LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need "help" Picking Cam :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 06:41 PM

Remember, it takes fuel to make power. You were asking about cam size, fuel, etc. The bigger the cam, generally, the less mileage you'll get. Sometimes it can drop from 1-4 miles per gallon depending on the set up. Also, there are other variables that affect the cam such as intake and exhaust systems.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:14 AM

Go to paceparts.com , and get the Hotcam Kit for $525. The only thing that you will have to buy is valve seals for like $10 and your lifters. IMHO the hotcam is the best cam for these motors.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:21 PM

go to combonationmotorsports.com and there number is there. They offer the 306 as wel

that web sit is not work it wrong or something but any way i need to chose this setup im going to do very soon i really don't know any thing about them at all but i want to get it don't in like to week when im getting my rear put in 410s and my dual f clutch and sup kit
do u think that 410s will be too much gear should i go with 373s?
will my tires spin all the time

and i have a intake oil leak i wanna get that done also
if i get the hot cam kit what else should i get done with it what other parts r needed? i don't have much money to work with im getting loads from family girlfriend well b-day is in 2 weeks so i will get a little bit a money then and my shop i that i am going to go with is just going to do all the work their and have my car for like a week

please help me thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 06:38 PM
Banned

its actually www.cmotorsports.com

I suggest you call them and talk to them.
asking what the best cam is like asking what the best color is.

wanting a cam that will give you lots of power, not require tuning and not effecting gas milage is like asking for drag springs that are good around turns.

Its a trade off...
how much if any your willing to trade is your personal opinion/prefrance
Old 04-04-2003, 02:50 AM

Also, www.racenet.net has some decent deals on cams/packages.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by zmanlt1
Go to paceparts.com , and get the Hotcam Kit for $525. The only thing that you will have to buy is valve seals for like $10 and your lifters. IMHO the hotcam is the best cam for these motors.
Heck with that, Jason Cromer has the kit for $465. And he has the timing chain and other parts for less. He's really a non-marked wholesaler cause he can get you DAMN good prices on parts.

The end result between the HC and the 305 came down to whether or not the extra 10rwhp the 305 MIGHT net you(due to slightly more lift) is worth the added cost. The HC has a tad more overlap and breathes a little better up top. Both will peak at or near 6000rpm and have very similar torque curves. Take your pick, the differences in them don't justify argueing over.

The 306 is way too big for a street 350 car. It peaks upwards of 6500rpm and the torque curve is way biased towards the high end. If you disagree, talk with SStrokerace, OldSStroker, or rskrause (Bret, Jon, and Rich)..... you'll understand. They know more about cars than 99% of the people on this board.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:02 AM

ok heres what will get you the best deal...

if you go LT4 hotcam.. not too big but still a decent cam for stock heads and should put a car in the 12s with a good tune and decent driving skills. youll want to call Jason Cromer for that. get his # from using the search.

if you decide on ANY of other cam then definitely call combinatoin motorsports.. they have good prices and will spend as much time with you as you need until you decision is made. personally i would get the XE 224/230 if you dont ever plan on porting your heads. even if you do that cam will put down 370+rwhp. JMO
Old 04-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Wild1
Also, www.racenet.net has some decent deals on cams/packages.
Racenet is the ****ing devil-
NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM
Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM

Uhm The cc306 is small IMO and with good tuning from LT1 edit it will pass emissions, I know a few people around here that have them and it does pass. best way to go is to get a custom grind cam to fit the LT1 perfectly with lots of lift and good duration.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:17 PM

Re: go to combonationmotorsports.com and there number is there. They offer the 306 as wel

Originally posted by Dmx4ever3
that web sit is not work it wrong or something but any way i need to chose this setup im going to do very soon i really don't know any thing about them at all but i want to get it don't in like to week when im getting my rear put in 410s and my dual f clutch and sup kit
Dude you might not want to rush into putting a cam into your car without knowing anything about cams. I would do some extensive research on them, and look at different cams and compare. When I first though about putting a cam in my car, I had no idea at all about them. I did some research, made some calls, and asked some questions about many different cams.

If you are tight for money, then I would suggest getting the Hot Cam because it's the best bang for the buck. www.cmotorsports.com has some great prices on cams too. Just check it out and do some research. If you search for cam, you will find loads of posts about the different ones out there that people are running.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:22 PM

HAHA, reading "what cam should i get?" posts is funny. Sooooo many different opinions. All it comes down to in the end is how extreme you want to go. Hotcam/305= small, less hp......XE230/236 & CC306 = big, more hp(with the right mods). You have the info, do a search for more, youre the one with the car and the cam going into it, you have to make the decision. Note: you will probably be a lot happier with a smaller cam right now with your mods and your want to spend money, you will definitely have to tune for a 306, 230/236, 224/230, hotcam, 305, any cam you will need tuning to get the power out of it, they will all drive without tuning, but get tuning, trust me.

You can always get a bigger cam down the road when you get heads and stuff.

The funniest thing i think about this one is dmx asks what cam, wanting a small cam with no tuning required....and people recommend the 306....i know its ok for stock heads, but not for this guy....no offense to anyone
Old 04-04-2003, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the heads up about Racenet... I was very close to giving them some business. Cmotorsports has been very helpful and I will continue to give them more...
Old 04-04-2003, 07:22 PM

how do u tune for a cam what do u need to change i have the hpp3 and can i still use it or no should i just use it for my fans and rear?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:22 PM

Once you get everything set up, you can have your PCM re-programmed. Should be done after a cam install. Best method is with a reliable tuner who has a dyno and a wideband O2 sensor.... $500. However, I've been very satisfied with Bryan at www.pcmforless.com I did check what year car you have but you may consider him. I also got Freescan (which is free... ) and would read the PCM after I download the program. Then, I would send Bryan the lastest scan and he would tune it in. Works well and I don't have to remove and mail the PCM.