it tomorrow morning. thats the story. sorry if i included useless info but i am just trying to give you guys everything to work with so you can help me out. oh almost forgot there is no error code coming from the computer or SES light which the garge guys thought was weird and basically told me they dont know what to do without that light being on.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Well, to tide you over until more tech savy people get in here. You can check
1. Spark
2. Fuel pressure.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:42 PM

will do. what i dnt get is how it ran fine and had no problems b4 i put it away then i take it out for 5 minutes and it does this.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Maybe your gas is bad. The injectors could be getting clogged up. It would still run on 7 cylinders though. Check your fuel pressure, maybe replace the filter.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:36 PM

I have a 95 Z28 and had a problem very close to yours. It took forever to get the motor to start and would die after sputering but would throw no current codes. After checking history codes I found a coolant temp sensor too low. I replace the ECT sensor and it fired up and ran great. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bubba4
I have a 95 Z28 and had a problem very close to yours. It took forever to get the motor to start and would die after sputering but would throw no current codes. After checking history codes I found a coolant temp sensor too low. I replace the ECT sensor and it fired up and ran great. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
my low coolant light is the only light up on the dash but that has been up for over a year and i have had the coolant checked and it was all fine and have no reason why the light is lit up so i just ignored it. bad idea? the problem? lol i have no idea.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

I had a similiar problem with my 94. I put a set of pacesetter LTs on and it melted the insulation on the positive battery cable to the starter. Ruined the battery-backfed through and broke the starter-wouldn't stay running under load-hard starting while the battery lasted... I doubt this is your problem, however, it's something to take a look at. Hope this helps.....
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mpost5121
my low coolant light is the only light up on the dash but that has been up for over a year and i have had the coolant checked and it was all fine and have no reason why the light is lit up so i just ignored it. bad idea? the problem? lol i have no idea.
The low coolant light on the dash will not affect how the engine runs. The light is wired directly to the level sensor on the passenger side radiator tank, has nothing to do with the PCM. The level sensor gets crudded up and stops working - common LT1 problem.

The reference to the coolant temp sensor relates to the temp sensor in the water pump housing. That's the coolant temp sensor for the PCM. If the sensor is indicating a very low temperature, when the engine is actually warmed up, the PCM is going to assume the engine is cold and richen the mixture for cold start.

Scan the PCM for codes. Check the fuel pressure.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:17 AM

i was told that they wont find any problems if there is not light lit up if they scan it. of course i never actually brought it in to the actual garage just had a local mechanic look at it and thats what he told me. i will call the guys today and see if they have time to run over and check my car out thanks. ill post the results.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM

i was told that they wont find any problems if there is not light lit up if they scan it. of course i never actually brought it in to the actual garage just had a local mechanic look at it and thats what he told me. i will call the guys today and see if they have time to run over and check my car out thanks. ill post the results.
If the light isn't on it doesn't mean there aren't previous codes in the history. Scan it anyway.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM

well after sitting overnight in a heated shop it fired right up this morning with no problems at all... maybe i just had a false alarm? sorry.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Injuneer
.....Scan the PCM for codes. Check the fuel pressure.
Find another "local mechanic". As noted in the reply above, the past codes are stored in history, so they can be read even though the SES light is not on. There are also active codes that don't turn on the SES light, but will prevent your engine from starting. You could still have is scanned to possibly find the problem, rather then rely on it being a "false alarm". But you have to scan it now, or eventually the stored codes will be cleaered.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Find another "local mechanic". As noted in the reply above, the past codes are stored in history, so they can be read even though the SES light is not on. There are also active codes that don't turn on the SES light, but will prevent your engine from starting. You could still have is scanned to possibly find the problem, rather then rely on it being a "false alarm". But you have to scan it now, or eventually the stored codes will be cleaered.
alright thank you i will have it scanned. thanks i was not aware of any of that. sorry for being so ignorrant