LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need LT1 stroker HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 PM

If you have 40+psi you have enough fuel to fire the engine. You seem to get good spark. So the only thing left is compression and incoming air into the engine unless your fuel psi is out of whack.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 PM

I would guess injectors.

Pull the coil wire and turn the car over a few times. This will get your plugs wet. Check to see if all of the plugs are wet. If they are, the injectors are firing.

Might be a timing issue or timing chain.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 PM

NoStang: Yes indeed I had the block decked. After loosing some rockers I would bump the motor come back and the same rocker would be tight again. While cranking the motor I can hear some type of sucking or vacumm noises and its very steady as the motor turns.

Grip:Im still not convinced that the injectors are firing considering the fact the niod light was flashing. Im starting to agree with TA Lt1. IM tempted to pull off that opti that I got from the junk yard and put my old one back on.
Chris
Old 08-06-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by LT1CST
Well I double checked the opti last night and the hook ups to make sure the wires are hooked up right, And they are. The only thing that I can think of is on the passenger side opti hook ups. I have the wires routed underneath the motor mount and their wrapped around the front part of the opti near the tension pully. So almost all of them are somewhat at a 90 degree. NOt sure that means anything but I thought I would point that hout. The dowel pin on the back of this opti is the same exact length as my old one. I placed them side by side. By removing the a spark plug wire and placing a spark plug on the end of it and firing it with seeing blue spark lead me to believe that the the opti was functioning properly and I was getting enough spark. Now I asked the question about the gas tank. From my experience everytime ive opened the gas cap and pressure comes out I always thought I was out of gas. But maybe not because I turned the key on and the gas gauge reads half. But the car is on jack stands too so im not sure if im getting an accurate reading.,
The dowel pin is on the end of the cam shaft not the opti. It fits into the back of the opti in one of the three slots If your pin is too short it might not be engaging in the right place on the opti. You would still be getting spark but your timing would be off.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Ok Pizza man I know what your refferring too. I dont have that type of opti. I have the one that requires the tooth dowl pin that mates from the opti to the cam gear. I think that might be off.
CHris
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM

If you haven't yet, spray starting fluid right into the TB. That was the key to starting mine when I had the same issues as you. I just had to get it started and hold the rpms up for a while until it could idle on it's own.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Administrator

You mention picking up a vented Opti from (what you thought was) a 95. Then you mention the splined shaft (its not a "dowal pin") that connects the Opti drive to the cam sprocket. A 95 vented Opti is driven by the cam dowel pin and has an unsplined pilot shaft that goes through an unsplined hole in the cam sprocket, and pushes into the nose of the cam, and requires a different timing cover and a different timing set. The 94 Opti wiring harness will also not plug into a vented Opti.

Something is wrong. Sounds like you got an unvented Opti.

And yes, it is VERY easy to align the "missing tooth" on the splined shaft incorrectly and throw the timing off.

That's not air coming out of you fuel tank when you pull the cap - its fuel vapor, generated by heat. And its not generated by fuel pump pressure. And it doesn't indicate you are out of gas. The tank will hold a bit of vapor pressure, trying to force the venting vapor through the EVAP canister so it will absorb the HC vapor. There's a pressure relief valve in the line from the fuel tank to the canister. You may have a problem with that line, or the canister may be plugged up. A faulty fuel pump would also cause the fuel to heat up and generate excessive vapor in the tank.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 AM

try unpluging the harness from the opti...if the connector is short and you indeed have the "vented" opti then time to contact summit and get caspers opti harness adapter that was my only problem when my car would crank but not fire http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 PM

I ran the vin numbers on the donor car that I got parts off of. And it was a 94 camaro LT1. The opti spark that I picked up has exactly the same small spline shaft in the back but has a small tube underneath it. It looks to be a vented type. INjunneer yes I have the timing cover that requires the spline (94) Today im going to pull everything off the front check the splines and fired it up. Ill give you an update soon.
Chris
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 PM

vat cause u switch the pcm
Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LT1CST
I ran the vin numbers on the donor car that I got parts off of. And it was a 94 camaro LT1. The opti spark that I picked up has exactly the same small spline shaft in the back but has a small tube underneath it. It looks to be a vented type. INjunneer yes I have the timing cover that requires the spline (94) Today im going to pull everything off the front check the splines and fired it up. Ill give you an update soon.
Chris
Then someone put a newer cap on an unvented Opti, or they added a nipple to the unvented cover as some people do in an attempt to provide a vent.

The harness wire being bent at 90-degrees sounds suspect. That should show up as loss of the pulse signals, which sets codes.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:08 PM

Its a FRICKING MIRICLE!!!!! YAHHH HOOO!!.
I popped off the opti this morning. Removed the spline shaft and reinstalled it just to make sure the teeth were lined up correctly. Bolted the opti back on the motor. And she fired right up. WOW!!! I can't believe something so simple can cause havick. In conclusion it looks like the teeth were off there for the Opti EYE was not reading the cam. I would like to thank YOU ALLLLL For helping me with my issues. I LOVE this board so much it is very useful. There are great people that help on this board and I just wanna thank you guys. CUDDOS to TA Lt1 and FrydClutch. Thanks Guys
Chris\
P.S. Now I have to adjust the valves The motor is reving high like crazy LOL.